Field of Dreams : Biggest error in movie history as far as im concerned. ruined the movie

Biggest error in movie history as far as im concerned. ruined the movie

shoeless joe batted left handed

dumbass movie makers had him batting right handed in the movie...

DO SOME RESEARCH BEFORE YOU MAKE A MULTI MILLION DOLLAR BOX OFFICE MOVIE

Re: Biggest error in movie history as far as im concerned. ruined the movie

maybe because Ray Liotta is right handed, and they wanted him to portray the character?

Don't look into the Death Star, or you will die.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: Biggest error in movie history as far as im concerned. ruined the mo

Yet another reason why Ray Liotta was a horrible Shoeless Joe! Not to mention creepy.

You sum up two of the biggest reasons they cast Ray Liotta. Rather than have some unathletic goof play Shoeless Joe who happened to bat left handed (see John Goodman as Babe Ruth) they decided to go with someone athletic who happened to bat right handed, fully cognizant of the fact it wasn't historically accurate. And they wanted the character of Shoeless Joe to be mysterious and a little creepy, adding to the unknown that Ray was venturing into while following the voice. Joe's creepiness added to the dramatic tension of whether Ray and his family would survive in tact and stay on the farm. Joe's motivations where supposed to be a mystery as to whether they were good intentions or bad.

Both of these points are discussed in this way in the 'Making Of' feature on the DVD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qL-CgzQ0FY&feature=related

Rather than have some unathletic goof play Shoeless Joe who happened to bat left handed (see John Goodman as Babe Ruth) they decided to go with someone athletic who happened to bat right handed, fully cognizant of the fact it wasn't historically accurate

Ray Liotta was no athlete, and never played baseball in his life prior to taking on the role in the film.

- (per numerous interviews of him, and the director's commentary on an earlier DVD release. Perhaps it wasn't mentioned on the Special Edition commentary)

Nevertheless, I think the better point, mentioned in a prior post, is that the film is a fantasy movie. Most of the events depicted in the movie never happened.

Just because he never played baseball prior to filming FOD, the doesn't mean he's not an athlete.

My only problem with Shoeless Joe in FOD is that in real life, he was reported to be illiterate and not well-learned. Liotta's portrayal seems inconsistent with that.

Losers always whine about doing their best; winners go home and "eff" the prom queen

Post deleted

Really. Amen. Movies take enormous license, all the time, with real-life figures. It HARDLY changes the fact that this is a brilliant film, truly original, unlike anything Hollywood turned out before or certainly since.

Post deleted

Here here!!! Well said!!

You are correct...he did bat lefty. Taht has nothing to do with anything. The heart of this wonderful movie is simple......." Hey Dad, do you want to have a catch." If you let anything sway you from that...then you must of had the pleasure of tossing the ball around with your father. If you did...then you can worry about meaningless details.

The fact that they based Liotta's character on an actual person is a little irrelevant to the whole message of the film. Since most people had no idea who Shoeless Joe was, they could have used a fictional "Shoeless Joe-type" character and the movie would still have the same impact...so the fact that Shoeless Joe was a left bat made no difference at all.

Similarly, the original novel on which this film was based used J.D. Salinger instead of the fictional "Terrance Mann". Same thing. The actual character doesn't matter to the film's plot.

"shoeless joe batted left handed

dumbass movie makers had him batting right handed in the movie...

DO SOME RESEARCH BEFORE YOU MAKE A MULTI MILLION DOLLAR BOX OFFICE MOVIE"

So it bothers you that they made a factual error in having Joe Jackson batting right-handed, but it doesn't bother you that a bunch of people who died years before were walking out of cornfields and playing baseball? Gotcha. Glad you thought that one through.

It also doesn't bother him that they completely changed the dates of Moonlight Graham's envolvement in the film. (this doesn't bother me either, just to be clear)

the Game Graham never got to bat in was played in 1905, not 1922, and he died in 1965, not '72,

also, Chisholm scenes were filmed in downtown Galena Illinois, which is at least 70 years older than Chisholm, so it isn't an accurate representation of the town.

Don't look into the Death Star, or you will die.

If this ruined the movie you don't have much a life. Look at the movie as a whole. If you break it down to individual parts you lose perspective. Just saw this on cable this morning and I still love it.

As Phil Alden Robinson once said when someone pointed this out to him, there's an even bigger error that not one person seems to have noticed -- namely, that Shoeless Joe Jackson is dead and the movie shows him alive.

It's a fantasy, folks.

Besides, the real Joe Jackson was an illiterate, uneducated cracker, not the intelligent, philosophical character portrayed in this movie. In fact, the way D.B. Sweeney plays him in "Eight Men Out" is much more historically accurate.

The thing is, it would have been very easy to have fixed this problem. Pride of the Yankees had a very simple solution when they cast a right handed Gary Cooper playing a lefty Lou Gehrig. They had him wear a jersey with a backwards 4, he batted righty and ran to third base. Then they turned the film around. Problem solved. Amazing that they didn't figure it out for this film, especially as it would have been a nice little film-tech nod to baseball history.

Also, yeah, I didn't love that Liotta didn't sound remotely southern.

^
^^as I said before, it's not a big deal for the film to be historically accurate. The film is a fantasy. Liotta's character could have been a switch hitter named "Joe Schmo" and it would not have made any difference to the overall plot and message of the film.

This was NOT a movie about baseball (baseball is simply the "setting"), so who cares if the historical baseball facts are correct.

That would be like seeing a scene in a movie that's suppose to be taking place in, say, some suburban San Diego neighborhood, but you recognize the suburban street as one that is actually in Los Angeles. Would you say "Hey, that street is in Los Angeles, not San Diego -- the movie is now ruined"

Yes indeed, and also used in the movie 61* where Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris were chasing Babe Ruth's home run record in 1961.

