Black Mirror : Why would anyone want to watch a man bang a pig?

Why would anyone want to watch a man bang a pig?

I may disagree with some people's politics, but I would never want them to have sex with a animal.

Re: Why would anyone want to watch a man bang a pig?

Should have been the queen.but i guess brits are still obsessed over that incident with the pig's head.

That episode was made way before that news story about the pig and the PM. The creator of the show was totally surprised that the story came so close to aledged actual events.

"Piggate" refers to an uncorroborated anecdote that during his university years British Prime Minister David Cameron put a "private part of his anatomy" into a dead pig's mouth as part of an initiation ceremony for the Piers Gaveston Society. The anecdote was reported by Michael Ashcroft and Isabel Oakeshott in their unauthorised biography of Cameron, Call Me Dave, attributing the story to an anonymous Member of Parliament who was a "distinguished Oxford contemporary" of Cameron's"
Since this happened when Cameron was in university and has been a "tradition" of a secret club there, it is not necessarily about Cameron.

The pumps don't work 'cause the Vandals stole the handles
Bob Dylan

This is why it is important that it is a politician and not someone from the royal family. The Queen would not negotiate, as she'd negotiate in her own name. The PM is serving the people and the crown, so he has less choice.
Much more than some annecdote, this is a statement on political culture. As such it is very local and it makes sense that the first Netflix produced season tried a more universal approach and appeared less british for the international crowd.

Why do you think its politically motivated?

it's art.

It's also taboo.

Although, thinking about it, it could become an Olympic sport. PETA might have something to say about it though.

Ohh ee oooh ah ha ha walla walla pig bang ooh hee hoo ha ha walla pig bang ha

Dumbest episode I ever watched. What a waste of my time.

I thought the acting was amazing. And the ending as to who was behind it all was very unexpected...yet plausible, in an interesting way.

Yeah I didn't understand the public in that episode. Millions of people gathering to laugh at a pig being raped? To laugh at man forced to rape an animal? Bestiality is beyond vile. While I have no doubt some people would gather around and laugh, most people would be sickened and wouldn't watch such a thing.

There are millions in the US who would love to see Trump *beep* a pig and millions more who would love to see Hillary being *beep* by one. So don't act like you don't get the point because then you are only illustrating how stupid, naive or sheltered you are.

Politician's never ever have a 100% approval rating and likely will have millions of detractors who blame them for anything and everything, so again stupid, naive or sheltered? Which is it?

I wish people would finally realise that when you "don't get something" you don't look clever by starting a thread about it, you look stupid. No teenager anywhere has stood up in class and said "What is a penis?" for exactly that reason. So cease this *beep* and grow up.

Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived. -Isaac Asimov

I wonder how many people would tune in to watch Donald Trump being forced to have sex with Hillary Clinton. And who would they feel more sorry for?

You truly do not have to be so rude.

I truly do, I am losing faith in my species!

The internet is the single greatest achievement of ours, it has put the largest, most extensive library in history at our finger tips, Alexandria and Kos were in ancient times places where you could learn something but now any home with internet access is a place to learn anything.

Yet the internet is making us more stupid as a species, you figure that one out. I have - humans are followers, if the guy in front knows the path you don't need to. We are more populist than ever before, "Joe has an opinion about why there are no jobs and it seems like a good one, I'm going to use that opinion too".

We are developing a hive mind via the internet, we adopt preconceptions, assumptions and ideals as facts because of it and then readily question anyone or anything that doesn't fall in to place, "Why did X character in X movie do that?" is becoming a commonplace question when previously we could all empathise with or figure out a movie character's motives for ourselves, or at the very least attempt to.

Frankly it scares me how robotic we are becoming as a species, and it should scare everyone. Throughout our history mob mentality has led to everything from individual women being burned as suspected witches to the attempted genocide of the Jewish people.

Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived. -Isaac Asimov

So true, it is a statement on political culture, which has become very visible in the last election, but by no means is limited to the US. The UK has a debate culture, which is much more direct, as people in parliament stand opposite each other. Add to that the urge for scandal of the press, and it becomes exactly what is shown.

You need to ask them. If the writers did not tell us then we could spend many hours speculating.

The most common explanation, without knowing the specifics of the situation, is that the purpose is to have the power to make someone do something disgusting. The more disgusting it is the more powerful they feel. Being powerful means you can make people do anything. That is why governments don't give in to pressure like that. It is suicidal to give in to pressure like that.

There are many movies showing people doing disgusting things just to entertain movie fans. I have no interest in understanding why.

People would certainly be tuning into that station to get an update on what happens. They might not want it to happen, but they are certainly going to want to know an update on whether or not it did happen.

Aside from the sensational element of the situation, the fact that some random terrorist is possibly coercing the prime minister into an act like that is a very important event. If the PM carries through with it, it could signal a lot of future threats coming down the line with larger consequences.

I dont know why anyone would want to watch for more than a few minutes though. Didnt one of the random guys say that it had been an hour??

People would certainly be tuning into that station to get an update on what happens. They might not want it to happen, but they are certainly going to want to know an update on whether or not it did happen.

It seems kind of unlikely you'd need to actually watch it to know it happened. That seems like information you could get from social media or news outlets.

I dont know why anyone would want to watch for more than a few minutes though. Didnt one of the random guys say that it had been an hour??

This was what got me to tilt my head a bit. I'm willing to buy morbid curiosity or genuine sadism or a variety of other reasons for watching to start, but even if you genuinely think it'd be funny or entertaining or intriguing or just really like gross stuff or something surely by the hour mark it would have gotten boring enough to wear away most reasons for watching? I mean, I'm not an expert, but I doubt there was much variety in what they were watching that would keep things fresh.

The part about it lasting an hour did seem unrealistic to me. The kidnapper made no stipulation about the duration of the ordeal, of even that the PM had to 'finish' in the usual way. So why did the PM keep at it for an hour?

There was a list of rules on one of the news broadcasts. It was too fast to read, but if you pause it and read it, it does say he had to keep going no matter how long it took to "finish."

Realistically though, how would the kidnapper or indeed anybody watching have known if he'd stopped early? I don't think the kidnapper would have wanted to or had the skills and knowhow to check the pig for human semen.

That's a sentence I never thought I'd read, let alone type, in my entire life.

It's just a more literal way of saying, "the prime minister is a pigfvcker."

You kidding? It's the ultimate click bait.

It mixes meets two key criteria

- news value (ie something unusual- a head of state being forced to have sex with a pig). Not just some beastiality perve who lives on a farm - big difference.

- "car accident" syndrome. Ever been stuck in traffic for ages and you finally work out it's because there was a car accident and the reason for the delay is that everyone has been slowing down to gawk at the aftermath. Most people will gawk at something while secretly thinking "I'm glad it's not me".

It was at least unrealistic, that they only showed people who were watching it and not a single one, who was like: "That's disgusting, people who watch this are disgusting." People get angry, when a rape is shown on a show like "Game of Thrones" even though it is all acting and nothing actually happens. But when a real human and a real pig are raped (basically the PM has gone through everything a victim of rape goes through: violation, sexual abuse, exposure, disgust, shame etc.) everybody stares at the television and watches such a horrible crime. At least some people should have been shown walking out of the bar or away from the screen in the hospital.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

That is a very good summary of the episode. If we could 'like' comments on these boards, you'd have just gotten one.

This episode was a bit of a mixed bag for me, while the acting was great I didn't think it fitted in with the rest of the series, there wasn't much of the futuristic dystopian element in it, if anything it felt a bit mundane. The drama maybe lost a bit of credibility to me, sure there's an element of disgust but bestiality does not come across as that big a deal to me.

I thought the premise of the episode was stupid but the acting was great. If that makes sense.