Field of Dreams : Still makes me cry

Still makes me cry

Ever at the age of 24 I still cry at the end of this movie. I don't give a sh!t what anyone else has to say about that. This movie hits that point of innocence that we all wish we could get back to.

Re: Still makes me cry

I'm 31 and I cry like a baby, I dont need to see it from the start. Its the Father- Son bond, and about passing along the national past time. Father and sons always have baseball. We can fight and agrue but my Father and I can always talk about baseball. And we played catch quite a bit. For me the tears start when James Earl Jones does the speech on baseball.

I'm with you on that. I'm 31 myself and all it takes is the last 10 minutes or so. I don't need the speech necessarily but it definitely starts getting the emotions turning.

I'm 48, British and *not* a baseball fan - but that father-son thing transcends baseball, transcends sport itself. One of only 3 movies to start this ex-Royal Marine snuffling :-)

This is the only movie that has ever made me cry. Saw it again the other day and it still made my eyes well up with tears at the end.

If You Film It . . . They Will Cry

Much older than most of those who've commented (old enough so that the first baseball game I saw in person was a World Series game at Yankee Stadium between the Yankees and Brooklyn Dodgers - with my father), but saw this film alone in a theater a few months after my father died. I had no knowledge of the ending and didn't see it coming, so that made this old man cry, too. It still gets me.

Though it has been critically panned by some, it remains one of my favorite films. Maybe it's something about all those catches with the gloves my father bought for me, and the years when he coached me when I was young. Still have both the flat-as-a-pancake catcher's mitt my father used in the 1940s and the last glove my father bought for me - and still use that glove when having catches with my sons. A trip to that field in Dyersville, Iowa is on my Bucket List.

Hey Dad, you wanna have a catch? http://www.hulu.com/watch/12473

Re: If You Film It . . . They Will Cry

I'm 24 too, and the movie gets EVERY time. ;)

I'm 31 and I still cry whenever Ray says "Hey, Dad..you wanna have a catch?" I get choked up just thinking about it. I can watch that scene 10 times in a row and cry every single time. It just resonates deeply within me.

The part that always gets to me is the goodbye scene with the character played by Burt lancaster. I'm 54 and grew up with his movies and my favorite actor, this was his last appearance in a major film and the tears are shed at his final curtain. For that scene alone this film is to be remembered.

For me, the scene that chokes me up the most is when Archie gives up baseball (again) to save Karen. It's seriously the saddest thing. And then when Shoeless Joe tells him that he was good, that's when the tears start. It's a beautifully shot scene.

I couldn't agree more. I start tearing as soon as he changes to the doctor form and you realize he ended the dream he waited so long for...The tears don't stop til after the movie ends..

My dad always tears up at the end of this film, although I think that's because he can relate to Costner's character and the problems he had with his father, as well as memories of playing catch with him when he was a kid. I watched this film tonight and also teared up (I'm 22!), even though I don't really have any problems with my father. This movie has become a cliche for men to cry at, but it's kind of true...

To all you "youngens", you will still be crying at this movie by the time you're my age. Which is, you know, old.

I totally agree, i'm 42 and I cried last time I watched, it,, and i'm a life long baseball fan.
are you going to bark all day little doggie,, or are you going to bite

I'm scared to watch this movie. Now, I can recite it practically the whole way through. But, you see, I always bawl at this movie ... and that's when my dad was still alive. Well, now my dad has passed away. I'm afraid it's going to rip me apart now.

Good for you, OP.

I think most men cry at the end of this movie for different reasons.

"Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody."

the ending still kills me everytime, but not quite for the same reasons as most people here.

ray asks: is there a heaven?
ray's dad say: oh yeah. it's the place where dreams come true.
ray looks up and sees his wife and daughter laughing on the porch swing.
ray: maybe this is heaven.

i feel the same way with my family (one wife, one daughter). and everytime it just kills me.

During the RAGBRAI bike ride across Iowa in 2010, we rode by there the last day and stopped in. Even had a pickup game started. When I was leaving on my bike to the finish town in Dubuque, I thought of the father son scene and my deceased father and cried for a good five miles on my bike.

You are not alone. The tears begin when he asks he dad if he wants to have a catch. That scene kicks my butt every time. Two years ago, my father passed on. I told myself that I was not going to watch FoD for a long time because it reminded me of my dad, but I watched it a few months after his passing and just could not stop crying at that scene.

MM