A Chorus Line : Am I the only one who liked it?

Am I the only one who liked it?

Like the title says,am I the only one who liked it?I really enjoyed it personally,I haven't seen the broadway version or anything I've just got it on DVD.

"Where To Miss?"
"The Stars"
Titanic (1997)

Re: Am I the only one who liked it?

No I like the film. But I don't think it is as good as the show.

I loved the movie until I saw the stage show. Now I will never watch the movie again. The stage show and it's meaning is lost,sadly, in the movie version.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

The movie is an ADAPTATION of the show, it is not a COMPLETE RECREATION of the Broadway show, so lets allow the movie to stand its own ground. It is a well-worth watching movie with great dancing and great music.

"NOTHING'S IMPOSSIBLE"
BARBRA STREISAND AS YENTL

Agree, 100%.

Compared to the stage musical, the movie is a car with four flat tires.

Well, this is a very qualified yes. I thought some of the dancing was fantastic and the long shots at the end during "One" were fantastic. But some the of casting was suspect. What was casting Landers all about? It's obvious someone owed someone a favor, as she can't really sing, dance or act. And I was pissed that let Cassie sing, "What I Did For Love" But overall, I did enjoy it for what it was....IMO.

I liked it. I understand people that are huge fans of the stge version hating it, and it isn't a great movie by any means and has some serious flaws, as stated by the previous posters, but I find it entertaining and I like the performances and the songs.

No. I love it!

"I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now." Edna "E" Mode

I had low expectations but - I was really moved by it - and I Loved it!

Post deleted

*~<3 ~*I love this movie! heh.*~<3~*
*~Thanks for loving me!~*

Post deleted

Actually I really like the movie. The stage production was amazing, but I think the movie is more underrated than it should be. I think they chose a good cast, especially Alyson Reid and Michael Douglass.

This movie is a steaming rancid pile of crap which easily ranks with "Mame", "My Fair Lady" and "Hello, Dolly!" as one of the worst film versions of an excellent Broadway musical. A particularly outrageous distortion of the original material is the deletion of the very funny and touching song "Hello Twelve, Hello Thirteen" in favor of the asinine piece of garbage "Surprise, Surprise"--the surprise is what a terrible song it is, not to mention it got an Oscar nomination for Best Original Song. And making "What I Did for Love" into a song about a relationship between two people shows how much the adaptors of this film had no idea at all what the musical was about.

While tuss bear seems prone to exaggeration and hyperbole, s/he is basically correct. Only someone who has never seen the live production would "love" this version. It was a terrible letdown. I wish they would have simply filmed the stage production.

Sorry, disagree. I've seen the stage version four times (the last yesterday) and I thoroughly enjoy the film and the stage productions.

"Greater good??? I am your wife! I am the greatest good you are ever gonna get!"

Hmm - you;d be right there. I just bought the DVD to remind myself - currently playing Surprise Surprise..

And it is VERY time-locked... Linn or Harvey syndrums way up in the mix..

And the breakdown is just.. boring...

Post deleted

I liked it. I understand people that are huge fans of the stage version hating it, and it isn't a great movie by any means and has some serious flaws, as stated by the previous posters, but I find it entertaining and I like the performances and the songs.
I couldn't have said it better.

"Th-th-th-that's all Folks!"

I liked it, too!

I have not seen the stage version either, but I would like to see it someday as well.

No you are not. As I've never seen the original music show, I can't compare. But I do like this film, especially I liked the character of Morales.

No, I loved it, I remember watching it as a child and I began my love affair with musicals. No I have not seen the stage version, but will always luv the movie because it helped to create my love and passion for music, and I am a music teacher. I have the CD of the stage production, I like them both. Would like to see it on stage one day, but still love the movie, saw some clips pn youtube of the original stage for "at the ballet" and I'm sorry, the singing was much better in the movie

Post deleted

Re: Am I the only one who liked it?--one of the few

It was a passable movie, but I'd previously seen the national touring company give a performance. The movie doesn't compare favorably at all. You can't properly capture the essence of A Chorus Line, and its spartan sets and feel of theatre, on film. Leaving out "The Music and the Mirror" and "Hello Twelve, Hello Thirteen" was criminal. I don't know what Attenborough was thinking. He had zero feel for the material.

