Red Dwarf : For the love of everything smeggy there is NO season 9!

For the love of everything smeggy there is NO season 9!

Ok no ranting here but I keep seeing this over and over again for the last 7+ years now but shock guys and girls there is no season 9 it's called 'back to earth' and is a 3 part mini-series NOT season 9

Re: For the love of everything smeggy there is NO season 9!

Since the series after Back to Earth is called series 10, there's no problem alternatively calling Back to Earth series 9.

um no it doesnt work like that it's a mini series NOT season 9 so nothing comes before it and nothing comes after it

Infact this isn't even 'red dwarf' it's 'red dwarf: back to earth' think of it like a spin off yes it's connected to the main show but there isn't an order

Plus the maker of the show has said this many times before and the whole point of no season 9 is a joke as this point but no one seems to get it and call 'back to earth' season 9 simply as there isn't a season 9

What if there was a season 9 but no season 3? Would that make 'back to earth' season season 3? No it wouldn't..

I see your logic and I reminded myself of a joke in Back to Earth where they said that (a fictional) series 9 of the show was the best ever. So I accept Red Dwarf Back to Earth is a mini series and there's no series 9, partially as a joke of there being no series 9 (eg, if I was going to invent other reasons too, because so much time had lapsed / a clean break for the Dave channel).

Your last line takes things too far though as Back to Earth has the 'effect' of plugging the gap between series 8 and 10 whilst your fictional example there is of a series number being left out for many years which would no longer make sense in the joke terms you mentioned of being bookended by a series 8 and a series 10. They'd have made a new joke altogether if they'd left out a series 3 as a long running joke and, who knows, Back to Earth might have been made to be a missing series 3 as the final piece in that long running joke.

So... You agree with me? ?

Also thanks for the reminder about them making jokes at the end of back to earth about season 9 being awesome etc they also do this in season 10 so there really is a season 9 based on what happened after season 8's cliffhanger they just haven't (and won't) be filming it.. Those smegheads lol

No it's not season 9. Season 9 doesn't exist. I think this is a Red Dwarf joke that ties in to all of the other stuff that doesn't really make sense. But it's Red Dwarf so who cares!

Explains the situation precisely!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP3gzee1cps

I call it "series 9" or "season 9" just like a lot of people. Don't see why we should listen to or obey some pretentious fanboy dictating what it is and isn't.

um no it doesnt work like that it's a mini series NOT season 9 so nothing comes before it and nothing comes after it

Nothing comes before? So why didn't this mini-series bother to establish the characters and their background independently of previous seasons? Ah yes... because they did this in seasons made before "Back to Earth".

think of it like a spin off yes it's connected to the main show but there isn't an order

But didn't you just say "nothing comes before it and nothing comes after it" – how does something connect to nothing? You appear to have contradicted yourself. Besides which, "Back to Earth" makes references to earlier episodes, particularly the one with the despair squid, "Back to Reality", ergo, establishing what came before this, coupled with the fact part one began with "Nine years later" which sets it on the timeline after season 8. Result: something before and after.

Furthermore, it's not a "spin-off" because it's part of Red Dwarf canon, with the same cast, setting and theme. Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures are spin-offs of Doctor Who. The Clone Wars and Rebels are spin-offs of the Star Wars films. Star Trek TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enteprise are spin-offs of the Original series. Stargate SG1 series is a spin-off of the Stargate film. The Lone Gunmen was a spin-off of The X-Files. Your example is completely inaccurate with regards the definition of what a "spin-off" is – a by-product of a parent feature. "Back to Earth" is not a by-product, it simply has a different production format which affects how it looks and feels. Off-topic for a moment: it was full of forced humour and far less funny. I don't like "canned laughter" (as in an artifical laugh track added later), but I do miss a live audience laughing naturally after 8 seasons, and I think it also helps the cast time and manage their jokes and punchlines better when an audience is there to react instantly. The delivery of every joke in "Back to Earth" is flat and the mood is very different; far less relaxed and natural feeling. /off-topic

The series has always made episodes with events happening in chronological order, so the way you think of it is unique to you and stupid because if you don't think of it in any order you'd have to slot it in anywhere other than when it was made to relate to the events therein. By calling "Back to Earth" season 9 this allows the producers to retain the events as part of the Red Dwarf canon and possibly refer to them in later episodes rather than produce a new season 9 and leave fans confused as to whether "Back to Earth" is canon or not. I've never seen anything official which suggests "Back to Earth" is non-canon and should be ignored. Kristine Kochanski left after season 8, "Back to Earth" explains why she left, though is does not explain how Rimmer became a hologram again seeing as he was resurrected by nanobots for season 8 and seemed to survive. In season 10 he continues as a hologram. Red Dwarf has never been strict when it comes to explaining continuity issues, which is part of the comedy.

What if there was a season 9 but no season 3? Would that make 'back to earth' season season 3? No it wouldn't..

But there was a season 3, and "Back to Earth" was made after season 8 but before season 10. Therefore your argument is moot. "What if" proposals are strawman arguments which never hold up to scrutiny. If there had been no season 3 there would probably have been no more Red Dwarf or something else made in season 3's place just as "Back to Earth" fills season 9's place. Either way, your argument is weak and silly.

