Black Mirror : I'm an Dane, anyone know why they choose to make the villagers danish?

I'm an Dane, anyone know why they choose to make the villagers danish?

Just curious

Re: I'm an Dane, anyone know why they choose to make the villagers danis

Been wondering that myself!?

Maybe somebody who read the book can enlighten us?

It seems like they were going over the top to make the roaches sympathetic characters, which spoiled it for me. If the villagers/roaches were middle-eastern, it would have made slightly more sense. But everybody likes Danes :-)
All that rape and pillage was a thousand years ago, and forgiven.

If they were so harmless, why shoot them? The roaches could have been more threatening, more dangerous, while still human. A little subtlety instead of a sledgehammer next time please.

I think it was Danish to give the feel of ral language and not just the made up ones we hear in the odd show. The 100 for example has a few made up languages for its land mass/geographical area. We are given to beleive that in the Louisiana area [and maybe others are available] a translation device would be useful. we also know that some lands which have retained a [useless language] may deliberately use it to cause problems.

Michael Kelly explained in a fair amount of detail what was going on not only in eradicating these IMPERFECTS but how the military perform overall. The idea is quite a good one. We already have done the demonising dehumanising with most of the recent smaller conflicts and of course in the big one.

I have read reports that in the US civil war it wa not unusual to find a musket with multiple loads of wadding and ball indicating that while the drills had been followed the weapon did not get fired. Today it is calculated that in the middle east actions a quarter of a million rounds per known enemy kill. Automatic weapons are used in the hope that one of the bullets might hit a target and also does tend to make the enemey keep its head down.

At Rorkes Drift just over 100 men fought off 4000 ZULU bloodthirsty warriors. Considering how much collateral hype there is it is something I would like to see [if time has ever been recorded]. HOW ABOUT THAT BLACK MIRROR. Debunking the history as written. In that no doubt scary time 20,000 rounds were fired at an obvious target made up of nearly naked black men armed with shortish spears. The dead amounted to about 400 and must have included more than few who might have survived. I think that they would have been despatched in between attacks. No room for prisoners this day. Well Zulu did not take prisoners.

Yes dehumanise the enemy. Here we are suggesting that Obamacare has been ended and in fact chronic disorders are not welcome in an arbitrary society. This is also being played out in the series COLONY. We are getting so many versions of world wide infections that cause Zombie like side effects. The Strain going strong. We deal with them just like vermin. All the while knowing that they once were friends relatives but now forever lost. They have to be eradicated with extreme prejudice as in this dark episode.

That they are not unintelligent is admitted by Kelly and the tool used could cause problems if mass produced. I did not fully understand that we have a very sophisticated military we also have civilians who appear to live like native americans did on reservations. Of course we are not given a nation/location or much background history. And then there are the roaches. How best to describe something that needs destroying.

As one of the growing number of TYPE 2 diabetics I do understand the expense I am causing my national health system. That I worked as in the paramedical field ALL my working life [military and Government] I feel that I contributed more than my fair share to my nation. It is wrong that there are so many that have the feeling that 'as I paid in so I should get payback'. It may well not happen the same in the US as health IS BIG BUSINESS. The only good thing I can offer is that while I am on fairly high insulin injections and medications I have not allowed myself to be hospitalised over my 16 years diagnosed. My cigarette habit stopped a little before my diagnoses. Was that a factor? I think that my work time kept me fairly well but staggered rushed meals not knowing when this or that is going to happen may also be a BIG factor. The military and emergency services may well have a high proportion of this growing disorder due to that time in the career when it all begins to slow down due to promotions, desk working and suchlike. They then start to have a life style like the inactive non working population eating and watching TV.

What use am I now to the state other than as a draining of its savings. I wonder if indeed the future might allow for free funerals. Not for burials of course but bodies are always needed for study, and why should we not fertilise the land or suchlike. Chemical extraction may be cost prohibitive. Should it be offered to the debilitated. That scenario has been played out for a long time but I can only think of logan's Run at the moment unless an episode of Star Trek covered it earlier.

The time is coming when some form of culling is required. It might be state engineered.

See UTOPIA 2013 British Series.
See CONTAINMENT 2016 US series. I did think as it started that it was engineering a reason to strike hard in Islamic countries.

I have enjoyed Black Mirror. Not just because it is from a british loud [maybe proud] thought provoker.

San Junipero. I welled up a few times in this tale.
Shut up and dance. Clever and may have rid the world of bad people. But surely we Loved Dexter [most of the time]. Everyone was not a child molester of course but this was showing that that dark desire can be ANYWHERE. Would it be good or bad to find that when a web cam of a certain type is logged on to that it could secretly film you and get all your details [and just send it to the cops] and that your shame [why be ashamed? it was natural for you] could make you do something very much out of character. In this case a very final act. Mind you his survival means he can tell a little bit of the story and you know how the cops love to spend ALL their resources to find and incarcerate someone doing the job for them.

Playtest and Nosedive also clever. If we feel that when dying our whole life's memory is played out? then what is the problem with the playtest ending? Nose dive is an exaggeration of how even nonentities are living a social media life and may not even be venturing outside.

For the detractors. The UTOPIA that is so desirable seems to also have pitfalls that can have as disastrous an effect as the world today.

You don't need to justify the value of your life. It's sad that you feel that way. The answer is sterilization, not culling.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

If the villagers/roaches were middle-eastern, it would have made slightly more sense.
Considering how the fascists are taking over Europe, there would be no additional technology needed to find people happy to murder them.

Your ridiculous hyperbole adds nothing to the conversation.

It implicitly explained to you the points you raised. But maybe I should have used shorter sentences for you to get it.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: I'm an Dane, anyone know why they choose to make the villagers danish?

I've read this on Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/blackmirror/comments/5euu9p/spoilers_i_know_why_men_against_fire_takes_place/

tl;dr or link not available. The parallel between Nazis viewing Jews as inhuman, and how Denmark smuggled Danish Jews out to save them. Denmark is viewed as "righteous among nations" and Heidekker was the same.

Sorry for the bad explanation, the post explained it better.

This may sound crazy, but I wonder if it's an homage to the epic poem Beowulf.

While I was watching the episode, I thought the world they're depicting has gone to *beep* if Scandinavians live like that. Where did all the hygge go?

I imagine because few people can speak Danish, if they used Germans or French or whatever then German and French speaking viewers would know that the translation devices were only saying what the soldiers wanted to hear.

I guess they wanted to not give away the story too early that the soldiers are being lied too.

Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived. -Isaac Asimov