International Cinema : Oh Canada...any suggestions for Canadian films??

Oh Canada...any suggestions for Canadian films??

In what was a disappointing year for movies in 2012, most of the films I enjoyed were from Canada.Loved Starbuck,Cafe de flore and Monsieur Lazhar last year so started catching up some movies from there,recently watched Polytechnique,Incendies and C.R.A.Z.Y which also were outstanding, so was wondering if anybody has any suggestions for others??? Would be amazing if someone could come up with a movie set in Nova Scotia as I loved visiting the place a few years back.

Re: Oh Canada...any suggestions for Canadian films??

Have you seen Barney's Version? it was nominated for a best make-up oscar and it gace Paul Giamatti a golden globe for comedy actor.

Also Jésus de Montréal a well regarded canadian film from 1989.

The Decline of the American Empire and The Barbarian Invasions are two well liked films about some intelectuals, they are all about dialogue so if you don't like that movies skip them but otherwise look for them, the first was an oscar nominee and the second an oscar winner.

I want the daily poll back.

Thank you for response,have to say have not seen any of your suggestions and will be certainly checking out the first two recommendations. Don't suppose you have any suggestions for movies from or set in Nova Scotia?? Kind regards.

Sorry, here in Mexico I don't get to see many canadian films and those are the ones I knew that I can recommend. I can't tell you about anything made in Nova Scotia.

A few suggestions;(sorry nothing from NOVA SCOTIA)
1)"Jesus of Montreal"
2)"Leolo"
3)"Goin' Down the Road"
4)"Sweet Hereafter"
5)"Strangers in Good Company"
6)"Barbarian Invasions"

"Let the fools have their TARTAR SAUCE!!"

Thank you for your response,of the six mentioned,have seen 'Leolo' excellent film with some very funny scenes,and also 'Sweet Hereafter' well acted film, the others I will be trying to track down.Still awaiting a film from NS..there must be one made out there,considering its beautiful scenery.

I am not recommending it because I haven't seen it, but I looked for canadian films set in Nova Scotia for you and found New Waterford Girl (1999) so there you have an option.

Thank you pencho15 for your recommendation..or should I say, mucho gracias amigo.

I second 'Barbarian Invasions'.

One of the best films of the past 15 years IMO.

My absolute no. 1 favourite from Canada is

"Mon Oncle Antoine" by Claude Jutra (1971)

"I've Heard the Mermaid Singing" by Patricia Rozema (1987)
No previous Canadian movie became to well-known and appreciate over half or whole the world, as this one. Apart from C.R.A.Z.Y., maybe neither any later Canadian movie

"When Night is Falling" by Patricia Rozema.

If I may share with you the editing I made of every movie made in Quebec;

2012:
http://youtu.be/HVjEZfahElk

2011:
http://youtu.be/yfoxX3bSTXY

The only ones that come to mind right now are Strange Brew and Canadian Bacon. Old comedies. If I think of more I'll let you know.

"today i swear i'm not doing anything"

Thank you, may check those titles out, in need of a decent comedy. You Canadians are a class act.

Away From Her
Take This Waltz
Pontypool
The Tracey Fragments
Love That Boy
Parsley Days
Cairo Time
Sabah
Exotica
Dead Ringers
Antiviral

Anne of Green Gables (1985)

Anne of Green Gables: the sequel (1987)

~~
Jim Hutton: talented gorgeous hot hunk; adorable as ElleryQueen; SEXIEST ACTOR EVER

Here is an off-beat suggestion. Back in 1949 a short film meant for schools was sponsored by the National Film Board of Canada, called The Loon's Necklace.

I saw it in first grade, about 1961, and I ALWAYS hoped they would show it again, but it never happened. I never forgot it though.

Come the internet and I was finally able to discover it's name, but found that it was only available in a very few libraries, in VHS or 16mm film. It's never been released on DVD, and VHS copies are extremely rare, probably sold only to schools and libraries.

Even later, I discovered it posted on YouTube and after 50 years I finally saw it again and wasn't disappointed in the least. And judging from the comments both here and on YouTube, that's exactly the same experience of many other people.

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0250512/combined

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfUmSFVncPk

What's on YouTube is rough, having been copied from an old VHS, but it's still very watchable.

My surrogate sick pig: "What I tell you three times is true!"

In case nobody has mentioned it--Margaret's Museum is set in Nova Scotia. It's a very atmospheric drama with Helena Bonham Carter and Kate Nelligan. There is some Gaelic spoken; there are still some people living there whose roots go back to highland Scotland.

The Shipping News is set in coastal Newfoundland: Gordon Pinsent, one of the supporting players, is a Newfoundlander.

Claude Jutra's films are still very watchable: A tout prendre, Mon oncle Antoine, Kamouraska.

Atom Egoyan's films are mainly set in Toronto and environs, but there is the beautiful The Sweet Hereafter set in BC.

'The Adjuster'.

Here are some Canadian movies that came out in the past few years that I enjoy:

Sex After Kids
How To Plan An Orgy In A Small Town
Looking Is the Original Sin
Patch Town
Old Stock
People Hold ON
Fire Song
Backcountry
A Christmas Horror Story
The Dirties

My favourite film in some time is "Incendies" (2010) by French Canadian film maker Denis Villeneuve.

Incendies - Denis Villeneuve, 2010
My Internship in Canada - Philippe Falardeau, 2015
Liverpool - Manon Briand, 2012 (yes, it is from Canada, not the U.K.)
Our Loved Ones - Anne Émond, 2015
Black Robe - Bruce Beresford, 1991
Score - Michael McGowan, 2010
Monsieur Lazhar and Starbuck (great films, as you mention above)

- Matt J. "There ain't no right or wrong, there just is." (Ride With the Devil)