The Omen : Was the 1st nanny unaware of her actions, or a willing sacrifice?

Was the 1st nanny unaware of her actions, or a willing sacrifice?

When she hung herself, I mean. It does seem a bit out of place to me that the Devil would have the power to turn someone into a possessed zombie and cause them to kill themselves against their will. It seems to violate the Christian precept of Free Will. Furthermore, the film give us no other motive for why she would do it, although perhaps the novelization by David Seltzer gives more information. Think about it - if the Devil could simply have willed people to commit suicide, why didn't he attempt to force the wayward priest, the photographer, or the Thorns to commit suicide? It would have been much tidier and less suspicions, right?

If you watch the scene, it doesn't appear the first nanny is in a trance-like state after seeing the dog, and she kills herself joyously with a smile on her face, so I'm not sure mind control is very convincing anyway. I mean you could read it as a trance, but you could just as easily read it as purposeful action on the part of the doomed nanny.

This leads us to an interesting supposition: what if the Nanny intended to kill herself all along and the the Black Dog was merely a signal for her to do her thing. Let's go further and push it to the logical conclusion: that the first nanny may herself have been part of the Satanic coven that Mrs. Baylock belonged to, and perhaps had been placed in that job for the very purpose of caring for Damien until his sixth birthday, and then sacrificing herself to make way for Mrs. Baylock's tender mercies. I'm talking of course about a deliberate ritual sacrifice by a true believer, who appears joyous and in control of her free will precisely because she IS a true believer and in control of her free will.

I would find this scenario actually ever more scary than the more conventional explanation for that scene, and it would imply a pretty vast Satanic network in place in Great Britain, and world wide. It would also more easily explain why they accept Mrs. Baylock as the new nanny. People often wonder if they checked her references - but suppose that was precisely the problem, they DID check her references, never dreaming that the entire nanny agency was riddled with Satanists, and perhaps even run by a Satanist for the express purpose of placing agents close to the Thorns and other powerful people.

P.S. I doubt this is what the filmmakers intended, but it's an interesting thought all the same.

Re: Was the 1st nanny unaware of her actions, or a willing sacrifice?

There seem to be Satanists all around them. If it was a case of making way for Baylock, she could have simply resigned. This way is creepier. The film gives the impression she is hypnotised by the dog but why aren't others suggestible in this way, as you say?
We just do not have enough backstory the first nanny - I don't know if the novel or novelisation supplied it.

"Chicken soup - with a *beep* straw."

Well, now that I think of it, Omen II, did show another induced suicide near the beginning , and it's pretty clear the Devil was removing an obstacle for Damien, but the same theological objection concerning Free Will remain. However, I don't take the sequels very seriously.

Keep your eyes peeled for the almighty Guy Standeven as some kind of military officer in attendance at Damien's party before the nanny hangs herself. He can be seen in a single crowd shot standing nearby Gregory Peck.

You've seen Guy Standeven in something since the man was in everything.

She was influenced to do it.

Never under-estimate the powerful stare of a demon dog!

True!