Alice in Wonderland : I just got this on DVD!

I just got this on DVD!

I found it at my grocery store. I've been looking for this movie for years!!

Re: I just got this on DVD!

What store?!

Don't be ridiculous! Jack would never die without telling me

I really want this version!

AnnieBell

Perfect Love casts out all fear.

I remember watching this Alice in Wonderland TV movie during Christmas of 1985.
It was one of Irwin Allen's last projects before he died in the 1990's. Irwin Allen stayed away from movies after When Time Ran Out(1980) flopped at the box office! I had forgotten about this Alice in Wonderland TV movie until I found clips on You Tube. I bought a DVD copy from the net. The DVD preserves the film as it was presented on television. A malelovent dragon tries to hurt Alice and "To Be Continued" appears on the screen. The second part was shown the next evening. Irwin Allen tried to emulate Poltergeist(1982) in this TV movie. In 1985, it was still a popular movie. Poltergeist II: The Other Side(1986) came out the next year and it was a box office hit. The Poltergiest film franchise was dead in the water after Poltergeist III(1988). Heather O' Rourke look-a-like Natalie Gregory plays Alice. The music in this TV movie is fine, but Steve Allen's songs are very corny! Everyone from Roddy McDowell to Telly Savalas to Sherman Hemsley to Shelley Winters to Red Buttons play cats, rats, playing cards, kings, queens and rabbits. The tone of this film is very surreal. Cakes and potions can change Alice's height and size. Natalie Gregory is cute and sweet and she did give an earnest, sincere performance as an Americanized version of Alice. She looks so cute as she screams at the dragon, "Please don't hurt me!" This Alice in Wonderland TV movie is campy and dated, but it's still colorful and fun to watch.

The only reason Natalie looked exactly like Heather was because she had a wig on, her real hair is brunette. But you probably already knew that.

James Rolfe, The Angry Video Game Nerd at Cinemassacre, claims he's a fan of this 1985 Alice in Wonderland TV movie. He's right. Depending on your standards, this TV movie is a fun, camp classic or a load of garbage! Rolfe claims he ran out of the living room when the Jabberwocky hunted Alice. Most of the TV movie is a fun, colorful adventure, then it'll switch gears into a Poltergeist rip off! Rolfe is also a fan of the animated Alice in Wonderland made by Walt Disney Pictures in 1951. Tacked on romance and dopey humor are common in Disney movies.

As a fan of Lewis Carroll's original books, I have to say that this is the most faithful adaptation so far. Which is sad, because it does have some corny songs and is really just a parade of late 20th century TV stars, but no other big budget production - least of all Tim Burton's travesty - has managed to remain so true to the plot of Carroll's books.

I first saw this when I was about 8, and the Jabberwock was definitely terrifying.

Sometimes I almost feel just like a human being

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.