Asian Cinema : Official YouTube Video Thread - Asian Entertainment Themed

Re: Official YouTube Video Thread - Asian Entertainment Themed

Yes, Mono does most of the music. But I have all of their albums, listen to them a lot and don't recognize the particular passage. It doesn't sound like Mono to me either. I just re-watched TAG for the third time 😃, and the only other music credit besides Mono and Glim Spanky is something from "The Extreme Music Library Limited" which makes me think it's just canned soundtrack stuff open for use. 😭

It appears to be by Kanai Hiroaki

Someone on letterboxD found this for me: http://mora.jp/package/43000074/TCJPR0000213907/. It appears to be by Kanai Hiroaki.

These girls are playing at the south pacific Tiki beach bar in my dreams...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYGODWJgR-c

Headshot trailer. Generic plot, but you know it's gonna rock!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe0nQ0TeZjU

YouTube Asian Movie Review Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/anticlimacus100

Cyborg Kaori - "the human beat boxer"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPju2vaGucY

These are worth watching for the crowd reactions alone :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSqcWvwIVuI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZQSix26nnE

ROTFL thanks for this. Bookmarked this for next time I'm having a bad day and need to cheer up.

Japanese commercials

The 36 hottest chicks currently appearing in Japanese TV commercials, with a special treat for those of you still carrying the torch for Midori (sigh).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjtYggbfFeE

Re: Japanese commercials

Who's Midori? I had a hard time getting through it, had to take a few breaks because I'm allergic to commercials, but I finished it, so that's thumbs up!

I loved the twins/mirrored girl at https://youtu.be/VjtYggbfFeE?t=397 with the guy on the stairs. Not for the beauty girl, but for the modern dance of it.

Midori, as in Kiko Mizuhara from Norwegian Wood. She was in the make-up ad at 7:08 dancing around, being all adorable and stuff. Obviously, you're over her.

Ditto the twins commercial. Love that one.

Oh! She was the only thing I liked about Norwegian Wood besides our man Ping Bing's work. I don't know any of her other stuff.

Hm, yeah, looks like she does some TV. Seems like the kind of girl that doesn't have to work too hard -- probably spends her days poolside being petted by some Adonis while the servants fan her with palm leaves. I quite liked NW and she carried the whole show.

Hey, you haven't done a recently seen in a while, have you?

I posted my view of The Handmaiden just before your post today.

I've been soaking up Volleyball, trying to figure it out. It's more convoluted than College Basketball. I'm thoroughly smitten with the Japanese Team, and to a lessor degree the Chinese. The Japanese team is like last years Golden State Warriors. They play differently than all the other teams. It's fast and smart and looks cooler.

It's a difficult sport to enjoy. Hard to find good streams on YouTube, let alone with English commentary. The only Rio Replays I can find are from CCTV in China, mandarin soundtrack.

I've been soaking up Volleyball, trying to figure it out. It's more convoluted than College Basketball. I'm thoroughly smitten with the Japanese Team

Here's a photo that I took in Rio during the Japan vs USA women's quarter-final match.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o211/mafepero/DSC_2742a.jpg

It was a very lucky shot, the Japanese player seems to be floating in the air.

It's a difficult sport to enjoy. Hard to find good streams on YouTube, let alone with English commentary. The only Rio Replays I can find are from CCTV in China, mandarin soundtrack.

I find it a great sport to watch - indoors more than the beach variation. It's a shame that it is not more popular and that is never on TV except once every four years. Although I remember reading that the World League was going to be broadcast live on YouTube, so keep an eye out for that. That is a men's competition; there is an equivalent one for women (the Grand Prix I think it is called) but I am not sure if it will also be available online.

I am curious as to what you think is convoluted about Volleyball...

Don't give me songs
Give me something to sing about

Nagaoka! One of my favorites. She's the closest Japan has to a monster...at like 5'9" or 5'10".

