Red Dwarf : Prediction (Just had some Future Echo's of Series 12)… Spoilers maybe?

Prediction (Just had some Future Echo's of Series 12)… Spoilers maybe?

Here's my prediction. It all ends with series 12, when they go back in time and return to Earth. It starts with Snacky getting Holly back online. It all goes full circle as Hattie comes back in the role of Holly in the first episode of Series 12. Holly will do the necessary calculations and navigation to get them home. Perhaps even Norman will make an appearance, to tie it all up. They already have the time hopping gadgets. All that is needed is a gadget which can warp space and put them back in Earth's solar system. Twelve episode 6 will be the last episode. Rimmer gets his Officer's commission, in fact he's made an Admiral, on the basis of all the knowledge he's gained. Rimmer's 'father' (who is still alive in the past) is at last proud of him. Kryten remains with Rimmer in the Space Corp. Lister is reunited with Kochanski, but obviously she doesn't know any of this has happened, since we are now back in time, so he has the courage to ask her out. Cat goes to Fiji, with a bunch of girls... Stick around for my horse racing tips, and predictions on what stocks to buy...

Re: Prediction (Just had some Future Echo's of Series 12)… Spoilers ma

Honestly, I think they intend to just keep making them until Dave cancels it or the movie somehow happens.

I don't think they all committed to it for the sake of doing just two more series. Craig left Corrie to do it. He clearly saw it being an ongoing thing.

We'll see.

No offence but i hope your predictions dont come true. With the better quality of series XI, i want them to keep making them. Doug has already stated in an interview that he has ideas for series XIII. Fingers crossed this new series breathes new life into Red Dwarf and its goes on for another 10 years.

I would love to think that Red Dwarf could carry on for another 10 or even 20 years, and looking at the most recent series you wouldn't think there's any reason why they couldn't, they all look great. In fact their mortality was always a central plot point of the early episodes - Lister in Future Echoes and the novel Better Than Life, Kryten in The Last Day, all of them in Out of Time - so in a way them getting old goes with the tone of the show and doesn't ruin it. Compared with say, the Young Ones, where the concept wouldn't age well.

Counter to that though, Robert Llewellyn is 60 now. Of all of them, the one who most needs to be physically able is Robert due to the demands of wearing the costume. (And maybe Cat, because then the jokes about him don't work.) While the others I think probably could play their roles for even 15-20 years, I don't see Robert still wanting to put the costume on at 70. And the others won't want to carry on without him. Maybe by then Kryten could be CGI and Robert could do the voice, but that wouldn't really be the same. So I hope I'm wrong but perhaps the upper limit is 10 years, and even worse with Red Dwarf that could be just another two or three series.

Has to end at some point, the plots are getting tired and beginning to look revisionist. It would be disappointing if it just went on and on like some space opera without an end, unresolved and neverending. I don't think the creators would want that. This is probably part of the reason that the BBC dropped the show. If it had had the strength to make it as a movie, we'd have been there already. Mind you the BBC have a habit of killing everyone off at the end of their shows, so that it may never be visited again. I don't think this will happen on Dave, but I do think the show will end.

I expect they'll leave open the possibility of more series in the future.

If Red Dwarf ever does have a clear ending, I don't want it to be a happy one like what you describe. That just wouldn't fit with the tone of the show.

🌵

Seasons 13 and 14 are already in the works... so no.

No it isn't... Go on cite your evidence.

How about:

Rimmer's dreams of finally getting back to Earth and away from Lister are crushed when they arrived and find the Earth is populated by Lister clones -- the only survivors of man kind, as per this season Lister sold his DNA for cloning and there were apparently call centers with Lister clones.

_____
The New Number 2: "Are you going to run?"
Number 6: "Like blazes. First chance I get."

Damn that's good... ;-)

Although I wouldn't go as far to say that it's in the works, Doug has dropped a hint, so there may be a slight grain of truth to it:

https://twitter.com/DougRDNaylor/status/767795573957201920

Naylor will do it till he dies provided the funding is there to make them.

Doug Naylor said that he intends to keep going for as long as he has ideas for episodes, and predicts at least 2 more series after XII. So I very doubt there's going to be any definitive end of that series.