Shu Qi : Asian actresses are way too thin

Re: Asian actresses are way too thin

I am Asian myself, and i was once quite an athlete, without a sigle hint of muscles on my frame. Asian females, especially those who are leaner, do not have bulk, unlike our Caucasian counterparts. (The most that will happen to a fit female who works out is that her shoulders will broaden slightly, and her skin will tighten.) Asians are naturally built differently, with smaller frames and muscles that are hardly noticeable-as I am Asian, it is thus not unrealistic to me to see a thin Asian actress kicking ass :)

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

asian chicks rarely work out, and that's one of the reasons why they dont have that toned muscles and stuff. they pretty much look like a stick figure.

shutup fatty

eff u

no thanks, ill leave that for the "stick thin" asian girls

Asian here; it's not so much about the diet as about the genes, as other people have pointed out. We have our own BMI standards adjusted from the Western ones, because an Asian who has a healthy BMI by Western standards might actually be medically overweight and prone to health problems associated with obesity.

Meanwhile I eat lots of Western food and am still severely underweight. hmm.gif

-
www.freewebtown.com/anakinmcfly

Post deleted

If you ever find an asian woman who is overweight or obese, it will be your lucky day, b'cos they're rare.

I'm one lucky person, then. I see several every day.

-
www.freewebtown.com/anakinmcfly

You're dealing with genetics here. Qi Shu might very well pound down more food than the average white woman does in a day and still look the way she does. I wouldn't be surprised if she did. It's a combination of a small frame and high than average metabolism for a woman.

Post deleted

I seriously doubt that those Asian actresses are all healthier than American actresses - the latter pays alot of money to have good diet/nutrition, trainers etc and like someone else said, the Chinese doesn't care about any of that, they just want to be skinny.

A member of IMDb since 1999

Interesting thread.

Wish people could give an objective opinion instead of being critical of race.

Different body types,different lifestyle and diet. Saying they aren't healthy just because Asian females are thin and lack muscle tone (relative to caucasians)is quite ignorant really.

As far as the above statement goes, yes American actresses probably pay a lot of money for nutritionists trainers etc. But Asian woman's 'normal' diet is probably a lot healthier than a American woman's 'normal' diet.

But I have to agree also whats been said here, in my own experience, Asian Asian;) women seem generally to believe in the thinner by eating less mindset.

Whats beautiful? every one has their own opinion and we know what the magazines and tv want us to believe is beautiful.

Qi Shu though, pretty fine in some of the IMDB photos.

Ok first off I think Qi Shu is really super cute (a freakishly amazing face) and her body doesn't look sickly from the movies and pics i have seen unlike those of Kiera Knightly and other Hollywood actresses

Another thing is I believe that Chinese entertainment and most Asian (China, HK, Korea, and Japan) are obsessed with the YOUNG look roll.gif no offense but the pressure of remainin7ecg thin in Asian Cinema is pretty obvious. You can tell that men prefer very young looking women and that's why some older women opt for pills and not too much exercising. I've had many Asian girlfriend who've told me that, some even told me they take laxatives on the weekend when they know they'll be home a lot, take diet pills, pretend to eat (order a meal and only eat 1/4 of whats on the plate) One of my close friends was already thin and still took pills, smoked a lot to cut her craving for dinner (sometimes she'd eat like an animal though and people always wondered how she kept thin cuz she'd eat a lot when we'd go out and everyone wouldn't know that she wouldn't eat for a DAY or TWO sometimes!!! I never told anyone cuz she didn't look sickly i mean now that she's a lot older she's mentally unstable..) that story said i'm not saying that ALL Asian women are like that - they're not. Most Asian girls I know are quite Chunky and over 25

i love me

She looked compact and curvy enough to me giveup.gif Dynamite comes in small packages!!

wave.gif

It's made from bits of real panther, so you know it's good

Asian people just tend to be small?

I'm gonna throw a planet at your facecoolmonkey.gif

Americans are too fat. There is no other place on earth where you can find an all-you-can-eat buffet.

