Field of Dreams : Archie Graham (Easter egg)

Archie Graham (Easter egg)

In re-watching Field of Dreams for the first time in quite a while, I realized something that I had always missed before... in the beginning when Archie is up to bat (where he almost gets his head taken off by the pitcher after winking), he finally hits a Sacrifice Fly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacrifice_fly). In other words, the writers are setting him up in the very beginning as the one team mate who is willing to sacrifice himself for the good of the group.

Then at the end, who is the guy who walks across the line, allowing everyone to be able to see the team? Archie... the payoff to the character they setup at the beginning.

Anyway, it was one of those Easter eggs that I never caught until just now. Just thought I'd share it.

Re: Archie Graham (Easter egg)

Well, the problem there is the "sacrifice fly" is not really a very well-named play. Despite what Wikipedia may say, I can tell you from nearly 50 years' experience with the game that the sacrifice fly usually results not from a desire to give oneself up but from an attempt to drive the ball hard that's only semi-successful. In other words, you hit the ball with decent power but get under it a bit, causing too much lift for it to split the outfielders or carry over the fence.

I'm not sure of the etymology of the term (I think whoever wrote that Wikipedia entry is making an assumption that doesn't wash), but I suspect it stems from the earlier designation "sacrifice bunt," which is a much more accurate description of the hitter's intent -- you're dropping down a bunt (and usually squaring the bat toward the pitcher early, giving the defense a split-second warning of what you're up to), just trying to get it on the ground in fair territory with the idea of advancing the baserunner, even if it means being out. Dropping down a bunt without intent to get a hit is one thing; hitting a deep flyout without intent to square the ball up successfully enough to get a base hit is quite another. The former is easy enough if you're properly coached; the latter is pretty near impossible.

Since so-called sacrifice flies don't count as official at-bats in individual statistics, I always figured what the writers were shooting for was that Archie, who never got to bat in his one major league game, still never really gets an "at bat" in the statistical sense.

I think the point of the Sac Fly is something of a baseball in-joke: he finally gets to face a real major league pitcher...but in the end STILL does not get an "at bat." A sac fly is considered a plate appearance, but does not count as an at-bat.

Even in death, Moonlight Graham is 0-0.

Even though Archie is STILL 0-0, he still gets an RBI in the game's scorecard. :)

You're right. These other responses are silly. Yes, Doc still has no official ABs, but he did get an at bat, which is all he wanted. Well, he wanted a triple, and that's the whole point. He didn't get his AB in real life, and he didn't get his triple this time. But he was in the game. Both in baseball and in life. "If I'd only gotten to be a doctor for five minutes...now that would've been a tragedy." Indeed.

Doc talks about facing down a big league pitcher and winking, he got to do that...but he went on to say he also wanted to run the bases and wrap his arms around the bag, but not once does he get to do that. It would've been neat had he been able to accomplish that feet before transforming into his old self and disappearing for good into the corn.