A Chorus Line : The Ending...

The Ending...

I watched a DVD called 'Broadway: The American Musical', and there was a section on ACL. They said that the ending (of the show) was to comment on the life of a dancer - quote: "You spend two hours learning about these people and the torture that they go through is to be on an assembly line. [Michael Bennett] gave the audience what they wanted; what he meant was something else."

I was just wondering if people got that feeling from the movie's ending, with everyone gradually appearing out of the mirrors; to me, it seemed more like it was saying that everyone was good enough to be in the chorus. Thoughts anyone?

NO DAY BUT TODAY

Someday I'm gonna make a movie then laugh watching people over-analyse it

Re: The Ending...

The ending of the movie, just like the Broadway musical, is just a curtain call, where all the performers come back out to reintroduce themselves to the audience for a final performance outside of the realm of the play.

"NOTHING'S IMPOSSIBLE"
BARBRA STREISAND AS YENTL

The ending of the movie, just like the Broadway musical, is just a curtain call, where all the performers come back out to reintroduce themselves to the audience for a final performance outside of the realm of the play.

I am thinking yes and no. Yes, a curtain call for the cast that was cut, but a partial no to the "outside of the realm of the play.". The number they performed seemed to me to be an extention of the "One" sequence that Zack had them train to. (i.e. had their been a real musical they were auditioning for, "One" would have been quite similar in moves to much of what we saw in the final scene of the film (and play, which I never saw)

Of course, I could be totally wrong, but that's the way I always viewed this final scene. (which by the way, I feel is motion picture Hall Of Fame material. That final dance sequence was stupendous)

Mike

Well, it's a happier ending when everyone appears, because it gives the feeling that everybody got the part. Plus if they only showed the ones who really got the part, you'd be worried sick about the others (what happened to him - what happened to her). That happened in Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory (1971) - POSSIBLE SPOILERS - Once each child was oompa-loompaed out, they were never seen again. I was worried sick about Veruca once she fell down the chute.

I know you probably won't see this because this is an old post but I thought I would add something that occurred to me when I watched the film.

We have come to know the characters during the film and no doubt are pleased the final 8 made it, then we see all of them in costume joined by all the others who had auditioned and failed. In the end we really can't tell who is who because they are all dressed and dancing identically.

It's not that they were all good enough to be in the chorus, it's just that they were not selected for that particular show at that time. All these gypsies are pretty much the same, barely noticed by management and probably the audiences. Perhaps next time the rejects will be the chosen ones.

The Long Walk stops every year, just once.

These are all valid interpretations, but the underlying meaning of the final dance number is hinted at in the lyrics. The entire chorus is singing the praises of the (unseen) leading character(s) - i.e. "she's so great!". That is suggesting the chorus' secondary role in the production.