Unfortunately, no.

No you are not. It is a misunderstood and underrated movie; this is an ADAPTATION of the stage musical, not a faithful interpretation of it, so on its own it is a musical with great dancing (especially by Gregg Burge (RIP) and Alyson Reed) and great music.

"NOTHING'S IMPOSSIBLE"
BARBRA STREISAND AS YENTL

I never saw the broadway version, But I enjoyed it alot, enough to own the VCR and DVD versions... In MHO, most Move Musicals can NOT be compared to broadway or even dinner theater productions... as they are 2 totally different creations, except like Pippin in which the Movie production IS THE STAGE/Broadway production of the Musical...

I like this movie a lot. I've never been fortunate to see any stage production of it, much less in Manhattan.

It's unfair to compare a stage version to its film version, although its natural to do so.

I'd LOVE to see this on Broadway. Right now I'm watching the film for the first time since about 1990, and I'm lovin it. Plus it's 55" HD instead of 27" :-)

Post deleted

I think you are in the minority, because this is one of the worst movie musicals based on a Broadway show ever! $26 million dollars for a show with no scenery, no costumes, except dance clothes and no stars! Where did the money go? Clearly Attenborough was the wrong director and the script did nothing for the film, because it didn't follow the show. Most of Michael Bennett's choreography, with the exception of "One" was changed and overall, it's a ghastly bore!

I rank this with Annie ($35 million and the only one in it who comes close to being a comic book character is Carol Burnett's Miss Hannigan)

Mame starring Lucille Ball, who was far too old for the role, couldn't sing, could barely dance and still managed to suck all the joy out of the story.

Man of La Mancha. Arthur Hiller did one thing right: he cast Sophia Loren as Aldonza and she certainly looked the role and played it well, but to make a realistic film out of Don Quixote to start with is a mistake. The book is philosophy and you can't put philosophy on the stage or the screen.

Camelot. All that promise, with that superb cast: Richard Harris, Vanessa Redgrave and Franco Nero and what a long, tedious bore it is!

Paint Your Wagon. Fortunately, I saw this after it had been trimmed from it's overblown Roadshow version, but the story, which is not what Lerner and Loewe originally wrote, was dull, the acting was uninspired and the only ones who could sing in it were Clint Eastwood and Harve Presnell. I recently saw it again as research for a piece on Lerner and Loewe and had a lot of trouble sitting through it.

Guys and Dolls. One of the top best stage musicals ever written is treated like garbage on the screen? A completely miscast Frank Sinatra (who would have been far better as Sky Masterson), a marvelous set that wasn't used properly, new songs that were unnecessary when that's a great score, and such an obvious lack of energy from anyone in it. They zapped the life out of this great show!

A Little Night Music. A story set in Sweden because it's about the summer night smiling three times gets moved to Vienna because it's an operetta? It's a SEX COMEDY! So much talented wasted, Taylor, Cariou, Rigg and above all, Hermione Gingold, whose last appearance is in long shot, so you don't understand how the summer night smiles on the old who know too much! Dreadful!

There are others, but these are the ones I thought of, off the top of my head. Other bad movie musicals? Lost Horizon, Goodbye, Mr. Chips, Doctor Dolittle and so many others!

You're not the only one: many of the folks who replied below apparently liked the film. My mother liked it. An (older) acquaintance of mine likes it.

I'm firmly in the 'hated it' camp, because it really had little to do with the way the stage musical looks, sounds and is put together. It's musical film meant for people who've never seen live theatre, and who certainly have never seen A Chorus Line live on stage. There is much mawkish sentiment in the film, too much Michael Douglas, and the changes to 'What I did for love' are simply unforgivable. The film is lowbrow.

I have loved it since I was 7, but I never saw the Broadway version. My sister and I would practice the choreography.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just want to eat in a quiet corner away from these bozos.

I've always like this movie and the perfomances. Maybe I've gotten used to the cast through the years, because I thought they all did a great job.

That's what we need - ridiculous odds, and just a speck of hope that someday, we'll beat it