Red Dawn : Who agrees that this was an excellent movie

Who agrees that this was an excellent movie

Who was a teenager when this movie came out in 1984??
(I was and red dawn is an excellent movie and one of my favorites)!!

Re: Who agrees that this was an excellent movie

It had a lot of not-so-hidden antiwar sentiment, and it tried to humanize the Soviet troops especially the young conscripts. There was a lot of cheap Chuck Norris type patriotic crap but at the same time was a commentary on the nature of war, where nothing is really cut and dried....you had executions, torture, terrorism, and things the Geneva Convention didn't allow but it happened anyway.

No one involved cared about the Geneva Convention - it was an invasion. Folk who attack and try to conquer another country generally don't give a crap about protocol. Just sayin...

I was 9 when it came out, live in Colorado, and loved this movie as a pre-teen/teenage boy; however unlikely the premise is, it will always hold a special place in my heart.

"I do not like mixing up moralities and mathematics."
Churchill

It was plain awful. It was just so laughable. I realize you have to suspend disbelief to some extent while watching a movie like this, but a literal handful of untrained, inexperienced teenagers just mowing down dozens and dozens of well-trained and well-equipped professional Soviet Army troops without taking any casualties at all? It's beyond absurd. The cheesiness was palpable too. There was so much cheese, you'd need a chainsaw to cut through it. I don't believe any movie ever made me cringe as much as this one, and i've seen a lot of cheese.

Sig under construction

"but a literal handful of untrained, inexperienced teenagers just mowing down dozens and dozens of well-trained and well-equipped professional Soviet Army troops without taking any casualties at all?"

There's the problem. You must have watched a different movie. In Red Dawn, they took plenty of casualties.

About one for every one hundred Soviets.

The knack to flying lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

I realize you have to suspend disbelief to some extent while watching a movie like this, but a literal handful of untrained, inexperienced teenagers just mowing down dozens and dozens of well-trained and well-equipped professional Soviet Army troops without taking any casualties at all?
Casualties there were, but as to the rest....ever hear of the Vietnam conflict?

The Cong/NVA lost ten to one to our men, though half of their casualties were from artillery and air

> from artillery and air

The air must be mighty poisonous in Vietnam.

When it is raining bombs and machine gun bullets or Agent Orange

You should learn something about Viet Nam and the failed US attempt to conquer it.

What's interesting is the US could've defeated the Vietnamese in a week if they really wanted to.

Not without nuclear weapons. The Pentagon studied the problem in 1962, fourteen years after we got involved, and concluded that it would take one million men ten more years to subdue Vietnam. When Kennedy got the report he ordered US troops out of Vietnam. If you think it is so easy, why not enlist and get a taste for yourself.

Not without nuclear weapons. The Pentagon studied the problem in 1962, fourteen years after we got involved, and concluded that it would take one million men ten more years to subdue Vietnam. When Kennedy got the report he ordered US troops out of Vietnam. If you think it is so easy, why not enlist and get a taste for yourself.

First of all, we are no longer at war with Vietnam so it would make no sense for me to enlist now.

My father served in Vietnam so I'm going on what he said.

The captain of the USS Enterprise developed a plan in 1967 to end the war in a couple of weeks. it involved the bombing of the north Vietnam dams, the mining of Haiphong harbor and a strategic map of key government facilities. Other parts of the plan included the defoliation of large areas that were known to be filled with Vietcong, such as the A Shau Valley.

The government officials who wanted the war to continue made sure they dropped leaflets warning the Viet Cong that they were going to bomb A Shau Valley in advance, so the Viet Cong left 3 or 4 days before the bombing.

No other elements of the plan were implemented.

The military industrial complex made hundreds of billions of dollars and president Lyndon Johnson died a very rich man.

With the exception of mining Haiphong harbor, we did do all that. We continued bombing even after we ran out of targets. We even subjected our own troops to Agent Orange. But, since 90% of all Vietnamese in the south were either Viet Cong or their supporters, the outcome was foregone. "South Vietnam" never existed, it was purely our fiction to justify our invasion.
Nixon, too, had a Secret Plan" to end the war in weeks; it lasted for his entire presidency and most of the names on the Wall died during his administration.
If your Dad believes that then he must have been in the Air Force or Navy. None of the guys who slept in mud holes would spout anything so ridiculous.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

