Black Mirror : Fifteen Million Merits...

Fifteen Million Merits...

So I just sat down and the last 3-4 days watched all three seasons. Definitely a fan of this show now, cant believe Ive not come across it before! I feel it gets portrayed similar to the TZ series because there arent many episodic shows out that have done it as well as Rod Serling did 60 years ago. Some but not all also have some type of twist or ending that grabs you by suprise as well, which in my opinion if done correctly, cab make or break an episode. As for 15 million merits, what was everyones impression of the ending, very ambiguous which I really enjoy. Those types of endings make for great discusaion. Did anyone else feel like as you looked out over the forest of a world, that Earth or wherever they are has been reclaimed by nature? Possibly centuries in the future and everyone lives in a sort of bunker and pedals their life away? I mean it seems like its all they know, the only life they can envision because its all they have ever seen. Anyway great episode, not my favorite but probably top 3 or 4 so far!

Re: Fifteen Million Merits...

Black mirror is all in the same universe. In white Christmas we see the guy flipping through channels and he comes across Selma on the TV. It kind of takes away from 15MM when you look at it that way, but basically it means those people CHOSE to live that way.

Maybe the system is done a bit differently, and it will be elaborated on later. The ending once you watch the series is not ambiguous though. Earth is fine, and people are living normally (except these people who are there for w/e reason).

I'd say this was more of an easter egg than an indication that every episode takes place in the same universe. The rating system is ubiquitous and inescapable in Nosedive and it's not seen or referred to anywhere else.

I like the ending of 15 Million Merits, its the old what is freedom question. At the end he went from a small cage to a large cage that is just as lot more comfortable.

I dont think that those were windows he was looking out.

I think that with his new job at the end, its simply a matter of him being able to afford better living conditions. His new space is larger and he is not subject to the forced consumption of advertisements and digital media (it costs merits to skip commercials). So instead, his displays are set to a quiet nature scene.

The perks of celebrity.

That does make sense, I never thought about the "windows" being similar to the screens he was watching in his small room before. Also the same time frame does put it in perspective as well, alot of the episodes do make reference to the other shows, so same universe is very plausible!

I think the one shame of the whole "Black Mirror" thing is that each episode could easily be extended by a half hour so and packaged as a movie where it would get more analysis and scrutiny.

I wonder why they were pedaling and how come no one even tries to get the other jobs (there must be someone to stock the vending machines. There must be someone to build and construct the building or program the video games they play).

"Did anyone else feel like as you looked out over the forest of a world, that Earth or wherever they are has been reclaimed by nature?"
I don't understand what this means

The ending felt kind of like "Network" where the angry men gets commodified. I think it was kind of a satisfactory ending in that the guy was never going to get the girl, so the next best thing was simply to be able to express himself.

I am only 6 episodes in (just finished Trump, er, I mean, Waldo).

But so far, 15MM has been the hands down worst episode. Granted, the last 5-10 minutes actually said something, but the first 50-55 mins was painful to get through.

That said, he was NOT looking out windows at the end. Look at the seems between the panes. These were clearly screens. He fully sold out. He wanted to get the girl, the system took he from him. He wanted to escape the knowledge that she was no longer available to him, the system forced him to watch her "work". He wanted to exact his revenge on the judges by killinghimself on stage, the system bought him and took all his dignity in the process.

It was 1984 meets Idiocracy.

I pictured it as something similar to WALL-E. I thought they were rewarded for pedaling because it powered a ship they were on perhaps.