So Bad They're Good : Tales from the Darkside

Tales from the Darkside

Tales from the Darkside (1983) I feel is one of the perfect examples of something being so bad that it's good. The cheese factor is there, the forced 80s soap opera music is there. It's like Tales from the Crypt but without all the obligatory swearing and nudity that came with the fact that it was on HBO.

There are a lot of episodes where they felt like they had written themselves into a corner and the episode just ends abruptly without any real closure, but that just adds to the charm for me. They almost feel like stories a little child would tell without much forethought.

Re: Tales from the Darkside

I love shows like this. It seems there were alot of shows with this the outer limits story. I got hooked on Tales when Syfy would show it for 4 hours once a week. I liked the beginning the creepy black and white part and music.

I think Night Gallery did that with some of their tales they just ended.

“Heroes get remembered, but legends never die.”

― Babe Ruth

I use to stay up late on Friday nights in the 80's when in came on. The begging narration was so creepy.

I disagree.

I think that some episodes are so good, they're great (The Last Car, Seasons of Belief, Going Native, In the Cards, The Geezenstacks) while others are so bad, they're awful (Basher Malone, Seymourlama, Barter, Djinn No Chaser, The Yattering And Jack), and there's a whole lot of room for the rest somewhere in between (and I agree with you that a bigger budget and/or more time could've made some a lot better).

There May Be a Case For…
The only episode that I can think of that might fit into the "So Bad, It's Good" category is Mary Mary. It's supposed to be this sad tale of a woman so afraid of her own shadow that she hides behind a mannequin. But she has a good job that she goes out to each day, so it's not like she's a hermit who never dares to leave the house and interact with anyone.

I actually think this episode is hilarious (unintentionally of course), and that's why it might fit into this category. Here's my complete write-up of this episode on the TFTD-board… https://filmboards.com/board/p/3148941/

Runner-Up
Okay, so I just thought of another one that might fit into that category, and it's My Own Place. It's another one that I find amusing ("We have a toilet!"), but I don't think that it's supposed to be. Here's my write-up of this one… https://filmboards.com/board/p/1956234/

Runher up? what?

"That's a dumb question, Miss Glenn's Manhood."

I disagree. I will admit the production values of the show were not the greatest. But I think it still took itself seriously. I sure did.

the production values of the show were not the greatest. But I think it still took itself seriously

I agree. I love Tales from the Darkside. It was low budget but the stories were usually good and there were some good actors on the show (some famous and some soon to be famous ones). The opening narration and music is so creepy, too.

You should not have edited your post. You were fine the first time.

I had more to say.

Try A Case Of The Stubborns with a very young Christian Slater.
It's one of the funniest and the most disgusting of the lot.

Fasten Your Seatbelts….
It's Going To Be A Bumpy Night!

I thought it was a cool little show. A substantial number of episodes boasted quirky and creative writing plus it was cool to see character actors like Keenan Wynn and Vic Tayback in rare lead roles.

You've seen Guy Standeven in something since the man was in everything.

http://movie-dude.co.uk/Guy%20Standeven.htm