Field of Dreams : VW Microbus

VW Microbus

Does anyone know what year VW Microbus he was driving? And is it still around somewhere? Whatever happened to it?

Re: VW Microbus

doesn't look safe.

🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴

I saw an interesting little documentary about these vehicles. There's a manual with instructions about repairing/replacing the parts of the very simple and accessible engine, so theoretically you can keep them going forever. The doc had old hippies with hundreds of thousands of miles on their original VW buses and several people in third world countries who are able to have the transportation they need for self-employment because they can keep this particular vehicle model running.

The main danger came from puttering along at top speeds of ~50 mph in the middle of modern US highway traffic. The hippies stick to the backroads, but they're cool with that.

Actually, my 1971 Microbus Sportsmobile Camper does 65 mph pretty easily, as do my 1965 Beetle and 1974 Thing. The air-cooled engines are much easier to work on than performance engines, and run forever! There's quite a vintage Volkswagen movement here in the States. The VW enthusiast magazine I write for, Hot VW's, reaches over 900,000 subscribers, and we regularly cover hundreds of vintage VW shows across the country. It's always nice to see our favorite vehicles immortalized in film, like Field of Dreams. I just wonder what happened to that one, or whether it was just a loan for the film. Too bad it's not in a museum, like the Bus from Little Miss Sunshine, now on display at the newly-renovated and reopened Petersen Museum in Los Angeles.