Red Dwarf : Need help from SERIOUS fans!?!?

Need help from SERIOUS fans!?!?

I need seriously hardcore fans to help me understand something...

How far is Red Dwarf from Earth? More to the point is how many years before Lister reaches Earth from when he came out of stasis?

I'm asking because I'm wondering why he doesn't use stasis while heading back to Earth to find out if he truly is the last human. And how does Holly know humans are extinct?

I love the show. Obviously there's no show if Lister and Cat go in stasis. But I'm still wondering about these things. Help?

Re: Need help from SERIOUS fans!?!?

As far as I recall, 3 million years away at whatever speed Red Dwarf can go.

Basically, Lister had just finished his shore leave on Titan when he smuggled Frankenstein the cat on board, so we know that they were near Saturn - or somewhere in our solar system - when Lister went into stasis. Then the drive plate incident occurred and because of the toxic radiation Holly just flew in a random direction until the radiation dropped to a safe level. So when Lister was released from stasis Holly had been going in a random direction for 3 million years, and at this point has no memory of which direction to go to get back to Earth.

So it will take a minimum of three million years to get back to Earth, if they are going in the right direction. To be honest the best thing to do would be for Lister to have immediately gone back into stasis and told Holly to wake him up when he gets there. But I guess that wouldn't have made a very good TV show, and he probably doesn't trust Holly to go the right way as he/she has now gone senile. I think Lister is pinning all his hopes on finding a teleporter or faster-than-light drive.

The idea that humans are extinct is simply a guess based on the fact that it's been 3 million years. It could be that humans have further evolved. As Rimmer points out in The End:

RIMMER: Can you imagine what humankind has evolved into? To them, you'll be the equivalent of the slime that first crawled out of the oceans.
LISTER: I could smarten meself up a bit.
RIMMER: Naah. You're a dinosaur. You're extinct. You've got nothing.

To humans 3 million years later, Lister would be the equivalent of a domestic science teacher.

I don't know what that means. And science teachers are just fine.

It's what Kryten says to Lister in Holoship. Rimmer's intelligence has been greatly increased in order to cheat an exam and as a consequence Lister gets irritated by Rimmer's pompous behaviour, such as his offer to translate a haiku into Mandarin because they don't understand the version in Japanese. This prompts Kryten to say:

You must remember, sir, that he's operating on a completely different level to us now. To him we are the intellectual equivalent of domestic science teachers.

A somewhat similar line comes from Holly at the beginning of Future Echoes:

This is an S.O.S distress call from the mining ship Red Dwarf. The crew are dead, killed by a radiation leak. The only survivors are Dave Lister, who was in suspended-animation during the disaster, and his pregnant cat who was safely sealed in the hold. Revived 3 million years later, Lister's only companions are, a life form who evolved from his cat and Arnold Rimmer, a hologram simulation of one of the dead crew. I am Holly, the ships computer with an IQ of 6,000 - the same IQ of 6,000 P.E. teachers.

How embarrassing. I should have remembered that line. The one for PE teachers was funny. Domestic teacher, I still don't get which might be why I forgot it. Apologies. Thank you sincerely for clearing that up. Perhaps they didn't like their science teacher, ;-)

Nah easy to forget :) My thinking was that Doug and Rob must have disliked some of their teachers too.

I think the term means what we used to call in the UK a home economics teacher, teaching cooking and related skills.

Domestic science is a very old term for home economics (which I think has also been replaced now).

Good luck, Captain. I think you're about to go where everyone has gone before
-- Susan Ivanova

I don't think it's actually known exactly how far they are from Earth - Holly accelerated away from the solar system to prevent the drive plate radiation from causing problems. Assuming he corrected course to avoid stars and the like, he wouldn't have gone in a straight line, and the speed wasn't constant. Also, since they turned around they have travelled at different speeds and taken diversions to points of interest, which will impact their return distance.

The plan in Future Echoes was to go into stasis prior to Holly pushing the ship to light speed, but they reached speed early and the events of the episode got in the way of the plan.

They have used stasis and similar devices on the journey (Lister woke up from not-quite-stasis deep sleep at the beginning of series VI). Perhaps the in-universe reason for not using them for the whole journey is that they've actually bonded now and want to hang out together.

Holly probably doesn't know for certain that humans are extinct, but it's highly likely that humans, at least in the form we know them, are. Although the genus Homo has existed for nearly 2,000,000 years, Homo sapiens has only existed as a species for 250,000. It's entirely reasonable to assume that any human-descended life is as different to us after 3,000,000 years as we are to Homo erectus.

Good luck, Captain. I think you're about to go where everyone has gone before
-- Susan Ivanova

I actually agree. :-)

It seems to me humans would be extinct. Just look at how advanced a lot of the technology is that the Red Dwarf crew encoutners throughout the show, that's not even current century tech'.

Humans were already so technologically evolved when the RD crew was killed, and even mroe advanced during the three million years, that they shoudl have averted death and traveled far far out, and be so plentiful that the RD crew should be encountering them all the time, yet all they find are abandoned stations, derelec ships, one ship of holograms, and Simulants and other failed dangerous military technology. This suggests devistating events to the human race during the millions of years, that wiped them all out. And every call center and network they get ahold of, is manned by driods and computer programs -- no humans to get ahold of.

And how glaring it is, thinking about it, how important Holly was to the show, and he's not even referenced or replaced.

_____
The New Number 2: "Are you going to run?"
Number 6: "Like blazes. First chance I get."

I don't know. I sorta like the feeling of lost and nowhere now with no Holly (Hilly). And being an older show we don't need to intro's or recaps he did early on the start of the series.

I did like him, and, I liked her too. Not sure who I liked better. They both worked and both make me laugh.