A Chorus Line : Cruel ending ....Spoiler comment and question.

Cruel ending ....Spoiler comment and question.

I've never seen the musical, i saw the movie a while ago and i was shocked with the ending. I understand they wanted to be a little different and not the usual or the traditional way of choosing who stays and who goes.

But i did think it was really cruel the way they let the "unchosen" ones know that they were not simply the ones. I mean, gimme a break, Zach calls their names, he made them take a step forward, even makes a mistake with one of them telling her to go back, really puts them on the spot and just to tell them thank you and i'm sorry. Stupid really.

I couldn't even feel happy for the ones who stayed. Being left out is awful already, but letting you know in that way is beyond awful. He should've told them that the first list of names were the ones leaving, but of course that wouldn't work for a movie i guess.

Does the same think happen in the play?

Re: Cruel ending ....Spoiler comment and question.

Yes it is exactly the same in the play. I however think it works well that way as it is a shock for the audiance.

I disagree. The moment he told Diana to go back in the line, I knew what was going on. (She's just too good.) So no, it's not a shock.

But, yes, it's cruel of him.

cruel maybe, but that's the harsh reality of stage acting. every struggling actor is going to go through it sooner or later...

I am a really big fan of the movie and the stage musical and have always thought that this was a really great moment. It gives the audience a moment to feel good for the ones that aren't picked. It's almost like a separate curtain call just for them (the un-chosen) to say 'thanks.' It's more dramatic to see a look of hope and appreciation in their faces and gives them a special moment.

Personally, I think calling the dancers he didn't pick was Zach's way of making them feel special. Letting them know what it was like, even if it was only for one small micro-second . . . they knew the feeling of what it was like to get the part in the show.

Although, reading some of their faces, I think Sheila was suspicious. She knew what Zach might be doing and yet maybe she had a tiny glimmer of hope that he did indeed pick her. Morales was too good to reject, so there was a hint of what he was doing. Not to mention that fact that if you count the dancers he picked from the line, you would know they weren't his final picks. He needed 4 guys and 4 girls. He picks 5 girls and 3 guys.

In the play he clearly says "before I begin eliminating" and then does so - tricky - but it's there!

It's done that way for the shock value...to throw the audience off...they want you to be fooled.

Yeah, i get the point. That was mainly done for the audience to be shocked, and they really did it. But if that would happen in reality, there would be several law suits for emotional breakdown.

I don't think so. If you think about it it's exactle what they do in "americas got talent". They call the one's who havent got it first.

Yeah, i get the point. That was mainly done for the audience to be shocked, and they really did it. But if that would happen in reality, there would be several law suits for emotional breakdown.

Oh I don't think so, decoding. That's the way it goes in the business in real life.

I was a professional theatre actor and singer for more than ten years, and in all that time of auditions, I only encountered one director who treated auditioners with any real courtesy and consideration when telling them they hadn't got the part. Most of them were, at best, callous in their disregard for people's feelings -- it's tough saying "no" to people in any circumstance, but all they really ever had to say was "thanks for auditioning, but I've decided not to pick you". Simple enough; I'm not talking about people being molly-coddled. Instead, some of the responses (not necessarily said to me -- I was lucky enough to be often successful in my auditions, since for most of my career I was in constant work) that I can remember, ranged from the abrupt ("Right, bye!") to the glib and bad-mannered ("Well, off you go, some of us are employed and have got work to do!") to the downright mean and obnoxious ("Would you mind leaving? You're wasting our time" or "Well, that was a piece of sh!t"). You get people who are control freaks, are on power trips, or who just get off on making other people feel like crap. It kinda goes with the territory.

The way the ending of the audition in this show was written was a bit of a stunt, I think, to create shock value for the audience who had had no personal experience of a show business audition, but it certainly wasn't unrealistic, as these things go.

A few posters have said they thought Zach was giving a gift to those he asked to step forward, letting them think for a moment they'd been successful -- but I think that's wide of the mark. If that was his intention, he would have failed to give them anything positive. They would have felt humiliated and toyed with by what he did, even if that wasn't Zach's intention.

But I doubt that Zach actually gave any thought to their feelings at all. He wanted to remove the people he hadn't selected, so he could settle down and talk shop with those he had cast, so logically it would be the people he wanted to eliminate who he would specify at that point. Simple logistics.

You might very well think that. I couldn't possibly comment.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

I am not sure how the characters were in the various stage plays of this, but in the FILM, to me there was NO shock value in what he did (although it WAS cruel).

The millisecond he told the first one to step forward (Maggie?), I thought this might be the cuts. The second one confirmed it. As each one was announced it became q1uite clear they were the final cuts. The only thing I've seen in film the last 30 years with less shock value was the Titanic sinking near the end of that film.

Mike

The millisecond he told the first one to step forward (Maggie?), I thought this might be the cuts. The second one confirmed it. As each one was announced it became q1uite clear they were the final cuts. The only thing I've seen in film the last 30 years with less shock value was the Titanic sinking near the end of that film.

However it is less obvious in the stage version.

Also it is not as unrealistic as you may think. I have seen auditions where I have literally thought "What the hell made him pick her", and that was actually the person who got the job.