Field of Dreams : Where did the umpire come from?

Where did the umpire come from?

I guess the same place as the players but had he once been a real guy like the players were?

--------------------------------
I did sixty in five minutes once...

Re: Where did the umpire come from?

He was probably a baseball umpire in his life. Best guess.

Losers always whine about doing their best; winners go home and "eff" the prom queen

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

I would have liked them to take Ty Cobb up on his offer...too bad nobody could stand the son of a bitch.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

It was a funny line, quipped in the way which made Liotta a star. But it was awfully cruel. The one thing not fitting in this story. By the end, they should've had him out there.

Why was it cruel? It was Jackson whose career was cut short. Ty Cobb had a long, HOF career, then made a gazillion dollars as an early investor in Coke Cola since he too was from Georgia...that son of a bitch! ;o)

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?

It's cruel to keep him from their thing in the afterlife. Petty and cruel. Not to mention a douche thing for the writer to do to the family of Cobb in real life.

Well yeah there's that....but it was a funny line, particularly considering Cobb's reputation as a dirty player, hated teammate, and an unabashed racist.

The Georgia Peach was a southern Protestant who hated northerners, Catholics, blacks and apparently anybody else who was different from him...

If there was a Dirty Player Hall of Fame, Ty Cobb would be an inaugural member. Ty Cobb by far. Not only did his teammates hate him, they once sent a gift basket of congratulations to a player on another team after they thought he beat Cobb for the batting title.

All true, no doubt. And they needed a line to allow for Ray Liotta's signature style. But in keeping with the theme of the movie, surely there was some room for forgiveness in that cornfield. Didn't ruin the movie by any means. Just would've liked to see Cobb near the end. The idea of anybody being excluded from that Heaven is just too cruel.

And on that, we can agree....

Cheers...

One can assume without difficulty he was qualified from the right era and well known, if not beloved, by most of the players. Just because I can't name a famous umpire and wonder if there is such a thing outside of the inner circle of the hardest of hard core students of baseball, doesn't raise any significant problems for the movie.

It invites some facetious answers e.g. "Hell", "The Stork brought him" etc.

CB

Good Times, Noodle Salad

It is a question because all the baseball players are real and wanted to come back so they could play the game they love again. The umpire is just an umpire and wouldn't really do it for fun, just for pay. Which he wouldn't receive in this kind of game. It is a question because it is a legit thought, douchebag.

Perhaps they came back for the pleasure of tormenting the same slobs they tormented in life for money since they have no further use for the money and it's boring over on the other side. I'll bet it beats sitting around back at afterlife central listening to Ty Cobb carp about not being invited. If most baseball players did not make much back then, what do you suppose umpires made? In any case the umpires all take exception to your patronizing them as "just an umpire" as well and wonder why you think you know so much about their attitude toward baseball.

Apart from that there is too much nitpicking on these threads concerning the plausibility of minute details of a story that is fantasy, not science fiction nor docudrama.

CB

Good Times, Noodle Salad

You might want to omit the last word in your response, since it is uncalled for, unimaginative and reflects more unfavorably on you than on me. If not, is that all you got?

Well not really because you asked "Why is this even a question." It is a question because I asked it. It was a thought and I typed it. Just respond to it if you have an answer and leave it be.
And I still wonder if the ump was a real major league umpire back in the day like the players were real players.

There were and still are plenty of umpires that loved being umpires.

He's taking the knife out of the Cheese!
Do you think he wants some cheese?

joe west?

🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴

Trenton, New Jersey

He's taking the knife out of the Cheese!
Do you think he wants some cheese?

not hoboken?!

We're not soldiers and he's not the enemy. He's a pizza man.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Did the players have a manager and coaches?

Did the players have a manager and coaches?
Not that I could see; Shoeless Joe sure seemed to be taking charge as a sort of player/manager on one side though (never did in real life).

As to the umpires, there are a handful from Joe's era that are pretty well known to more history-minded baseball fans: "Brick" Owens, Hank O'Day, Bill Klem to name a few (though the last 2 were National League umps and wouldn't have had a lot of interaction with the Black Sox outside of the Sox's 2 trips to the World Series).

It's a good question. If I get to heaven and want to see my favorite band Rush play live. Isn't it really up to them if they want to spend the afterlife playing day after day?