I agree it was an excellent movie and I have watched it a number of times with family and friends who all also enjoy it very much indeed.
As to a bunch of irregulars and teenagers running out the Reds, well I seem to remember the Mujahedeen, with the aid of a few of our stingers, running the Ruskies right the heck out of there. As far as tens, I was 17 when I joined the Navy, and I wasn’t the only one, so there is that. It can happen, especially if you have defensible terrain and very committed personnel. I thought the movie was great for a few reasons. One, I liked the cast, turns out there were a lot of up and comers in it as well as Ben Johnson and Powers Boothe and a couple others; Two, I lived only about thirty miles from where most of the movie was shot, the helicopter sequence was up by Abiquiu Reservoir and I lived in the nearby Jemez Mountains, just west of Los Alamos, The Atomic City so it was nice seeing all the local scenery. Three, I worked at the Los Alamos National Laboratory for 30 some years supporting our side in the Cold War so to speak, so it was refreshing to see a patriotic movie for a change, just felt good to me, Hollywood had been slamming us for many years at that time and I was mighty tired of it. You need to realize it was just a movie and based on a fairly an unlikely premise, but that’s entertainment after all, no one said it was going to be a historically accurate documentary. Just plain fun. Rich in New Mexico.

Have you ever heard of the American Revolutionary War??? Farmers, Candle makers, Horse *beep* removal engineers, and all their children all the way down to 12 years old, took hunting rifles from their barns and beat the worlds most highly trained, well armed army on the planet. Just think, that really happened, and it even happened in the same country the movie is set!

Post deleted

I was 13 when this came out. I enjoyed it then and I still do.

http://booklocker.com/books/5357.html

Post deleted

Surprised by your Fox news comment, I thought Mr. Holder and Mr. Obama hated Fox news. It is the only one that is not 100% in bed with them and the Democrats and those two are the biggest bigots and racists that come to mind. Rich in New Mexico.

Damn straight

Surprised by your Fox news comment, I thought Mr. Holder and Mr. Obama hated Fox news. It is the only one that is not 100% in bed with them and the Democrats and those two are the biggest bigots and racists that come to mind. Rich in New Mexico.
Server error? I'll try again.

I saw this when I was 10 in the theatre and it was quite chilling. The idea of being invaded seemed real and the movie really packed a punch.

I know that now people attack it- but you can't say that the first 15 mins aren't scary and amazing at the same time?

And for everyone who says 'it can't happen this way' - what would've happened if someone decided to do this the same day/time as 9/11???

This is a very good movie. I feel it still stands up for the most part - even though our enemy (Soviets) are gone...

I think that some parts of it were excellent, but it is a very good movie to say the least. Overall very good dolby surround and a good plot.
raygun-3

I don't know that I'd call it excellent, but it's certainly entertaining.

I was a teenager in 1984. The movie was a fun ripsnorting action flick for an American boy. History just hasn't been kind to it.

Well, this waste of celluloid had no respect for history or even common sense. Only a card carrying loony from the Birch society or the NRA could like this piece of fecal matter, even at age ten. And since this was made while the US was invading Nicaragua in support of that invasion, it is particularly obscene.

My dad was a teenager when the movie came out and now i'm watching it and its a pretty good movie 7/10 stars at least.

I was in 5th grade when I first saw it. Watched it again recently. There's some pretty heady stuff in there amongst the action -- having to kill a friend because he sold you out, for example. Flawed movie, indeed, but those that go to extremes to debase this movie are either disingenuous or extremely poor at being objective.

I was a teen and loved this movie. At a time when people were still on edge about a possible war with the Russians (albeit a nuclear one), this was a movie that came out with decent timing, a cast full of up-and-coming actors, and the sort of 80s David vs. Goliath mentality that made so many films of that era fun to watch.

Forget the naysayers. Some people are only happy when they are unhappy.

I loved it then, I love it now, it gets too much hate from revisionists.

I loved it then, I love it now, it gets too much hate from revisionists.

Well said, HyperU2! Couldn't have put it better myself....

"Good night, and grease for peace."

http://youtu.be/TBAuO1McLxg

Let's see, I was 16 in 1984. When I first saw it, it certainly wasn't the best movie I'd ever seen, but I liked it. Even then I found the plot to be a tad difficult to buy into, but like some other posters already mentioned, in an era when we felt like at any moment it could literally be raining nuclear missiles, it made one feel (for a helpless teenager) empowered. Like, "hey I could do that!"

Whenever it's playing on TV, I usually watch part if not all of it. The on-screen TV guide thing gives it 1 star...LOL...I mean, yeah it's cheesy. But in a good 80s kinda way. Probably most of the people bashing it are too young to remember 1984. If I was only 20 now, I'd probably be saying the same thing - "I don't get it. It's an awful movie." In this day & age it must seem like a very silly movie.

