A Chorus Line : A couple of thoughts

A couple of thoughts

How did Sheila ever make it through the first stage? She just totally walked away in the middle of a few of the dance sequences. SHe looked about 45 too. Also how did that other girl that was married to that guy ever get that far? She was totally lost on the dances the whole time. She was the worst one out of the hundreds that auditioned.
Funny how Zach made that big speech telling them how they're all special and then called all these people to the front and just casually said "thanks a lot" after he totally faked them out into thinking they made it. THe first few times the people he called to the front were the ones that made it, not the ones that didn't. It was like one of those "ha ha gotcha moments. You thought you made it and the joke is on you!" Total fake out and screw job. That was cold. lol
That song "surprise" made no sense to me and was totally out of place. Worst song in the movie.

Prime example of an amazing broadway show that translated absolutely horribly to the big screen. Or did they just screw it up that badly? Most stage shows that are made into movies have all kinds of sets and things going on which then could be shown in a movie giving the viewers more insight to the story and more visuals. This entire broadway production took place on a stage during an audition. So basically there was nothing more to give the viewers that couldn't be given in the stage production. I don't see why they thought throwing in all that crap with Cassie and their past relationship would've made such a huge difference. So it's not surprising as to why it failed. it was basically a broadway production on the big screen but not as good.

Re: A couple of thoughts

How did Sheila ever make it through the first stage? She just totally walked away in the middle of a few of the dance sequences.
As mentioned later on in the film she mentions that she and Zach both worked in a show together, He possibly remembered her and also how much of a diva she could be, but still knew how good a dancer she was.

That song "surprise" made no sense to me and was totally out of place.
I don't think that Surprise was out of place at all. You have Mark talking about growing up, (cue segments of Hello 12; Hello 13; Hello Love) then Zach asks him about sex, once Mark tells his story, the others share their experiences, Richie goes into 'Surprise' - how is it out of place???

This entire broadway production took place on a stage during an audition. So basically there was nothing more to give the viewers that couldn't be given in the stage production. I don't see why they thought throwing in all that crap with Cassie and their past relationship would've made such a huge difference.
I think it worked well on screen. I'm actually glad they inserted some of Cassie & Zach's back story during the 'Let Me Dance For You' number. I would have liked to have seen the original 'Music & The Mirror' routine in the film but I guess over 6 minutes of solo dance would have lost some people's attention.

I'll trade with anyone who has a jaccuzzi!!!!