Desperately Seeking Susan : Does this movie make anyone else miss NYC during the 80s??!!

Does this movie make anyone else miss NYC during the 80s??!!

I loooooooooooooooove this movie! The acting and story were fantastic.

But especially because this movie captures the wonderful quirkiness of New York City during the 1980s that you cannot find today. (Rents are too high for bohemians and artists to live there!!)

What are some other great NYC-in-the-80s movies that you love?

My NY/80s List:

Desperately Seeking Susan
After Hours
Hannah & Her Sisters
Liquid Sky
Annie Hall
Manhattan

I haven't seen "Slaves of New York" yet, but I think it's also probably pretty good!

Re: Does this movie make anyone else miss NYC during the 80s??!!

American Psycho.

Everybody's havin fun, dancin with a loaded gun

garbagefan: Yeah, I saw "American Psycho" and it was pretty interesting. But I think that was more the 90s when the yuppie bankers had already completely taken over Manhattan!

No, it took place in the late 80's. It just looked supermodern.

Everybody's havin fun, dancin with a loaded gun

It makes me want to go to NYC.lol.I'm from the U.K.

Mid-80s, actually.
Everytime I see it I get wistful for 1985.

Then I start to chuckle when I remember the band Bowling for Soup did a song titled "1985", about being wistful for that year.

I miss the 80's altogether. It was an awesome decade!

Well i cant remember the 80's coz i was only born in that decade,but i do love alot of music,films,and fashion from that era !.Obviously i've seen it on tv.This movie makes me wish i had been older in the 80's, and it makes me want to go to New York !.I've never been to America, but I would love to !.

The best decade ever

For anybody who's still nostalgic for 80s NY, there's a documentary out there called "Mondo New York", made in 1988, and all about the underground scene as witnessed by a young woman that the cameras follow around. I saw it years ago in VHS format. Shows some really bizarre performance artists at work. But lotsa luck finding it, don't know if it's still available anywhere.

American Psycho took place in the late 80's, but was filmed/released in 2000, which is a huge difference. It's hard to re-create the 1980's look in a movie, and there are plenty that try and just don't get it right. There's a big difference between those films, and movies that were made in the 80's, and aren't really meant to be period pieces.

Seeing DSS again reminds me of how much more grungy, dirty and 'real' NYC was in those days. Lower Manhattan had such a bohemian, edgy vibe to it, that's pretty much gone now.

What are you talking about? Lol This movie was shot in '84 and released in '85 and relfected the current time as is in the Village at the time. I saw it in the theatre, I graduated that year Where did you get 2000? Maybe RE released but it was 15 years old then.

Sorry, I was replying to the poster above that was referencing American Psycho.

<
After Hours
Hannah & Her Sisters
Liquid Sky
Annie Hall
Manhattan >>

Um, your list is off. Annie Hall came out in 1977. Manhattan came out in 1979. Both had deep 70s sensibilities. Just FYI.

I didn't like After Hours and never saw Liquid Sky (although it sounds interesting).

Hannah and Her Sisters is a masterpiece and is an 80s film, but it shows a totally different side of NYC than Desperately Seeking Susan shows. And it doesn't make me yearn for the 80s NYC at all but Desperately Seeking Susan does.

Oh, god, I miss it. I miss my youth, I guess, and the way NYC was then, when I was a teenager.

The only other movie that captures that feeling is Times Square.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

im jealous of the people who experienced nyc in the 80s. i was born in 82 so i dont know *beep* wish i was born 2 decades earlier. i also love movies that take place in nyc in the 80s. also love to read books about it.

Can't wait to be in LA

I miss it. Manhattan in the 80's was a mostly different place. I was a teenager during those years. I used to visit NYC a lot since I had relatives there. I can remember around like, 1978, driving around Greenwich Village and seeing gay people for the first time in my life. My older sister said "Ooh, look at that guy -he's a queer!" ha-ha-ha No offense -I'm just telling it like it happened. I remember Times Square before it became gentrified. I got drunk with my friends and went to SOHO and rock clubs like CBGB. It was easily the best place for that.

It changed in the late 80's/early 90's as I remember it. Yuppie culture made everything more clean and elegant. Suddenly big name stores starting popping up all over Times Square and rents went through the roof. I can't imagine how anybody can live meagerly there and survive now.

(Rents are too high for bohemians and artists to live there!!)

I love how in the movie Election, Matthew Broadrick's character decided to live a bohemian life in Manhattan and pay a monthy rent of $1,500/mo in a basement that couldn't have been more than 200 sq/f laugh.gif

What are some other great NYC-in-the-80s movies that you love?

The movie Downtown 81 did a very good job at showing the early hip-hop, punk and ska movement in NYC while at the same time showing off a surreal day in the life of the artist Jean Michel Basquiat. It had Blondie, The Plastics, Kid Creole and the Coconuts and some other artists in it. I recommend it highly for 80's NYC nostalgia.

I also recommend 200 Cigarrettes which takes place in early 80's NYC and easily gave me the feeling of that period.

Not very bohemian, but the film 'Bright Lights, Big City' (made in the 80's) captures the 80's NYC flavor pretty well!

Russell Hammond from ALMOST FAMOUS: "Your mom kinda freaked me out."

The original Fame movie came out in 1980 where they're dancing in the streets. Excellent movie to start off the 80s. Also Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam and Full Force were a part of the New York scene at that time.

I miss everything about the 80s, fashion, music, movies, etc. The music of the 80s are WAY better than the music now.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Can't forget another cool Madonna film 'Who's That Girl'. Some of it was filmed in NYC too.

"Wise man say forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

DEFINATELY, Fame!

I was just a little kid in the 80's but I grew up in NYC and these movies make me wish I was born 20 years earlier so I could have enjoyed NYC in the 80's. It's not like that anymore, almost not at all. Too many people from out of state moving to NY and taking over the gritty neighborhoods and making them modern and expensive.

I left NYC a few months ago. It's not what it used to be.

I miss the eighties altogether. I turned twenty years old in 1980 so I was an adult yet I was still young. I had a good job, I had a nice 280ZX and cable TV was still good!

I love the 80s but actually think I wouldve preferred NYC in the mid to late 70s.

My NY/80s List:

After Hours
Hannah & Her Sisters
Liquid Sky
Annie Hall
Manhattan

Annie Hall and Manhattan were the late 70s, you asshole.

Yet another stupid thread about missing NYC in the 80s. Yawn. 🙄🙄