Screenwriters : Question about T.V. production and development. What do you....

Question about T.V. production and development. What do you....

So, I have this idea for television show. I am shocked that its' setting and subject matter have yet to be used. It is pefect for drama, conflict, love, sorrow, and all the rest of that type of stuff. I have a strong understanding and experience with said subject matter and setting. Anyways, I am an English major and have some knowledge or proficiency with writing, but I am in no way a professional or have an understanding of creating long story arcs and stuff like that. So if there is a website that discusses television development that someone could recommend. Or if there is a basic format for pitching an idea, I would love to hear about that too. A buddy of mine and I once had a small business proposal and there was like format that you used to display your proposal. I am just wondering if there is anything similar with television development. And do you need a pilot just to get an idea heard? So, I am lost and any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. I am tired of getting or having an idea and not acting on it. And it's funny the second I start talking about ideas, plans, or whatever, suddenly someone else does it. Karma -or whatever that would be- is such a bitch. Thanks in advance.

Re: Question about T.V. production and development. What do you....

The short answer is that tv shows aren't made based on spec offerings. So, you become a television producer and have tremendous success, and THEN go to the powers that be with your idea. OR you find a large audience for your property in another format and then offer to take it to tv.

But if you want to try (and you may have more luck with a webcast type of show), write a pilot and a 'bible' for the show, come up with at least basic outlines for several episodes, and then start banging on doors. If the idea is THAT good maybe someone will be interested.

"Be wary of Wenk -- I want to warn you!"