Red Dwarf : Which Holly Was Better?

Which Holly Was Better?

Norman Lovett as Male Holly who appeared in Series 1 and Series 2 and returned in Series 7 and Series 8

Hattie Hayridge as Female Holly who appeared in Series 3, Series 4 and Series 5

No Holly appeared since end of Series 8

I like Norman Lovett more, he is hilarious and the character was more prominant in Lovett's era, i loved how he opened each episode.

It is a shame he didnt stay because i think the show got better in Series 3 as it became more adventurous and more sets and scenes etc and the costumes looked better.

Who is your favourite Holly?

Re: Which Holly Was Better?

I'll always prefer Norm... He just fitted in with the cast better...

...Shame we never got to see more of Gordon... Would have made an interesting replacement if they hadn't gone with Hattie.

You can always count on Americans to do the right thing; after they've tried everything else.

Hattie Hayridge was the first Holly I knew and it made sense to have a female counterpoint rather than replace Norman with another male. I think Norman was probably given funnier lines on the whole due to his Holly's laid backness whereas Hayridge's was more neurotic. But, harsh truth, Holly's days were arguably numbered by Kryten becoming increasingly smart alec. They could have a better flow and save money by just relying on Kryten.

Norman. Loved his dry humour

I liked both, but I'll give it to Lovett. Just due to him having the better lines to work with, and him appearing in the first two series where, at a time, his character was more necessary.

Hattie replaced him at a time when the character of Holly was less needed due to Kryten's promotion, and the crew spending more time away from The Dwarf.

Good point about Kryten overshadowing Holly, never really thought about it that way before

I'm firmly on Team Norm, but I'd rather have a sexual encounter with Hattie.

Hattie's coming back as Holly in series 12 - check a convention video with her from a few days ago. She all but confirms it.

I hope that's true. The show isn't the same without Holly. I prefer original Holly, but Lady Holly works better with the new show format I think.

"I said no camels, that's five camels, can't you count?"

Norm was my first Holly, so I'd go with him. His deadpan delivery was sublime and I think he did get better lines than Hattie.

I'd love to have seen him do some of the Hayridge episodes, especially White Hole. You do get some of the effect in the Audiobook where Chris Barrie does an impression of the male Holly and that storyline is included.

Ha! Wouldn't it be weird as f. if Queeg took over... :-) Then they'd struggle to get Snacky to get Holly online again, with a nod to the past episode and another epic battle with Queeg...

It has to be Hattie for me. I liked Norman but there were moments in the first two series where he got lines which outright made me cringe. Like in Thanks for the Memory in series 2 when the crew are on the planetoid, partying and Holly is seen headbanging. I can't say there was a moment in Hattie's run where she had any cringe-worthy moments. Also, I just thought she had more bite to her when she insulted Rimmer. I always got the impression that her version of Holly wasn't quite so tolerant of the Hologram as what the male one was.

I've never had any problem with Hattie Hayridge's performance but Norman Lovett's is on another level. To be fair to Hattie she didn't get as many chances to shine, her role was more of a background one (no pun intended!)