Field of Dreams : Archie 'Moonlight' Graham

Archie 'Moonlight' Graham

This is something that I have not seen discussed on this board, as far as I know.

Ray and Terrance pick up a young Archie when returning to Iowa. Archie gets to live his dream, kind of, by getting to play with the major leaguers of his time and then he more or less sacrifices that in order to do what he really enjoyed by stepping over the line and helping Karen.

Now, as we know, he can't come back and play again because he went past the boundry but what I am wondering is, what if he never stepped on the field to begin with? Would he have grown old as the years past or would he stay that age until he finally stepped on the field?

Just something I was thinking of after watching this for about the 30th time.

Re: Archie 'Moonlight' Graham

There's no way of knowing.

He's taking the knife out of the Cheese!
Do you think he wants some cheese?

he had a bad attitude.

🎍Season's greetings!🎅🌲

I don't think Archie would have been brought back unless he was absolutely willing to step onto that field and play.

Yeah, but he didn't come back like all the others. Every one else came out of the corn field, Archie was picked up on the side of the road, that's the only reason I speculate on it.

Interesting point, but this version of Graham hadn't stepped onto a field yet, at least that's how it appears to me. He was a raw rookie on his way to try to make his way into the bigs. Remember how he talks about teams finding jobs for players? He would have known this if he had already played.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Archie Graham, while he never swung a bat or hit a Home run in the movie plot, I'm to the conclusion after watching for the 52nd time, that just maybe his "at bat, or Home Run" which he always wanted so badly if you will, was saving the girls life, and thats why he was called to Iowa, for another devine purpose rather than just to play baseball.

Saving the girls Life, got the attention of all the people and past players on the Diamond. In many ways, his "at Bat", was doing the most amazing and Heroic deed. This is also can explain why Mark, Rays in-law, suddenly agrees to ray keeping the ball field.

Just maybe "If you Build it, he will come" did not have everything to do with baseball, but rather Building Hopes and dreams.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

that just maybe his "at bat, or Home Run" which he always wanted so badly if you will, was saving the girls life, and thats why he was called to Iowa, for another devine purpose rather than just to play baseball.

Never thought of that. Great point.

Good point. That's why I think he doesn't take too long to step over. He knew that being a doctor was his true calling in life and that deep down he wouldn't trade his career as a doctor for that of a career in the majors.

Archie's "At Bat"

Although his turn at the plate in Field of Dreams wouldn't have counted in the record book as an official at bat, he hit a sacrifice fly that scored a run, so his run batted in would've qualified as a batting statistic -- something that the real "Moonlight" Graham never had because he never got up to hit in the Major Leagues. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7mq92_field-of-dreams-archie-at-bat_ shortfilms

So, in the film, Archie "scores" twice by driving in a run as a young man and then saving Karen from choking to death as his older self.

Hey Rookie! You were good!