A Chorus Line : I want to be a dancer. How long does it take to be that good?

I want to be a dancer. How long does it take to be that good?

Hi. I'm young and I love to dance. I'd love to be in something like Chorus Line. How long does it take before you're good enough to be on Broadway? Can anyone give me any career advice? I'd appreciate it.

Re: I want to be a dancer. How long does it take to be that good?

i'd say it's impossible to say how long it takes to be such a good dancer. some people dance their whole life and will never be that good. it's a question of talent.

Most Broadway dancers I know have trained for YEARS.

I'm in my 8th year of dance and I'm 16... I love it, so i just recommend that you jump into some classes as soon as you can!

~*~I'm ok with being unimpressive...I sleep better~*~

Cool, I'm sixteen now. Is it too late? I heard about a Broadway dancer who started when she was 26 and did well, although that's way too late for Ballet I'm sure.

You look like the kind of girl who won't press charges

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

I'm in the business (but I can't really dance) and I know that a lot of dancers in the ensemble either work for many years, starting from when they are teenagers, and then going to colleges and universities geared toward dancing. To some people it comes naturally. Some kids are lucky and have the benefit of dancing for a very long time (I have a friend or two who were born into dance studio families, and it's completely natural to them.) And there are some people who just can't seem to get the knack of it.

But the most important aspect of wanting to dance professionally is the utter devotion for it. You know those little prodigy pianists who practice for eight hours a day? It's similar (but not necessarily eight hours a day...) Your life begins to revolve around it.
It's also very dangerous, because you usually have nothing to fall back on. I think it's the most exhilarating place on earth to work, but at times when you're not working (which can be far more often than not), you can become suicidal.
I'd say that if you really love it, devote yourself to it. But if you can't commit to that, then it's not for you. It's a hard choice.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Most dancers began training/classes as young children.

i started dancing when i was 15, now im a full time Musical theatre student, so just because u maye be a bit young doesn't mean its too late to give up hope!

Thanks!

Chaos, Confusion, Insanity: My work here is done.

its a question of how much you WANT it, how strong is your DESIRE?

do you practice EVERY damn day and night, weekends and never get sick of it?

i'd say it won't take you very long.

Talent is an Accessory to PASSION.

and dont let anybody tell you wat you cant do, you are capable of anything in this world, know that.

she loves you
yeahyeahyeah

To be not only a good but a successful dancer you need to be aware of the golden rule that all actors, dancers, singers, musicians and any other performing artists must always abide: NEVER stop training. It's a life long process. You train till you're good enough to do something but then you keep training until you're good enough to do something else that is a bit more challenging and you keep on going. For your entire career.

"People always sing 'Part of Your World' at auditions... that's why I only know one lyric."

To the OP, it's been nearly six years now. Any progress towards your dream? I see you are still active on these boards so hopefully you have notifications on.

ALl I can say is similar to what others advised. In any profession like this it obviously takes years of dedication, practice and you also have to have the raw talent to perfect.

I hope you make it or are well on your way. WOuld be cool :-)

Mike