Samson & Delilah 2009
Look Both Ways 2005

Re: Poll suggestion: Best Australian films, mostly unknown

They're both well known.

How about:

Inanimate Objects
The 25th Reich

Hi Aussiefilmcollector, thanks for your reply. They may be well know to Australian's but not to overseas countries. Thanks for the two films you have suggested.

I see. But you didn't specify that they not be known overseas. Those two films I suggested wouldn't be know of by most Australians, so basically no-one would know of them overseas.

Hi Aussiefilmcollector, yes you are correct. As I feel this site seems to predominantly be skewed towards US or to a lessor degree European content. So my reckoning was that mainly those living on those continents would respond to my poll. Will check out your films anyway. My objective is to start a conversation about and promote Australian film.

Well, that's interesting to me, because I have the largest collection of Australian movies in private hands in the country. Where are you, and why the interest in promoting Australian film?

I am in Brisbane Australia. I am simply a film lover and appreciate Australian cinema, unlike a lot of my country men and woman who still suffer from the "Aussie cringe". They seem to be of the opinion, that unless a film is made overseas and particularly in the US then probably not worth watching or paying the money to see it! Also, as a proud Australian I will always support and promote my country.

I should have mentioned that I'm in Sydney. I assumed that would be obvious, but when I look at it, it's apparent that I could be an Aussie film collector based anywhere.

You might be interested to know, then, that I often get emails from Americans who can't watch any more, the CGI-laden dross being churned out by Hollywood, and are turning to Australian movies for something a lot more appealing. I'm getting regular requests to offer recommendations as to what to buy and watch.

Hi, well that is good news. Keep up the good work. Please remember to post me any new Aussie films you may see for me to check out. Enjoy.

I have all of my films on an Excel sheet. Oh, hang on, I've got around another twenty I have to add to that list before it's complete. If you're interested in seeing what I've got, (collected over twenty-five years), send me a private message, and I'll attach a copy of my list. If you love Australian film, you're in for a treat. I hope to have those remaining titles added to my list by the end of the weekend.

Hi, ok will do, back soon, thanks

Hello there from New England NSW...
Clay (1965) A film mostly unknown, only 18 votes here at IMDb!, an Australian art-house film , a notable highlight which stands out in an otherwise unproductive and unimaginative decade of Australian films.
In other places this was an era that saw outstanding creative film production, "new waves " broke out across Europe and in Japan.
Clay was the first Australian film selected for competition at the Cannes Film Festival, it is a striking visual poem independently produced, directed and written by Giorgio Mangiamele who also was the cinematographer!
Highly Recommend ....Ronin Films (AUS) has a Mangiamele boxed set!

Hi manfromplanetx, I have never heard of Clay, it sounds wonderful. Will add to my list to watch, which is what I wanted, to hear and be recommended "rare" Australian films and for us all to learn more about our great industry.

I loved these ones which have under 800 votes so I think they might be unknown

The Nothing Men (2010) - very bleak slow thriller which maybe was based on a play? From memory (saw it a long time ago) it's set in one room

We of the Never Never (1982)
- Top notch period drama set in the outback

Yolngu Boy (2001) - very good film about 3 Aboriginal (Yolngu) teens. If you liked Samson and Deliliah you may want to check this out.

The Fringe Dwellers (1982) - a film about racism and an Aboriginal family who move into a white neighbourhood.

Mad Bastards (2010) - about an Aboriginal guy who had left his family and his return to see his tearaway son.

Sunday Too Far Away (1975) - Sheep shearing movie with Jack Thompson

Careful, He Might Hear You (1983) - a great drama about a little boy whose mother died and his aunts tug of war

The Devil's Playground (1976) - I don't know why this has such few votes, it's a Fred Schepisi film

Last Train to Freo (2006) I loved this film, it's a very good thriller set on a carriage on a train

The Odd Angry Shot (1979) - A very good Vietnam war movie that is really quite funny.

Hi Professor, have seen most of these, but a couple I haven't, will add to my list of ones to watch. "Careful, he might hear you" was wonderful as was "The Devil's Playground", "Sunday Too Far Away" was also great, my 3 favs of those I have seen on your list. As I mentioned in my poll suggestion, "Look Both Ways" if actually my fav Oz film - so far. Another I really liked was "Japanese Story" with Toni Collette, it was a very subtle love story, which reflected that quiet stillness of the Japanese manner and the stillness of the Oz outback and how love can reach you when you least expect it and in the most unusual situations.

This is a good thread, I have seen Look Both Ways and Japanese Story and enjoyed them. I have seen a bunch of Aussie films, most have been decent (and some not so good). Breaker Morant, Hercules Returns and The Castle are my favourites. I will keep an eye on this thread and hopefully I can get some good recommendations I haven't seen yet.

List of Aussie movies I have seen so far if you want some more recommendations http://www.imdb.com/list/ls054783694/

Hi Professor, thanks for that. Oh yes The Castle, how could I forget The Castle, great performances and so Australian! Also Don's Party, great classic, so of it's time!

Getting some great tips!... here a couple more favourite Aus. films mostly unknown from my collection for consideration...

Silent Partner (2001). Two mates, loveable losers, partner up to train a Greyhound dog for racing. A very Australian film on trust & friendship with a great soundtrack from Paul Kelly. 113 votes IMDb

Road To Nhill (1997). Set in a small country town with a great ensemble cast,
"In the same comic tradition as 'The Castle', but vastly superior." - David Stratton. 163 votes IMDb

Bedevil (1993). Three tales of the supernatural from Indigenous visual artist, Tracey Moffatt, combined in one extraordinary debut feature film, rich in virtuosic design, drama and movement. 73 votes IMDb

Hi, manfromplanetx, love that my list to watch is growing. Of the three you mention, I have heard only of Road to Nhill, did not realise David Stratton gave it such a good review. Has you seen Last Cab to Darwin? what did you think?