Desperately Seeking Susan : Susan's clothes

Susan's clothes

Is it me or did Susan, Madonna's character, have the most awesome clothes in this movie? I love the 80s and all her outfits were GREAT. I keep trying to win the replica of the jacket that was sold via mail order in the 80s from eBay but I always lose - those jackets go for HUNDREDS of dollars. I'm not upset though because I recently found a local tailor who will make one for me for a great price!

I do want those Rhinestone boots, though. Anyone know where I could find a pair similar?

Re: Susan's clothes

Argument: M-Morabilia

The angle of memorabilia today the extension a pubblicita' appeared in newspapers and the reviews Americans in 1985, than promuoveva the reproduction of the boots that Madonna wore in the film in the role of Susan. Created model " BOOT" from Alison Lances for the Orion Pictures was given for the sale in exclusive right to the Bakers/Leeds , the company that has put the pubblicita' and that it sold the boots to 49.99 dollars to the pair.

i was about to say, one day my best friend and i went to the mall with her mother after this movie came out and my friend (we were 11), being an obsessive madonna freak, saw those boots at the bakers in the mall and had to try them on. i remember her pacing back and forth in the store too.

looking back on it it was totally dumb. but anyway, good memory! i've always thought those boots were hideous though and they definitely weren't meant for an 11 year old to wear.

i remember the bakers version were a cheap imitation of the real rhinestoned deal
they were black boots covered in an open black mesh with silver sequins attached(sewn?glued?) on the mesh x-areas
poor imitationreal ones looked nice!

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Susan's look was Madonna's and it happened to work very well for this particular character. I loved the way Susan dressed.

I also loved everything Madonna wore in this movie and I've always suspected that most of the clothes she wore in this movie were out of her own closet, a la Streisand in A STAR IS BORN. And those rhinestone boots are "da bomb"!!

Yup, most of Madonna's clothes in the movie were her's. The pyramid jacket was designed for the movie. Madonna's whole look during that period of about 3 to 4 years was put together for her by designer Maripol and every girl on the planet then aspired to it Notice when walking from "The Magic Club", she's wearing a jersey with the initials MC on the breast, her actual initials. Obviously owned by her..

Don't count on hell ever running out of room

I loved her clothes too! The black leggings, the leather jacket, the sparkly boots, the big belts. Oh, and I thought the scene where she puts an ad in the newspaper wearing only a man's shirts was awesome. She must've had fun with the wardrobe in this movie.

bounce.gifTomorrow's just your future yesterday!

i loved the orange socks wild.gif

Frank wanted everyone at his parties, BUT everyone wanted Dean at theirs.

Post deleted

Post deleted

Post deleted

If I was around in the 80's I would totally dress like her. I want the boots too.

I <3 RBD

I agree, loved her clothes in this film and I want those boots!!

love4.gif To fall in love, you have to sacrifice everything. love4.gif

Post deleted

im a size 7 haha! tell me if you do put them on ebay

Post deleted

I loved every single thing about Madonna in this movie!

This post is over 3 years old, but here is an offer on eBay now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Madonna-DESPERATELY-SEEKING-SUSAN-BOOTS-Size-8B-FREE-LP_W0QQitemZ270198267312QQihZ017QQcategoryZ29880QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I don't know, though, they don't look quite right

Post deleted

If you're ever in Hawaii, there's one of the actual rhinestone boots that Madonna wore in the film. It's at the Hard Rock Cafe in Honolulu.

jump5.gifI shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine and he shall be my Squishy.jump5.gif

Oh my God, I remember when this movie came out, back when MTV was actually about music and videos, MTV was running a contest to win the actual pyramid/eye jacket Madonna wore in the movie.
You had to send in a postcard with your name and address, or call a 900 #. Well, I had no idea how much 900#'s cost, and after my mom found out I got in SOOOOOOOO much trouble. So I switched to sending in the post cards.

I was convinced that I would win it.

I didn't, and that goes without saying, but I spent every penny I earned, scavenged, begged borrowed and pleaded for to win a jacket that my mother would never have allowed in the house much less let me wear it in public!

If I could find it today, I'd buy it and wear it just to be totally unique. It doesn't scream 80's, it just screams notrend victim.

Also, my best friends sister had a pair of boots like she wore, and my friend and I tried them on and strutted back and forth in front of the mirro immitating Susan till we were blue in the face.

**sigh**

I miss the 80's!

PS Everytime I come across a hand dryer, I always check to see if the "nozzle" will flip upto this day I will do the armpit drying thing, clothed and dry. Takes me right back!

lol, funny how kids today probably couldn't imagine something so "quaint", lol, as sending in a postcard to enter a contest when everything now is so "send us an e-mail to."

I fondly remember the fashions of the film. Even tho I'm a guy I remember thinking Susan's jacket looked so wicked cool! I wish I'd been 10 years older at that time so I could go out then.

I think I'll go home tonight & pop in the DVD, & remember watching the flick in a mostly empty theater back in '85, my 14 year old hormones racing at the sight of Madonna dressedwell, as Madonna in '85!! blah.gif

I use to wear those clothes that Roberta wore when I was in my early thirties.

I have a question about when Roberta was at the pier and that blond fellow who was stalking her, indeed grab her.

As she pulled away and fell against the post, her purse fell into the ocean.

Where can I find a purse like that. It was so cute. I think made out of straw.

Where, where do I find that purse?

Hi Maria,

Keep your eyes open on ebay or at import stores for straw purses like Roberta's little ball basket. ebay rocks b/c you can view a thousand purses in such a short time and all from the comfort of your lap top :)

In the movie, the purse had to be a ball that would roll away from her head-banging accident. I love how every detail in this film is perfect!

"Have a Romy & Michelle day!"

Post deleted

there is an authentic desperately seeking susan jacket you are talking about (sold on mtv in the 80s) up for auction on ebay right now! check it out! :)

a lot of the clothes were madonnas own. in fact, in the polaroid Nolan has of susan, shes wearing her wizkid shorts that can be seen in the 'like a virgin' video, when she jumps off the ferry. the MC orange shirt obviously stands for madonna ciccone when shes waiting for crystal outside the magic club. the only clothes items brought in were the jacket (pyramid and robertas sequined), the boots, the atlantic city shirt at port authority, and the earring. if you research early madonna photos, you can find her wearing a lot of these clothes before shooting this film.

the rhinestone boots were sold by leeds shoe store after the success of the film, im sure you can find them somewhere on ebay.

I'd love to buy the pyramid jacket and the boots !!. I might check on ebay or google to see if they're sold anywhere.

Loved so many of Susan's pieces in this, the pink gloves at the beginning her yellow tote bag, the Egyptian earrings, boombox watch ,& of course the jacket :)!

I just want to know if the blacked sequined jacket that Susan stole from Roberta's closet was the same jacket Michael Jackson wore on Motown 25. I know his jacket belong to his mom. (It was a part of a jacket/skirt combo and he wanted to wear something that belonged to his mother. The jacket itself is now iconic. It is probably not the same jacket but it sure looks like it!

I used to shop at Oona's in Harvard Square in the eighties. I also used to go to Army/Navy and such places. I built up a goth/hipster wardrobe from there. They idea was NOT to pay a lot of money at some upscale boutique.