James Troesh : An Inspirational Role Model to ALL Disabled People

An Inspirational Role Model to ALL Disabled People

When I suddenly became permanently disabled in 1988, all I could think about were the things that I would never be able to do again. Then I watched an episode of Highway to Heaven starring James Troesh. In that show, his character advises a recently disabled young man to: "Think of what you CAN do; not of what you can't."

As I looked at Mr. Troesh, I realized that he was a perfect example of how that approach to life could benefit a disabled person. In spite of his limitations, he was entertaining millions of television viewers.

For the past 17 years, I've focused on what I could do and conse2000quently have gotten the most out of my life. In 1999, the Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission provided me with a voice-activated Environmental Control Unit (ECU) made by Quartet Technology Inc. (www.qtiusa.com). By using simple voice commands, I'm able to control my hospital bed, bedroom lights, TV, cable, stereo, CD player, and drapery opener. The ECU gave me a sense of independence that I hadn't experienced since before I became disabled.

Ever since I got the ECU, I've wanted to contact Mr. Troesh to make sure that he has one. If anyone out there knows him personally, please relay this information to him.

To you, Mr. Troesh, I'd like to say thanks for being such an inspirational role model to me and ALL disabled people. You've made a difference in my life and I'll always be indebted to you for that.

Re: An Inspirational Role Model to ALL Disabled People

very well said.

Hi, you can e-mail him directly @ jimtroesh@aol.com. He'd love to talk to you. I've talked to him a few times and he's very nice.

If it's useless information, chances are I already know it!

I just watched him on a rerun of Highway to Heaven. He indeed is an inspiration.

I wanted to extend a long overdue thank you to you, kimbro1972, for giving me Jim Troesh's email address in 2007. I contacted him back then and he replied just as you predicted. He took time out of his busy schedule to write me such a nice note and gave me kind words of encouragement.

Several years ago, I returned to college after a 24 year medical leave of absence. I wanted to tell the good news to him, but when I googled his name, I learned that he had recently passed away. It is so disappointing that he died at such a young age. He will forever serve as an inspirational role model to me.

I'm so glad that I was able to thank him directly for having such a positive influence on my life. Please know that by giving me his email address, you afforded me the opportunity to create a special and lasting memory with someone that I had long admired.

You are most welcome my brother. I was sad to hear of his death. I wasn't aware that he passed. I'm so glad that you got an opportunity to connect with him. Just knowing that I played a role in that is so humbling.

If he were still with us, he would be so proud of you, as am I. Hang in there my friend. God bless you always and thank you for your update. :)

If it's useless information, chances are I already know it!

I'd enjoyed his work on Highway to Heaven as a child, and just watched it again. He is still amazing and inspirational.

I'm saddened to see that he passed away, and so young, too.

He is an inspiration to all handicapped
including the empathically-impaired, which I sometimes can be.

Sometimes I'm really hard at work, other times it's just an act.