Field of Dreams : who was 'the voice'?

who was 'the voice'?

ray? rudy giuliani? joe biden? does anyone know?

Golf clap? Golf clap.

Re: who was 'the voice'?

Ray.Its inferred at least by me. The line where Ray says "It was you" to Shoeless Joe (Ray thinking the voice was Joe) Then Joe answers "No Ray, it was YOU". Joe was telling Ray he was the voice. Kind of like his conscience.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.

i think you're right.

Golf clap? Golf clap.

He is right. Would have been great if 'the voice' was his father ;-)

Agreed; it seems to be his conscience.

Losers always whine about doing their best; winners go home and "eff" the prom queen

Then Joe answers "No Ray it was YOU". Joe was telling Ray he was the voice.

The voice is unmistakably Ray Liotta. I always though that when Joe said; "No Ray it was YOU". He was saying that it was because of Ray that the 'magic' happened.

You can't palm off a second-rater on me. You gotta remember I was in the pink!

Not sure, but I believe it's W.P. Kinsella, the author of "Shoeless Joe."

thx! very interesting.

Golf clap? Golf clap.

The Trivia section says that Premiere said it was actually Ray Liotta. In the context of the movie, it was something supernatural (or possibly Ray's schizophrenia manifesting itself).

and the plot thickens!

Golf clap? Golf clap.

The voice is Ray...it always was Ray.

Sola Scriptura/Sola Gratia/Sola Fide/Solus Christus

Wow, folks sure are dumb. From the context of the story, of course the voice was Rays. This wasnt implied, it was stated. I belive the question really is , who is the actor who provided the voice? Its listed in the credits as himself. I always assumed it was the Robinson, but just a guess.

If it was Ray, then how did Terrence Mann also hear the "Go the distance" part?

Roger Angell thought it was supposed to be God.

Don't forget your tsvets!

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Chuck Norris.

~~~~~~Do or do not. There is no try.~~~~~~

Oh, and remember, next Friday is Hawaiian shirt day.

Yeah, I'm not really satisfied with the "No Ray, it was you". explanation. It doesn't explain how Terrence Mann heard the voice, or how Ray knew that ghosts would like to come play baseball in his field, or that people would flock to his field to help pay off the farm.

There has to be a more supernatural force whispering to him on some level. I like the poster who said it was his conscience. That seems to fit best with it being stated "it was you" in the movie, while still allowing for some higher power to be guiding him.

good point about mann. and now...i'm befuddled.

"It's for the pain. Rarely touch the stuff...Can I have another?"

It doesn't explain how Terrence Mann heard the voice

Ray has a very loud conscience. I agree that it has to be a more supernatural force.

Ray has supernatural powers? ;)

According to Wayne's World it appears to be Jim Morrison!

"If many people have an imaginary friend it's religion"

logical.

We're not soldiers and he's not the enemy. He's a pizza man.

Post deleted

The way I took it was that it was Shoeless Joe's voice in the field and when he says to Ray "it was you" it was meant that Ray actually was the one who built the field and made it all happen. I think the smile on Shoeless Joe's face when he says to Ray "if you build it HE will come" and motions to Ray's father implies that he was the one who actually spoke to Ray in the field.

Mr. Grady, you were the caretaker here.

If you listen to the dialog directly before Joe says "no Ray, it was you" we hear Ray say "ease his pain" when talking about his dad. At that moment Ray thinks it was his dads pain that needed to be eased. In my opinion Joe saying "no Ray, it was you" means that it was really Ray's pain that needed to be eased. He'd felt years of guilt for not making peace with his dad.

He's taking the knife out of the Cheese!
Do you think he wants some cheese?

If you listen to the dialog directly before Joe says "no Ray, it was you" we hear Ray say "ease his pain" when talking about his dad. At that moment Ray thinks it was his dads pain that needed to be eased. In my opinion Joe saying "no Ray, it was you" means that it was really Ray's pain that needed to be eased. He'd felt years of guilt for not making peace with his dad.

Bingo. It was Ray's pain that needed to be eased. He could only realize that at the end of the movie when it's revealed that the whole plot was building up to his father appearing so they could mend their relationship.

cool.

His name...was Julio Iglesias!

maybe it was donald trump?

🎄Season's Greetings!🎄

The person who recorded the "Voice" was Ray Liotta... it takes a couple of listens, but even in a whisper, you can make out the Liotta tone.

you're saying it would take a liotta listens?

“Can't go wrong with taupe."- Wynn Duffy

Hahaha

Double Hawk! "I'm awkward"

No way was it Ray Liotta, it was Michael Douglas.

Post deleted

gordon gekko??

The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity.

When I went to the meomable quotoes for this movie, so the voice and If you built it he will come line, clicked the voice this person's page http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0307600/?ref_=tt_trv_qu came out, not sure if it true through.

interesting...

Key to winning baseball games? Pitching, fundamentals, and three run homers.-Earl Weaver

Yeah, I guess Lee Garlington provides the actual voice. She also plays the angry book-banner in the film and is a friend of Phil Alsen Robinson.

and the plot thickens!

🎄Season's Greetings!🎁🎅🎄

sounds like Michael douglas

gordon gekko???!

🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃

The way I took it:

(1) If you build it, he will come: Ray doesn't initially know who "he" is, but after shoeless joe appears, he assumes it was Joe. At the end, Ray realizes that it was his father

(2) "Ease his pain,": Ray assumes initially that it was Terrance Mann, which makes sense because he discovers that Terrance actually had a love for the game, and he becomes part of the plot. I believe this quote, in the end, applies to Ray, Dr. Graham, John Kinsella, Terrance Mann, really just about every player participating in the "game." However, the main focus is again on Ray. He believes that everyone else's pain needs to be eased, when in fact a lot of forces come together to ease Ray's.

(3) "It was you. No Ray, it was you.": Ray is feeling somewhat perplexed at the end, he's sacrificed his financial well being, endangered various relationships, and allowed himself to be classified as a loon. But Joe is telling him, no, this really was about you, here's your requiem, go see your father. And at the end, we learn that everything will be fine because of all the cars lining up, presumably with paying guests.

some good insights. i agree.

🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴

Very interesting, this movie is just brilliant, on the other point I always thought the voice was actually Ray Liotta but I read somewhere it was Ed Harris and now that I listen closely it does sound like him.

i went to the premiere of the movie with it's director phil robinson as we were went to high school together and are friends. "the voice" is his.

You are lucky to know someone that created something so magical, I first saw this movie back in the late 1980's and I was blown away by it, rewound the tape and watched it again and it's been my favourite movie ever since, I watch it all the time. Next time you see Robinson please give him my heartfelt thanks for creating such a masterpiece, it's brought me a lot of joy over the years.

Thanks for resolving this, oshea. I always thought it would be some legendary but unbilled actor; to me, it sounds like Jack Lemmon.

or walter matthau.

🌴"I'm not making art, I'm making sushi." Masaharu Morimoto🌴

was there free popcorn?

The food I've liked in my time is American country cookin'-Colonel Sanders 🇺🇸