»«ëÕ|{¥(V)
I can't understand your crazy moon language.

It is far from an excellent movie.
To echo a lot of already posted comments...it's cheesy, poorly acted, unbelievable to an extreme, downright bloodthirsty at times....but i still Love it !
I was just out of college when this came out and i thought it was pretty silly then too. But i have seen the thing no less than 30 times and i will again.
Guilty pleasure maybe? Whatever...it just entertains me so who cares if it's really a "good" movie or not.

I love it. I just finished watching again.

Slinky + Escalator = Endless Fun

Post deleted

I was 4 when this movie came out, so I had to wait a few years to see it. I liked the movie and still do. It has some good messages.

I find it frightening that there are people who mock this and don't see the value in the messages within. Apparently they think the human race has evolved so much in the last 200 years that our country (or any country) is no longer under threat of an invasion by a foreign country.

because obviously countries don't do that kind of thing anymore, right?

Watch this movie and "Machete" back-to-back and you will no longer be a doubter.

My "#3" key is broken so I'm putting one here so i can cut & paste with it.

I've always enjoyed the way they portrayed the invasion. The scene where the teens hide from a passing Huey at the petrol station always has that striking feel of realism.

If only the remake followed the same style, but having seen the trailer, it looks more like a popcorn action flick.

Apparently they think the human race has evolved so much in the last 200 years that our country (or any country) is no longer under threat of an invasion by a foreign country.

The US is safe not because of any evolution in humanity, but simply because neither of the United States' neighbours have ever been capable of an invasion on their own and because an invasion from overseas has simply not been possible sine before the middle of the nineteenth century. You'd need to scrap most of the US navy and a great deal of the Army and Air Force for it to be at all feasible. Nothing at all like that is being contemplated.

What most people miss in this movie is that Washington D.C. and several other cities were wiped out by nuclear strikes and also the Chinese were our allies but over half of them were wiped out by nukes. Paratroopers were dropped from fake commercial airliners to seize key positions. Cubans in Mexico defeated opposition and came up from there. I see so many actual movie reviewers and critics who have missed this important bit of information that is given by LTC Tanner in the movie.

I just watched this movie and it surprised me. I watched the trailer before watching it and I thought the trailer was really silly, but the movie is nothing like the trailer. There's actually some good scenes with good dialogues and acting in there.

It helps to watch and view the movie as a fantasy film and NOT a literal, political film that both the left and right try to use to adore/discredit the film.

I view as a fantasy film and an entertaining, dirty, grungy one at that.

The remake on the other hand looks to be a politically correct, pussy footing, glossy model of a film with no substance.

It looks pretty, all the characters look hot and not dirty or grungy looking at all in hope I suppose of gaining that key teenage demographic.

Unfortunately the people behind the remake forgot what the hell they were remaking in the first place.

A fantasy war film, not a film where we look at hot people in a poor attempt to be like Michael Bay's glossy looking films.

I was six when this movie came out and I can't really remember when I first viewed it. It could have been in the theaters or shortly thereafter at home on VHS or HBO. I grew up with this movie and I can honestly say gets better each and everytime I watch it. Yeah there is flaws in it, but they are redeemed by two scenes. Thomas Howell going out yelling Wolverines and Harry Dean Stanton yelling "Boys, avenge me! Avenge me!!!!!" Those two scenes are iconic of 80's cinema.

"We’re changing from a code 3, direct pursuit, to a code 347…completely lost due to incompetence"

Post deleted

I love it, the libs that hate gun ownership are the ones that hate it.

LOL. This was an absolutely terrible movie. Totally implausable, and downright laughable in many parts. Even the combat scenes are laughably low budget and unrealistic. And, of course, the paranoid politics behind it make it even more ridiculous. It's an NRA fantasy come to life ("yup, we fought off them thar commies thanks to are right ta beer arms!") In fact, it's nearly as silly as the remake (which is laughable beyond belief! North Koreans? Heck, they'd line up a MacDonalds and Walmart before they ever got to shooting at us.)

But that being said, I have to say I enjoy watching it. The cast is good, and if you are willing to suspend absolutely any and all disbelief, it's entertaining. And always good for a laugh.

I saw this movie years ago. Tried to watch it again a couple months ago. I had to shut it off after about 20 minutes in. Good god, I did not remember it being this bad. This movie could pass as a bad comedy, nothing else. To each their own..