In short, don't bother trying to over-analyse Red Dwarf by patronising us "guys and girls" with your own slapdash subjective opinions. Continuity issues and the naming of season 9 are all part of the show. It's a comedy, it makes mistakes because it can get away with it and sometimes because it wants to. It skipped from season 8 to 10 intentionally, leaving "Back to Earth" to fill-in as de facto season 9. Even though "Back to Earth" is crap there's no need to write it off completely, as you seem to be demanding of people. If you don't like it that's your right, just don't expect other fans of the show to listen to your pompous ideals. You come across as one of those over-zealous "Greedo shot first" fanboys who'd rather insult the show's flaws and set terms for other fans than live and let live. Of course, I don't expect you to agree with anything I've said, self-righteous people usually have their head too far up their own backside to care what anyone else thinks, but sufficed to say, your "it's not season 9" argument is pretty hollow, and unlike Picnic10 I fail to see your logic.

While it's not a season nine and even though it's not an accurate way to list it, I think it's better to have it put there than seperate. The new episodes of "The X-Files" wasn't a new season, but IMDb eventually lumped it in as a new season.

Season eight of "In the Heat of the Night" wasn't a season, but a series of TV movies.

"Columbo" wasn't a series ever, but rather many many TV movies, yet it's listed as a series.

Similarly, as I recall, "Hercules: The Legendary Journeys" and "Walker, Texas Ranger" first seasons are just seperate TV movies and not seasons per se.

I think it's rather convinient to have them lumped in, rather than having to click on many seperate entries to see each one or look at "movie connections" to see if there were TV movies.

_____
The New Number 2: "Are you going to run?"
Number 6: "Like blazes. First chance I get."

Series: "a set or sequence of related television or radio programmes."

Columbo is marketed and sold as "The Complete Series" by the distributor. The films are sorted into 10 distinct seasons even though each film can be watched more stand-alone than a TV episode. Compiled, however, they do form a series.

X-Files: The Event Series is a continuation of the previous series, so technically it is a 10th season. I don't see why a long break since season 9 makes any difference to the numbering. They still form a logical progressive order.

That makes X-Files and Columbo each a series in my book.

I expect Walker: Texas Ranger and Hercules are considered separate pilot films, just as they did with Star Wars: The Clone Wars animated feature-length film. Similarly, the two How to Train Your Dragon films are not considered part of the Dragons animated series even though it is canon and they fit into the timeline. Films are usually excluded from series counts, I don't see the two X-Files films being counted as serial, although they do form part of the timeline and the events are considered canon.

It's more about being pragmatic than anything, in order to organise how serials piece together. "Red Dwarf: Back to Earth" was produced when season 9 would have been, it has 3 episodes, therefore it's suited to the position, either out of convenience or logic. If people want to skip it as a seasonm fine, but I'd like to know when they'd watch it during a marathon-run of every episode. If they're watching between 8 and 10 then it's as good as 9, however much they argue.

This is an issue to some people?

I must have missed the bit where all nations laid down their arms, every disease was cured and where we have literally nothing to worry about anymore.

Take them to the security kitchen!

Series: "a set or sequence of related television or radio programmes."

Yes, but a television series is something that begins and then ends and never comes back; otherwise those two crappy "Gunsmoke" TV movies would be a part of the series listing, or the "Walker, Texas Ranger" TV movies (not the ones I mentioned from season one) would be a part of the series listing, too.

Columbo is marketed and sold as "The Complete Series" by the distributor. The films are sorted into 10 distinct seasons even though each film can be watched more stand-alone than a TV episode. Compiled, however, they do form a series.

Marketing is after the fact and done for marketing purposes, but in reality there was never a "Columbo" TV series, just like there was never a "Columbo" theme music piece, but that was added after the fact, too.

X-Files: The Event Series is a continuation of the previous series, so technically it is a 10th season. I don't see why a long break since season 9 makes any difference to the numbering. They still form a logical progressive order.

The original announces ments and comments from Chris Carter were not that this was a new season, but rather a short run of specials. Whereas season ten and eleven (or series ten and eleven as they say) of "Red Dwarf" were new seasons after a long, long break.

That makes X-Files and Columbo each a series in my book.

If you want to see it that way, it's perfectly fine. If you put kittens in the oven it doesn't make them biscuits though!

I expect Walker: Texas Ranger and Hercules are considered separate pilot films,

No, I said TV movies, plural.

How to Train Your Dragon films are not considered part of the Dragons animated series even though it is canon and they fit into the timeline.

Of course not -- theatrical films do not count as part of a television series, even if in the same universe, like the 1966 "Batman" movie or "Serenity". It would be silly to even lump them together, regardless of canon.

Like I said, however, I think it works. It's better than dozens of seperate pages for, say, "Columbo".

_____
The New Number 2: "Are you going to run?"
Number 6: "Like blazes. First chance I get."

So, just to confirm. Is there a season 9 or not?