Field of Dreams : One of the most Overrated Movies of All Time?

Re: One of the most Overrated Movies of All Time?

Field of Dreams easily makes my top ten best movies of all time list. I watch it at least once a year and the only scenes that don't hold up are the ones that never really worked in the first place. ( how could you plow under your major crop? What's a crop?" We live in Milwaukee so Iowa isn't far away, and we have visited the farm where the movie was filmed a few times. When my son was about six he LOVED going there, but was pretty hesitant about getting too close to the rows of corn in the outfield! It was a family event to watch the movie together, right up till when my husband died. I'll always love this movie and the warm family memories associated with it.

Never try to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

It relies completely on magic to make everything happen. If you take away the possibility of magic, everyone in this movie looks like a crazed cultist. Mann even says that people will show up and fork over cash without thinking. It's the act of doing just that that makes it appear to be 'magic' in the first place.

People crave this sort of cathartic possibility for anything magical to happen. In that sense, the movie is quite good. If you take it for granted that magic happens and miracles occur, then this is a super fun and relaxing movie that feels good. If you can see the instances where people have shared dreams and visions, you can see where the magic is inserted. People do not have shared visions in the real world. This makes it all seem silly. In the sense of seriousness, it is pulp. In the sense of feel good magical realms, it does its job admirably.

This movie is magical, any movie that makes grown men admit they cried when they watched it and has thousands of people travel to the middle of nowhere to visit an old movie set for decades after the movie ended is something magical.I can't think of any other movie that can do it.

The Dark Knight and Social Network are way more overrated

I agree. Contrived sentiment, biased politics, lame 1960s nostalgia, Costner's unrealistic view of his father. I hadn't seen it since it came out, and tried to watch it again this evening. It was great up to the point where Joe Jackson returns but after that it became all of the things I mentioned above.

How ironic this topic is just like the movie itself, some people can see the magic of it and some can't. I guess you're either a Ray or you're a Mark.