A Chorus Line : Alyson Reed

Alyson Reed

I watched this movie on DVD the other day and it was great. I had seen it many times on video but not for years. My only criticism - Alyson Reed was so mis-cast. I thought the rest of the cast worked well and you could believe that they were dancers but not her. Considering she was also supposed to be the veteran dancer, she didn't seem as good. Whenever a scene that she was involved in came on the screen, I fast forwarded it and I have never disliked a performance more than hers.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: Alyson Reed

I loved her Cassie. I'm not a dance expert, but I agree Zach says way to many times that she's to good for the Chorus and she doesn't seem any better than the others to me. That's my only complaint about her performance though.

The thing that many people need to understand is that Zach was looking at Cassie through his eyes so, whether we feel that Cassie was too good or not any better than the others is irrelevant as to why Zach felt the way he did. We all see things in a different light so, if Zach had his beliefs then he expressed them because it was what he believed.

"The thing that many people need to understand is that Zach was looking at Cassie through his eyes so, whether we feel that Cassie was too good or not any better than the others is irrelevant as to why Zach felt the way he did. We all see things in a different light so, if Zach had his beliefs then he expressed them because it was what he believed."

Translation:

By being the director's former shack-job she cost a superior dancer a job in the show.

The fact is that it is a mistake in the films casting and in the change of cassie's number. in the stage version "The music and the mirror", which "let me dance for you" replaces, is the strongest dance number in the show.

Robyn- I'm gay, but watching Alyson play "Cassie" in the film... I almost went straight!!! I thought she did an awesome job in the role, but a couple of things about "Cassie" helped destroy the film, in my opinion.
First, like GREASE, the film became less AN ENSEMBLE PIECE, and MORE of a STAR vehicle. Too much "Zach"; likewise, too much "Cassie". And having her do a solo on "What I Did For Love" totally detracted from the dreams of all the OTHER dancers she was competing against.
Most disasterous for the character was the subbing of the new song "Let Me Dance For You" did Alyson NO favors... with all the cross-cutting direction and the Zach/Cassie love history thrown in, it destroyed Alyson's ability to really show her dancing chops.
Please note that Alyson DID appear on stage in A CHORUS LINE, so you KNOW she can really dance.
And, by the way, I worked with her in a production of SOUTH PACIFIC with Broadway legend John Raiit. She was chunky, pimply and kind of a bitch- pretty much destroying the wet-dream I had about her.
Happy though she's gotten some relative success of late as the flighty drama queen Drama Instructor in the HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL series.