Black Mirror : The Twilight Zone comparisons

The Twilight Zone comparisons

The reason why this is compared to The Twilight Zone because it's an anthology show which can be pretty dark and creepy sometimes and it has some sort of moral (most of the time not subtle).

The only thing Black Mirror is missing is a narrator.

Re: The Twilight Zone comparisons

If i had to describe the series to someone in a quick succint way i'd probably just compare it to the twilight zone but truth be told there are only a few episodes where i genuinely felt like this could be a twilight zone episode (15 million merits, nose dive, white bear) because they felt like they take place in a vastly different reality that doesn't feasibly seem like it could exist. Most other episode feel much more grounded in our own reality albeit with much more advanced technology.

"Sure, we'll help you, just sit down and wait for Detective LIKE-I-GIVE-A-DAMN!" ~Chief Wiggum

Most Twilight Zone episodes are pretty grounded in reality of that time period. Of course, there are plenty of weird ones with like an astronaut on a planet with a robot, but the famous Shatner one is just people on a plane, or the one with townspeople turning on each other because the power went out, or the doll coming alive is in the normal world just with a spin to it. The big difference to me is that Twilight Zone did fantasy and sci-fi, while BM just does sci-fi. I doubt we'll ever see hauntings or the devil on this show. Also, I think TZ is more about having a moral. Most BM episodes don't have one.

I never saved anything for the swim back.

I feel like it's more like the show The Outer Limits than Twilight Zone.

Oh yes. Rod Serling would've been proud of Charlie Brooker's writing and the series high production value.

Someone said here Outer Limits. Good call but the Outer Limits mostly dealt with aliens, which was annoying really. And the production value was on the low side.

Oh yes. Rod Serling would've been proud of Charlie Brooker's writing and the series high production value.

What I hate is when people say it's "better" than Twilight Zone, do these people even know how to start comparing two things? Black Mirror has been on for three years and it has a grand total of 13 episodes.

Twilight Zone ran for five years, with 156 episodes. The majority of which were written by its creator.

Production values, no production values, I don't care; and I would never take a crap on Charlie Brooker, but there's no evidence that he can build that degree of proliferation in his life, let alone maintain the quality of writing he has for this one property across a field that size. Last year saw double the output (of only three episodes) and most freely complain that the series is on the decline - I don't even agree with these people - the point is: yeah, there are some episodes of Twilight Zone that aren't very good, but taking quality over quantity doesn't cut it either, because there are quite a few damn amazing episodes of Twilight Zone, and not every episode of Black Mirror is amazing either.

I don't think people are playing fair by relegating Twilight Zone, that's all I'm saying. - The few people who are.

--
There's no such thing as the establishment. Everyone knows that!

You're ranting. gtfo.

You're boring. gtfo.

--
There's no such thing as the establishment. Everyone knows that!

The more recent (1995) Outer Limits had quite a few episodes that dealt with the perils of technology.

I reference the episode "Stream of Consciousness" to people all the time when discussing not necessarily the perils of technology, but reliance to the point of dependency on it.

Haven't seen the new episodes. Interesting.

Twilight Zone is my favorite TV show of all time. I love it so much that I will watch at least one episode of any sci-fi, horror, or fantasy anthology series that I come across.

Pretty much all of the new ones, including Black Mirror, have been heavily inspired by Twilight Zone. But Twilight Zone was definitely more rooted in the pulp magazines like Astounding Science Fiction and Weird Tales.

Black Mirror never includes overly pulpy subject matter like aliens (almost did in Men Against Fire), time-travel, alternate dimensions, etc. so in that sense it definitely stands apart from Twilight Zone. It is the most drama-oriented sci-fi anthology series I have ever seen.

Tried to write you on Arrival thread but link isn't working.

Where will you and others go now that IMDB is making this horrible decision to shut down these boards? And the Twilight Zone is my favorite, too.

I'm not sure where I'll go now that IMDb is closing. Thanks for following me I guess? lol. I will take that as a compliment.

Do you know of any good movie forums? I feel like IMDb wasn't active enough for me anyway. It usually takes days to get a meaningful discussion on any movie.

I have no idea what other good movie forums there are. I meant to continue that Arrival discussion but got sidetracked, but I liked the whole conversation and saw that a lot of long-time members were involved in it. Yes, the quality of the conversation was good in spite of disagreements so I wanted to know what people such as yourself were going to do now.
Thanks for responding and best of luck finding the right forum to talk about movies in...

Yea. I compare and relate them because Twilight zone and black mirror deal with "the human condition" along with other elements. twilight usually deals with the supernatural or unknown, while Black mirror deals with technology. But they both deal with how human emotions feelings,instincts and reactions determine and effect the (outcome/premise/moral)story. Both of these shows are great.

I read this in a chola accent.