Black Mirror : Some episodes are great, others not so much

Some episodes are great, others not so much

Just my opinion, the social media was okay, the one where the guy goes into VR was pretty good, just kinda hit or miss series.

Re: Some episodes are great, others not so much

I kind of have to agree. The first few episodes I saw were pretty good (shut up and Dance, white Christmas) but can't lie some I saw afterwards were so boring I sort of lost interest.

Like the ones that are good are pretty good, but the ones that aren't good are boring and sometimes fall below the mediocre level. I remember the original twilight zone almost every episode was something new and good. This doesn't even compare aside from the really good episodes.

Yeah. I think the "eh" ones are Playtest and Men Against Fire. The Entire History of You and The Waldo Moment are good but not quite up to par. But The National Anthem, Black Bear, Nosedive, Shut Up and Dance, and Hated in the Nation are great. Be Right Back and San Junipero are outright masterpieces.

Very conflicted regarding White Christmas. A good deal of bright ideas but problematic execution.

I hated San Junipero. Overly sentimental and predictable. It felt emotionally manipulative. Not to mention just straight up boring. I wasn't a big fan of Hated in the Nation either.

And The Entire History of You is one of the best episodes. It's the only one which has had it's movie rights sold in order to be made into a full movie (by Robert Downey Jr.)

Every single thing you watch is emotionally manipulative. That's why they call it "drama"

--
There's no such thing as the establishment. Everyone knows that!

What I mean is that the emotional scenes felt forced. Only a couple of Black Mirror episodes have aimed for straight pathos. I really felt it with Be Right Back but not at all with this one. I didn't feel like I was watching two women who were in love or who had both been through tragic things in the past. I felt like I was watching two actresses acting that way very unconvincingly.

With Be Right Back it at least had a couple of funny, charming scenes in which the woman tries to have sex with the robot and is freaked out that it can get an erection on command. San Junipero was just boring. There was never anything funny or amusing about it. In order to succeed it needed to make the viewer care about the characters and buy into their love story, but I did not.

It sounds a lot like you were in the minority, so objectively speaking it succeeded.

--

Sure, I am only giving my opinion. I'm aware that most people liked the show and had no problem with that episode.

I'm not sure that a work of art "objectively" succeeds just because the majority of people liked it though.

It's pretty much the closest thing to an objective measure we have. I do feel like if a person can successfully articulate their case against it, in a way in which most people could change their minds, (not necessarily would, but if they're reasonable) that might count, but otherwise...

--

I am not trying to change anybody's mind. The topic of the thread is that some episodes are hits and others are misses.

I was responding to a person who considered San Junipero a "masterpiece". I would say that, even among people who liked the episode, very few would consider it an artistic masterpiece.

Anyway, I was just giving my opinion, which is the point of internet discussion in general. I didn't like the episode, I thought it was cheap melodrama whereas most other episodes are smarter and more subversive than that. I'm not a critic and I'm not trying to change anyone's mind on the episode.

I disagree about that being the closest thing to an objective measure that people have. Several literary masterpieces like Moby Dick, the works of Edgar Allan Poe, the art of Vincent Van Gogh, etc. I could probably go on and on, were not appreciated for many, many years. Many works that were popular when those pieces of art were created are now almost totally forgotten. My point is that people's opinion on a work of art shortly after it has been released is not an objective measure of its value.

But I get it. You really liked the episode. I'm not saying I'm "right". Maybe the episode's merits flew over my head. Maybe in the future my appreciation for it will grow. I'm just saying I didn't like it and I didn't think it was a masterpiece.

You're very defensive. It's not necessary.

--

Objectively speaking Michael Bay must be one of the greatest artists in the world.

Working in the movie business since -92

That's a pretty stupid misreading of what I said, actually. You should think about the integrity of your analogy for five seconds. You'd see it doesn't coincide with what was said in the least.

--

Whatever you say, snowflake.

Working in the movie business since -92

Yeah, that's right, whatever I say.

--

My girlfriend and I also disliked the it, the most in the whole series beside the Waldo episode as a matter of fact. Far too twee, and lacked the dark cynicism of the rest of the series. The character's choices had no overt negative consequences, unlike almost every other in the series. The couple also felt "forced" to me, the lack of chemistry mean't that the romance lacked any weight and therefore bored me.

My cynical brain leads to the idea that these characters "got it good" (by Black Mirror standards). Was it because they were interracial or because they were lesbian lovers, both? I can't picture them using a gay male couple and treating them with the same care or even televising that scenario at all. The pandering label seems an appropriate fit here.

That said it was well shot and there was an interesting concept there, I just wish they had explored the downside of the eternity they rashly agreed to, rather than having it as a distant and forgotten subtext by the time the credits roll.

I enjoy the series overall, but yes, the episodes are very hit-or-miss.

-----

Shooting has started on my latest movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5531336/

For you it was hit or miss, for others it was hit or miss, but you disagree completely which episodes were hits and which were misses. That's just the kind of show this is.

I like the premise of some of them, I think even some could be made in to a mini-series to a tv series by themselves.