Screenwriters : is Charlie Kauffman the most orginal screenwriter of his generation?

is Charlie Kauffman the most orginal screenwriter of his generation?

After watching 'Being John..' and 'Eternel sunshine', Kauffman is definatley taking a different path then mst writers at the moment,his ideas are very fresh and new. Whats your opinion?

Re: is Charlie Kauffman the most orginal screenwriter of his generation?

he is one of the most original but it doesnt mean all his scripts are marketable.
have you seen his film Syndoche New York? As original, intelligent and well skilled as it is it is still overwelmingly unsettling. actually felt like *beep* after watching it.
i know 'marketing scripts' isnt the topic of your post, but i thaught it was important to state that just cause a screenplay/movie is original it doesnt mean people are going watch the film or buy the script.
not trying to be a prick or anything, i liked Eternal Sunshine my self and it's originality is what made it so good.

I havent seen Syndoche New York, I've been meaning to buy it but have yet to watch it. I have heard its a very depressing film.
I understand the trouble that Jonze and Kauffman went through to get 'Being John...' made but the result was an excellent film so maybe Hollywood should take more risks to produce these excellently original script.

that's no great mark of any distinction

Considering what generation and what country we're in.

"God rot all 'good men'...."

I loooooove Charlie Kauffman movies. All of them. Nobody has mentioned Human Nature which I think is plain genius.

I believe all of his scripts deal with an essential problem of human life and takes that problem into the reality of our everyday world but in such surprising way that it makes old questions come alive in a very creative manner.

* Being John Malkovich - the problem of identity. Who are we? who do we want to be? Is love related to who we want to become?
* Human Nature - the problem of civilization vs. humans as animals. Are humans superior and happier? is love a matter of humanity or animal nature?
* Adaptation - the problem of telling stories. Is the narrator just the story itself? can there be objectivity in stories? is writting just a way to avoid loneliness?
* Eternal sunshine - the problem of memories. Can we still be us without some of our memories? are painful memories an imortant part of us? can love overcome painful memories?
* Synnecdoche - the problem of life (yeah, I know...) I'm not even going to poitn out the questions....

I don't know if I would call him the greatest writer fo his time, but he is definitively a great writer, very creative and deep, who portraits people like us caught in unreal situations that bring us closer to our most real self.

You're forgetting the golden rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.