If that's true about buffets, thank God I'm American. Life would suck without Chinese buffets :-)

Americans too fat? Maybe if you've been brainwashed by American beauty magazines. And the tv media about how all these kids are obese. Well, they must all never leave their homes, because every time I go to the mall, 95% of the kids/teens I see are healthy looking. Yeah, some Americans are "morbidly obese" (what a kind term lol), for various reasons (not always diet and exercise, that's just ignorant). However, if you believe what my fellow Americans on imdb say, we're all the picture of perfect health lol I'd rather be honest, kind, and "average sized" than fake, cruel, and skinny, but that's just me :-)

"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

Stupid thread. Hyori Lee is an example of an asian celebrity that is thin and TONEDshe dances a lot so that is expected. Get a clue people

"Number one doesn't always win." -Rafael Nadal

It seems a lot of people here are out to bash Americans (because we know this person is american even?) and to justify the thinness of Asian women. Well, I can tell you that the culture in Asia for being thin is really just that ridiculous. Open any Asian magazine, and you will see ridiculous ads for weight loss - there are creams, machines, clubs, etc to help lose weight. The culture for beauty in Asia is very extreme, and sometimes I think it is more extreme than in westernized countries. Of course, an idealization of western characteristics (like having an eye fold) have filtered their way into Asia - more and more you see Asian women with eye surgery for an eye fold, blonde hair, breast augmentation, etc.

Yes, of course Asian people are actually just smaller people in general. But I don't think that is a way to justify the extremity of how thin Asian people really can get. Some Asians really are just that naturally thin, and I know that from experience. Others are not, but they get that thin by very extreme means, and I also know that from experience. There is a whole culture of "keep fit" in Chinese culture (I am not sure if it extends so far to other Asian cultures) whereby "keeping fit" is really a euphemism for starving oneself - that is why you don't see a lot of athletic looking Asian women because a lot of them just don't eat enough, and don't exercise in the way that would build muscle tone.

I don't think fair for anybody to really point fingers though at any one culture for perpetuating this insane ideal f5b4or feminine beauty. Western celebrities are just as bad as Asian ones, you can't even tell what age any one celebrity is anymore because of all the surgery that is out there. There is an interesting book out there called "The Lolita Effect" which even though it reads like a self-help guide book for parents with "prostitot" daughters, I find it helps to explain a lot of our contemporary culture surrounding beauty.

I'm glad that you brought this issue up though, because it's a really good thing when people notice and make comments about the unnaturalness of many celebrities. The media is so ingrained in our lives and I think that most of the time we don't even notice how much it effects us. I know that I may try to view the media critically, but of course I have "fat days" and don't feel beautiful enough after watching a movie with somebody like Scarlett Johansen or read after I flip through a fashion magazine. And it's ridiculous, because we shouldn't let things like that in the world dictate how we feel about ourselves.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. And before anybody cries about how bias I am, or that I'm jealous of Asian women or racist just keep in mind that I am Asian and everything I have said is based on observation as living as an Asian woman in both North America and in China.

But I don't think that is a way to justify the extremity of how thin Asian people really can get.

There is no need to 'justify' anything. You are probably not Asian and thus have no real insight into their way of life and especially their culture and how they THEMSELVES view this (non) issue. It's not for you to decide.

Fact is that America is one of the 'fattest' countries in the world. So now people stop pointing at slim actresses, singers and models because 'we have done that long enough' and go on to attack (maybe a bit strong but still) other cultures. Anorexia, bulimia and so on are all horrible and kids should be properly educated that being fit doesn't mean you should starve yourselve. BTW, that's the job of the parents. Still I think it's funny how a small group (of mostly troubled people to beginn with mental problems, drugs ect.) are constantly attacked when the majortiy of the entertainment industry is actually more on the fit side and does in fact not support and idolize 'unhealthy' physique. Sure there are still some designers (especially in Paris) that favor the supper skinny look, but to a big part it went out of fashion. There are hardly any anorexic supermodels.
But instead of dealing with the real problem that is obesity, people try to justify it.

Post deleted