Black Mirror : Show has good ratings, but 1st episode was a let down

Show has good ratings, but 1st episode was a let down

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone here enjoys watching this show even if they didn't like the first episode? I'm taking time off work at the moment so am looking for a good series on Netflix but I really didn't like the first episode. I just found the premise unrealistic as the government would never publicly give in to the demands of a terrorist. It was a bit hard to really get into the story with that in mind.

I also have more faith in the population than to assume they'd voluntarily sit through an hour of what is essentially a man being broken in the most humiliating way.

Does it get better or is this style of TV just not right for someone like me? Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

Re: Show has good ratings, but 1st episode was a let down

Judging by the specific criticisms you had, I say try the next episode. I guess all the stories lend themselves to being nitpicked in some way, but a good rule is never to judge a series by the first episode. At least watch two before giving up entirely.

I didn't like the first episode at all, but I really enjoyed the rest of the series. Every episode is so different I wouldn't judge the whole series on the first episode.

I decided not to watch the first episode based on feedback on IMDB boards. I've seen all but 3-4 episodes now.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

first epi felt like a "Shock Grab". hate it. also realized they trolled all of us:

WE are the people in the episode CHOOSING to WATCH the ordeal as entertainment.
We CHOSE to watch THIS EPISODE's content AS ENTERTAINMENT. Bah!

Anyway, LOVED all the rest of them. The 1st is not MY idea of entertainment, and I mulled around not watching it several times, then finally did. I wished I picked not to watch it.

WE are the people in the episode CHOOSING to WATCH the ordeal as entertainment.
We CHOSE to watch THIS EPISODE's content AS ENTERTAINMENT. Bah!

owned.

imo

The series is as of right now my favourite anthology ever. Yep, the first episode is still great in terms of acting and directing but it is weaker than the others. So give it a try.

"It doesnt matter what Bram Stoker has told you... dead people don't come back from their graves"

I agree with you about the first episode. I thought it was just stupid. As for the rest of the series its pretty mediocre. It feels like each story is half finished. I mean, they're well acted and everything looks nice, but it feels like half a story. I just felt like 'is that it then?'.

I kept expecting a plot twist or something different to happen, but it never did. I mean its made by the BBC so you can't expect more than 3 episodes a year, but what were they doing? You can't write 3 full episodes?

"It ran for 16 years on the BBC; they did nearly 30 episodes" -Tahani Al-Jamil 'The Good Place'.