Rancho Deluxe : Best Things about this film…

Best Things about this film…

1. The locations: it's worth watching just for the gorgeous Montana scenery.

2. Jimmy Buffett: just watched this film for the first time in about 30 years--I did not remember Jimmy Buffett composed the score, or performed onscreen.

3. "Mexican overdrive:" I am still laughing!! Obviously made during a pre-PC time--although my first husband, who was 5th generation Mexican-American, G-d rest his soul, would have gotten a kick out of the answer ("Neutral.")

Oh yeah, and Sam Waterston and Jeff Bridges ain't bad either.

"If you can't say anything nice, come sit by me!"

Re: Best Things about this film…

This movie is a classic. Best kind of classic too. The kind that is just as classic as a cult film, yet has no cult followers *beep* it to death.

It was OK for a 70´s film I thought.

If it harms none, do what thou wilt.

It is a cult movie and is referenced in the afterword of Danny Peary's book, Cult Movies
I'd love to hear from fans of this cult movie.

wait what? what point are you making? what is wrong with cult films?

lukejbarnett

That was Warren Oates in a cameo on the harmonica if you didn't notice. I watched the DVD again last night and I enjoy the movie but the print was pretty crappy.

Thomas McGuane, the author of Rancho Deluxe -- as well as The Missouri Breaks, Tom Horn, Cold Feet, 92 in the Shade (which he also directed) and more than a dozen fabulous novels -- is also in that band scene with Warren Oates. Playing guitar, as I recall.

you should watch it on Screen Pix on demand in HD. you can watch this film there if you have comcast cable. it looks perfect in this version.

lukejbarnett

Slim Pickens's line about shooting a cow with a Sharps 50 caliber buffalo rifle:

"Blew a hole in him big enough to throw a cat through"

A true laugh out loud line (one reviewer didn't listen to this apparently). This line should be in the IMDB quotes section.

Patti D'Abranville's huge erect nipples.

exactly. my gosh, so fucking hot. and i love how she's so into her sex. she really gets into it with all her sounds. did you notice all her loud sex sounds my gosh.

i love how '70s movies were like this. they'd show you a scene of reality like this which wasn't trying to be showy like they do nowadays with sex scenes. it seems like everytime they do a sex scene that is graphic, they do it in a way that is gratuitous and so it's only there to be edgy but in the '70s they did them just to be realistic.

she was so hot in her sex scene. a star is born. i hate how it was shot though because its' shot in a way where you can't ever really see what her nipples or areolas or boobs look like, from the side and not much of her tits are shown.

lukejbarnett

this movie has an unrecognizable sam waterston. my gosh, i don't know if i've ever seen an actor look more different than how i remember them looking. he looks so boyish, and different with long hair in this movie.

it's really hard for me to imagine this being the same guy who works on court cases on law and order. he doesn't look tall on law and order for one thing and another thing is his voice sounds different in this film than how it sounds on law and order.

lukejbarnett