Field of Dreams : Kevin was only 33 when this was shot!

Kevin was only 33 when this was shot!

Wow, you wouldn't have thought him to be that young. I would have said late 30s.

Re: Kevin was only 33 when this was shot!

The only thing that slightly mars this movie is the issue you have identified. I would be curious as to how someone like Harrison Ford, Billy Crystal, Bill Murray, Kevin Kline, John Ritter, or even Tom Selleck would have played this role. Kevin Costner would have been just into his teens at the end of the 1960s decade, so the actors I mentioned above maybe would have been a little more age appropriate for the role. This is still not saying that Costner was a bad choice and did a lousy job as Ray Kinsella, but I am still curious about this issue. Any other thoughts about this?

I think he was great in it, and he seemed like a dreamer. John Ritter could have pullled it off, Bill Murray too, Tom Selleck? Too much of an alpha male I think. Billy? Too New York. Bill Murray? I think he would have been great.

An actor's age has nothing to do with the characters age. You said "Kevin Costner would have been just into his teens at the end of the 1960s" but the character Costner played would not have been. That's the difference.

If a 48 year old Robert Redford can be believed first as a teenager, and then a 30ish player in The Natural....then Costner can definitely pass as a 40 year old as he was 33.

But you're right, my mind also did the math as they were talking about their experiences in the 60's, and in the mid-60's the real Costner would have been 10 years old.

However, Ray also said he was 14 when he read Mann's book that caused him to rebel against his father and stop playing catch with him, so not too far off.

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?

He was only a few years younger than his character. I think he could identify pretty well because of that. Besides that, you need someone who looks the part more than you need someone who is the right age. Tom Selleck is pretty much the only guy you listed that could pull off the look and that's a long shot because he doesn't look like a farmer.

Back then, I always thought Costner was rather mature-looking for his young age. He seemed to play characters that were older than him, like in Bull Durham and this movie.

Well, he was 33, you thought he was late 30s (say, 39), and in the movie Ray says he's 36. So they split the difference.

As that great philosopher Bugs Bunny said, "Something tells me I shoulda stood in bed."

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Even though Costner's actual age was probably old enough to fit some of the characters he played around this time, the characters he played seemed older and more world-weary than Costner's age. For example, Crash Davis in Bull Durham seemed more like a guy in his late 30s than early 30s. Costner seemed to play older than his actual age at that time. Nowadays, you'd have actors in their early 40s playing these roles!

It's funny when actors go from playing the "20 something/30something" to suddenly at age 38-42 playing the parents of college aged kids. Even though they are old enough, we didn't see those actors age before our eyes, they sort of floated around "young adult."

Uh...he may have actually been 33 but he looked mid-40s at the time. The whole time I watched I kept thinking "Costner looks way too old for 36 yrs old."
Ironically, he was actually younger than that.

www.huffingtonpost.com/nathan-j-winograd/PETA-KILLS-PUPPIES-KITTENS_b_2979220.html

And Bradley Cooper is 41 and looks younger. BTW, I think Cooper is getting better looking with age, he wasn't that impressive in Wedding Crashers when he was 30 years old. It's funny how some people loose all their looks by 40 and others get more distinguished.

I thought the same thing didn't think much of Bradley when he was in Alias but he looks great now,Kevin looks really good now aS well he's aging really well.

I was surprised because so many 33 year olds can easily pass for mid 20's. I thought he was 40 years old. Aaron Paul was 33 years old when he did the final 8 episodes of Breaking Bad and looked like he was 24 years old.