Black Mirror : Which episode works best to introduce show to friends?

Which episode works best to introduce show to friends?

Hi everyone.

I recently heard about this show and watched the first ep. of Season 3 with my husband, Nosedive, which I understand is one of the less hardcore ones. I would like to watch another episode with my friends but I don't know which one would be a good one to introduce them to the show. Thoughts?

EDIT: I was thinking of watching White Christmas since it looks like it's the highest rated one.

Re: Which episode works best to introduce show to friends?

yeah, i recommend White Christmas too. while in my personal experience watching White Christmas after you are already familiar with what series is about in general is better, i cant think of any other episode that would be better to start series with. The Entire History of You seems also a good choice and episode that got me hooked was Fifteen Million Merits

None, show is trash

A person spending time posting on a board relating to something they dislike is mentally ill.

Definition of a basement troll loser.

The internet has enough preferred taste choice to not even be here. Leave us the board to enjoy it.

I'd say it depends on the sensibilities of the people you're trying to introduce it to. If you're dealing with someone who likes things a little more straightforward and isn't into subtlety and nuance, i'd say something like nose dive, white bear or hated in the nation. If they're the opposite then i'd say Shut up and dance or the entire history of you.

The latter two episodes were the first that i saw and it provided me with a strong desire to want to see the whole series. I doubt that would have happened had my first episode been "The national anthem"

If nothing else, don't start with the national anthem. Ironically enough, the first episode is like the weakest of the entire series.

"Sure, we'll help you, just sit down and wait for Detective LIKE-I-GIVE-A-DAMN!" ~Chief Wiggum

Nosedive or San Junipero

All I can see is an owl, but I know it's not an owl.

"Nosedive or San Junipero"

Agreed. These episodes are very engaging and not, honestly, as "hardcore" as others. If they like, they can plunge ahead.

Exactly right. And exactly the two I made my wife watch to get into it. And it worked.

"Be Right Back", I reccomended that episode to my girlfriend, and my friends.

I first watched the show before White Christmas had been added to Netflix. And I started from the beginning and watched every episode b/c I'm that kind of stickler.

Once I saw Be Right Back I knew that was the episode I'd use to introduce my family to Black Mirror. It's a very relatable episode that requires a little stretch of imagination (but maybe less now that Westworld has gotten so much acclaim) and has some familiar actors. That episode worked well; my sister has since watched every episode as well.

Now that WC & Season 3 are on Netflix I would say that Nosedive is also a good intro episode. BRB is better imo b/c it conveys the darkness that most of the series is tinged with, but Nosedive is very entertaining and still gives some idea.

I would hold off on San Junipero just b/c I think you need to see more of the series to fully appreciate that one. I think White Christmas might be overwhelming without any other experience of the show, but maybe someone who saw that episode first would tell you different. Anyway, hats off to you for also helping to spread the Black Mirror gospel lol

Yeah San Junipero starts so slow, that it could seem boring at the start if the viewer doesn't know how the episodes usually go.

I watched the show on a streaming website and just hit play and I hadn't even noticed it started playing from the first episode of season 3 and then played them to the end...

"Nose Dive" certainly got my intrique early on... but almost seemed to give me anxiety, as I figured it would be horrible if the world was like that. (It really tapped into my social anxiety disorder, but I kept on watching, though initially feeling uneasy).

"Playtest" also starts quite slow, so I wouldn't recommend that as the first episode either.

"Shut up and Dance" starts off pretty fast and quite interestingly. Although a bit harsh, it might serve as a very strong introduction.

"Fifteen million merits" also starts with alot of intrique and keeps you engaged.. but overall, not sure if it would be a strong introduction.

And lol, I actually liked "National anthem" quite alot :D It got my interest from the fast start and due to the twist at the end, I think it worked fantastically as social commentary. (Though ofcourse that's basically what the whole show is.)

Anyway, I'm sure TC has probably already got around to it, but thought I'd leave my opinion anyway.
Fantastic show, with alot of mystery (I loved starting an episode without reading the description and for a while being completely lost on what it will be about), some dark humor and despite some unhappy endings, it leaves you thinking.

I can imagine it's not for everyone (as seen by one comment here calling it trash), but at least it's well made with great production value. If dark humor and social commentary is your thing, you'll love it.

I didn't care much for "White Christmas" probably because I knew what John Hamm's character was up to when he was forcing conversation with the other fellow. So having guessed what was going on kind of killed the entertainment value for me.

I'd show someone "San Junipero" if I was pressed into selecting one episode, and perhaps "Nosedive".

-----

Shooting has started on my latest movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5531336/

I would say it depends on your friend's interests.

For my army veteran friend, I showed him "Men Against Fire" and he totally loved it even though science fiction never really interested him.

For my female friend who works with social media, I suggested "Nosedive" and that one really got to her.

For my gamer/horror fan friend, obviously I suggested "Playtest", and he ended up bingewatching the entire show for the next two days.

For my friend who is in the college debate team and also majoring in Political Science, I suggested "The Waldo Moment" which, you guessed it, he also loved.

So just try to assess what your friend is really interested in and see which episode best ties in with their interests.

I honestly got hooked on the very first episode. So incredibly messed up, anyone I've introduced the show to I've started from the beginning.

I'd go with one of the episodes below, since they're unique and interesting but not too out there (no pig banging). White Christmas isn't bad, and Jon Hamm being the lead might keep your friends attention if they like Mad Men or something else he's done.

- Entire History of You, especially for women/couples.
- Nosedive, especially if they love or hate social media.
- Be Right Back and San Junipero are good choices too.

I never saved anything for the swim back.

I am sorry but Nosedive was terrible, I mean the ending was pretty good. But that episode took way too long to actually make me even care about the main character, for the most part she was just really annoying and self obsessed.

Start with the first one. Show them what Black Mirror is really about.

Agree... no hand holding. If they can't get through the difficult subject matter of the first show then perhaps this isn't the show for them. There is subject matter in following episodes (White Bear) that some will also consider difficult.

The Entire History of you and White Christmas

Season 3 episodes 1-3

Choose wisely between a fact, opinion and a belief.

Definitely not the first one, a friend recommended the program to me, and the first episode almost made me turn it off and never watch it again. So stupid, I can't believe the rest of it is so different.

--
There's no such thing as the establishment. Everyone knows that!

I would definitely start off with The Entire History of You. That's what I started all of my friends on...it's a great intro to how the show works and it's not AS hardcore as white christmas.. maybe follow it up with White Christmas or White Bear, both super *beep* but amazing

I didn't find white Christmas to be that amazing, I mean sure it was one of the best. But if you asked me "the entire history of you" was much better it was what got me hooked onto the show.

Any of them. None are lacking and I watch a lot of movies and series. As to your question, depends on your friends. If you have seen all of it then it depends. If your friends are into tech, military, gaming, politics, etc. Wide palate to chose from.