Right-handed Anthony Michael Hall portrays left-handed pitcher Whitey Ford. All scenes with Hall pitching were shot with the actor wearing reverse insignia and numbers, then the film was flipped so as to appear as if he pitched left-handed.

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?

When the movie came out in 1989 the critics made note of that as well.

no, the biggest error in movie history is...

...the names of The Crickets in "The Buddy Holly Story"

I did sixty in five minutes once...

Post deleted

I like that riskymaguire! Maybe Shoeless Joe's dream was to hit right handed in the majors but they never let him so he did it as a ghost.

He's taking the knife out of the Cheese!
Do you think he wants some cheese?

Since I dunno a iota about baseball I didn't know about this. It is certainly a HUGE error.
It's like shooting a movie about Maradona (a very famous footballer for non-football --soccer-- fans) and then to see some actor portraying him kicking the ball with his right leg when Maradona actually was famous because he used almost exclusively his left leg to kick the ball.

BIG mistake.

I appreciate the Maradona analogy but here is my argument. Shoeless Joe Jackson was far less well known even to big baseball fans as someone like Babe Ruth or Ty Cobb. The only thing most baseball fans knew about Jackson was that he was one of the players banned for throwing the world series. Most people didn't know what he looked like nevermind that he was a lefty hitter. Now if they made a Babe Ruth film with Ruth hitting right-handed then that would be a very obvious goof!

JR541 said: "Shoeless Joe Jackson was far less well known even to big baseball fans as someone like Babe Ruth or Ty Cobb."

This is patently untrue. If you are a "big baseball fan" -- your words, not mine -- then you know full well that Joe Jackson was one of the finest left-handed batters in the history of the game.

Now if you had said "average baseball fan", then I would agree.

Post deleted

Post deleted

It's real life ghosts don't come back and play baseball on peoples corn fields. Letting a black man on the field is a lot more believable

Do we know for a fact that Shoeless Joe was a racist? I know he was a southerner but that doesn't necessarily mean he wouldn't be cordial to a black man. It could also be that the afterlife changed him.

Post deleted

Sorry. I replied to the wrong post.

Yes! I found this annoying as hell -- one of those little things where you want to sink in and believe what's going on and then they pull a thing like that. But it was a relatively minor thing and not the biggest howler in the picture.

I'm all right, I'm alllll right!

Yeah that sucks and it wouldn't be that hard to fix it. All they would have to do is reverse the logos on Ray's uniform and then in editing flip the image. It would look like he was batting left handed when in actuality he was batting right handed.

"Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives."-Ronald Reagan

True, Joe Jackson was a lefty, and they should have reversed the film, but at least Ray Liotta could swing the bat fairly well and not look like a klutz doing it.

The OP is a horrible baseball fanboy. That's all there is to it.

Why should the majority of the movie-going public care (as you) about a tiny detail in the history of a game that was only the setting of the movie.

Phil Alden Robinson states this is not a baseball movie. If you still hold petty technical judgment against his directorial choices after hearing that, you'd be advised not to watch Phil Alden Robinson pictures, period. Easy fix for the world, as opposed to changing every little thing for your stubborn tastes.

Here is my personal viewpoint. If the baseball technical advisor on the picture could forgive him for overriding true reality of Shoeless Joe, you could too. That guy's career is instilling actors with the essence and skills of baseball, for a living. You are just some random fan all touchy for no reason but because you succumb to hating movies over tiny factoids that offend you.

Shoeless Joe Jackson was in this movie? They MADE him bat right-handed? I thought he died in 1951. Did they clone him? Ahh, that must be what has you confused. It was his clone that was right-handed. His clone would have been 38 at the time of this release. Oh well, I guess if the original Joe Jackson would sell out his own teammates for a little extra cash back in 1919, his clone might do it again in 1989. Read the trivia portions... you'd find all this out.

Really...THAT RUINED THE MOVIE FOR YOU????????? How bout the fact that Ray didn't resemble shoeloss Joe......did that also ruin it for you??....I guess all movies are ruined for you; shesh!

Post deleted

Anthony Michael Hall throws right handed, yet in *61 he plays Whitey Ford..who was a lefty.

Film makers filmed him throwing right handed and used a mirror image for the film. Field of Dreams should have done this too..but even without it, it's ok. This movie wasn't about baseball.

~~~~~~Do or do not. There is no try.~~~~~~

What about the overwhelming evidence that he
DID throw the Black Sox series and that there is 
no evidence he ever repented? That bugged me.

Every fcking one of the sh!tpots threw the series. And he never repented, they were just sorry they got caught.

Time Jesum transeumtum et non riverentum

Big deal. It's just f^cking baseball.

Why not concern yourself with the sh^t that really matters, like our goddamned politicians sh^tting on the Constitution and the American people in ways Joe Jackson could never even imagine.

"Atlas Shrugged- Part 2"- Coming in 2012! --The saga continues!

THAT ruined the movie for you?? That is a pretty lame reason for not liking the movie!!

I don't see how anything could possibly be more dumbass than thinking that a fictional film--and one that's quite fantastical at that--that changes some fact about an actual world character to fit the actor portraying him could be a "big error" that ruins a film.

http://www.rateyourmusic.com/~JrnlofEddieDeezenStudies

Yeah, I hate when documentaries gets their facts wrong. Oh wait...this wasn't a documentary.

Conform or be cast out

Wasn't "Shoeless" Joe Jackson an illiterate with a thick Southern accent?

Now you know how I feel every time I watch a hockey movie.

Being fat, slow, uncoordinated, and flopping is NOT a prerequisite for playing goalie!!!

Get yer sh-t together, Hollywood!