Black Mirror : Vote Waldo = Donald Trump?

Vote Waldo = Donald Trump?

Both are cartoons who turn the election process on it's head. Is this an apt comparison?

Re: Vote Waldo = Donald Trump?

no

Yes.

I thought the exact same thing.

No...because, in comparison, Waldo would actually be a viable presidential candidate...

Within the context of the story nobody really believed that Waldo would become as big as it did. I don't believe that Trump could ever win as a president (he basically only appeals to his base constituency) but the parallels are there.

If he actually wins the primaries, you will see him become a lot more liberal to appeal to the majority. All that extremist rhetoric is just to jam his foot in the door. If you look 2 years back, he was saying the opposite of what he's campaigning on now. In all likelihood, he will make a return to that.

Didn't happen :(

It's starting to look like both candidates are trying desperately to lose.

One way more than the other, though.

Yes. Waldo is Trump. And he loses the election after stealing votes from candidates with good plans.

Name one good plan from a right wing politician.

I was talking about the girl who was from the Labour party. Oh, speaking of girls... I have to make a post about how evil ALL WOMEN are in this show, according to Booker.

You have issues there friend.

So what? Who doesn't.

Waldo was even more annoying and dumber than Trump. Glad the voice actor got beaten at the end

Waldo is awesome because he's soooo un-PC, just like Trump, you guys!

That episode was written 3 years ago. So no.

Yeah because Trump is only 2 years old.

That episode was written 3 years ago. So no.

That's irrelevant dude, the piece is art and art and life always imitate one another.

Like how "National Anthem" was written years ago, and then David Cameroon story about fvcking pigs head came out. Therefore, Waldo is Trump.

___
Anyone who has ever read any spoilers,
knows that Winter Is Coming

Trump was definitely the first thing I thought of too but I don't think it was intentional.

Besides, Waldo was just an a-hole. He wasn't evil.

Has the current presidential campaign been going since Summer 2012? I was under the impression you only campaign in the 9 months leading up to an election, but if you believe Brooker wrote that episode about Trump when he had zero aspirations about the presidency then who am I to argue?

Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived. -Isaac Asimov

The original post clearly mentions the question "is this an apt comparison?", not the statement "Waldo was based on Donald Trump". So much for all your clever sarcasm and wit, huh?

He's been talking about running for President for a long time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Trump_presidential_campaign,_2000

Brooker didn't write the episode about Trump, but he was predicting that a Waldo-like character would one day appear in politics, and he was right. Reality is stranger and scarier than fiction.

I guess Waldo and Trump share the quality that they say what everyone is thinking but scared to say.

This show does a good job of mocking the dregs of society. People addicted to smart phones, apps, games, tokens and imaginary feel good bits of recognition, addiction to reality tv, etc.

It isn't too far fetched to think that the cookie and eye recorder will be here at some point. Even though Google Glass failed miserably the technology is only a few generations away to make it a workable idea.

Awesome series.

Damn, if Trump is a cartoon, I wish I was one as well... A billionaire, who has a hot wife and is going to be president of the US? That's one cartoon I'd love to be.

But then you would have to deal with the crippling insecurity that no one truly loves you waking you up at 3am so you can impulsively troll twitter.

I'll pump her full of motley seed, until she pops out a little me! -Shagwell

I'd love to see Waldo and Trump in a head-to-head television debate.