Red Dwarf : Didn't Craig Charles' name used to flash up first? Why is it now Barrie?

Didn't Craig Charles' name used to flash up first? Why is it now Barrie?

I've noticed this in the show intro scene for the newer series. Chris Barrie is listed first, almost as if he's the main actor and main character. Charles now appears second. I am sure that it used to be the other way round - Charles was always regarded as the primary actor and character.

The show's original premise was Dave Lister (Craig Charles) being the last human alive in the universe with the other characters there for him to bounce off. Are they going down a more Rimmer-focused route now?

Re: Didn't Craig Charles' name used to flash up first? Why is it now Bar

It's always been Chris Barrie first (since the show has been on Dave, they didn't have the actors names in the intro before that). I presume it's just alphabetical order.

Girls just wanna have fun...https://youtu.be/dC3MpShH61I

Yeah, their names could be listed alphabetically, like on many other shows..

Having said that, Charles did once say in an interview with the Telegraph ( I think it was ) that during series 1, he found out that Chris was being paid twice the money that he was per episode, perhaps because Barrie had been working on tv for several years as an impressionist before Dwarf came along ( Spitting Image, Jasper Carrot and a few other things ) whilst Craig was almost entirely a new face. Danny was probably getting even less than Craig because in series 1 Cat was only a secondary role.

Presumably by later series, they were being paid more or less the same.

Re: Didn't Craig Charles' name used to flash up first? Why is it now Barrie?

Chris Barrie was the bigger star when it began, Barrie has always been billed first in the credits

I imagine it's entirely alphabetical order by surname now. Ever since series 6 in particular, it's been all about an ensemble, less about Barrie getting many of the standout moments.

I always thought Chris Barrie was funnier

Didn't Craig Charles' name used to flash up first?

No.

It's surprising how many comedy shows Chris Barrie appeared in during the 1980's

Spitting Image ( as a regular )
Carrot's Lib ( as a regular )
Saturday Live
an episode of Blackadder the Third
an episode of Happy Families (appearing alongside Jennifer Saunders)
Hale and Pace ( as James Bond )

and a number of other comedy roles

He was obviously one of the 'go to guys' if you needed an impressionist in the 80's and 90's.

an episode of Blackadder the Third

I love Blackadder and never knew he was in an episode! It's been years since I've seen it. What character did he portray?

He was the French Ambassador in 'Nob and Nobility' who talks to Blackadder and Baldric as they spend time in a prison

Thanks! I'll have to check that out.

Thanks. I totally don't remember that scene at all.