Screenwriters : Best Original/Adapted Screenplay, 2008

Best Original/Adapted Screenplay, 2008

Nominees:
Frozen River (Courtney Hunt)
Happy-Go-Lucky (Mike Leigh)
In Bruges (Martin McDonagh)
Milk (Dustin Lance Black)
Wall-E (Andrew Stanton, Pete Doctor, Jim Reardon)

Who do you think should win? Unfortunately, I've only seen two of the contenders (Wall-E and In Bruges) and personally, I'd be happy if either of them won. Wall-E was an excellently bright and happy film, with the best character development on a robot since 2001: A Space Odyssey. In Bruges is also a great contendor simply for such a bizarre but well thought-out drama. It's subtle humor was perfectly played off and was overall a unique piece of writing.

Now, onto Adapted Screenplay...

Nominees:
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (Eric Roth, Robin Swicord)
Doubt (John Patrick Shanley)
Frost/Nixon (Peter Morgan)
The Reader (David Hare)
Slumdog Millionaire (Simon Beaufoy)

This is a hard one. The 3 ones I've seen (Button, Frost, Millionaire) all have elements I like and don't like. Frost/Nixon had great character work and excellent patches of dialogue, but I felt it lacked, and I feel weird saying this, in not being political enough. The screenplay felt watered down, no pun intended, although I would still like to see the play version before making a final judgement. Button also had great character moments, but a few parts here and there could've been removed, and Slumdog was more of a visual experience than a writing one. So overall, I'd go for Frost/Nixon, but again I'll reserve judgement until I see the other two nominees.

Anyone else?

My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!