Volleyball is brand new to me, and I'm a little slow, but the convolution is with regards to the tournaments, which ones count for something and who plays in them (teams and players).

I would like to know, for example, where I can see (watch) that particular group of women who played as the Japanese National Team in the Olympics. I think it's a bit like the USA Basketball Team, for example, that assembles every four years. But not completely because a/the Japanese National Team (JNT) has to play in tournaments to qualify for the Olympics. The JNT plays in the Annual World Grand Prix but winning it only counts if it's the one right before the Olympics, and it may or may not be the same players who might go to the Olympics as the JNT. And there's the ranking system, but I don't know if/how or why it matters. The Olympic Qualifying Tournaments, which get co-mingled and merged with Some Continental Asian Tournament that may, if the JNT wins or qualifies, include players who won't play in the Olympics.

There's a FIVB Volleyball Women's World Championship and a FIVB Volleyball Women's World Grand Champions Cup and a FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup. Gimme a Break!

And then there's "Club" teams. I sort of get that there is some National League that these players play in that has it's own tournaments and Titles and corporate sponsorships. And I think Japan, as a nation, stick to that, but Zhu Ting from China, for example, is playing on some Turkish team with USA players and others right now.

Maybe not convoluted, but complex and weird.

I see what you mean. I thought you meant the sport itself. I will attempt to shed some light as well as I can.

Volleyball is brand new to me, and I'm a little slow, but the convolution is with regards to the tournaments, which ones count for something and who plays in them (teams and players).

They all count, only some count more than others. The Olympic games are the most prestigious. The World Cup probably comes below that, and then the World Championship. The Grand Prix, being an annual event, is of less importance than the others, but it still gives you bragging rights and prize money.

As for who plays in the national teams in each event, it is up to the coaches. The national team coach can call up any player he/she wishes. The player may or may not accept the invitation. Obviously for the Olympic Games no one is going to pass on the chance, but for a Grand Prix, if a player is tired from a long club season, she might decline. Also, for the lesser tournaments the coach might give a chance to a few different players to see how well they perform, and leave at home others with whom he is already familiar. In the year leading up to the Olympics, the coach will have a very good idea of who he/she wants in the team and will concentrate on those players.

The Olympic Qualifying Tournaments, which get co-mingled and merged with Some Continental Asian Tournament that may, if the JNT wins or qualifies, include players who won't play in the Olympics.

In principle for the Olympic qualifiers the coach will call the best available players at the time, to increase the chance of getting a place in the Olympic games. Unless someone gets injured or retires, the core team should be the same. Of course there is always the chance that someone new will have a great season in the time between the qualification and the games and will earn a spot on the team at the expense of someone else who may have experienced a drop in performance.

And then there's "Club" teams. I sort of get that there is some National League that these players play in that has it's own tournaments and Titles and corporate sponsorships. And I think Japan, as a nation, stick to that, but Zhu Ting from China, for example, is playing on some Turkish team with USA players and others right now.

That's like the soccer leagues in Europe. Each country has their own professional league, and the clubs are free to offer a contract to any player anywhere in the world who is not already under contract. Some countries have restrictions on the number of foreign players that each team can have, in order to foster the development of home-grown talent. So if the manager of a Brazilian club is impressed with a Japanese player, he can offer her a contract (for one year, or two years, or who knows). If she thinks the money is worth the trouble of moving to the other side of the world, she will accept. As a Japanese citizen, she will still be eligible to play in the JNT if she is called up. Of course she will be out of sight of the JNT coach, so her chances will decrease.

I think that the many club leagues around the world do not operate year-round, so as not to conflict with the various international tournaments, but I am not sure about that.

Don't give me songs

Re: Volleyball

I'm still working on this. lol. I understand now that the "National Team" is a fluid concept. I don't like it but I can live with it.

Thanks for a little hierarchy of tournaments. It tells me what to search for on YouTube. And now I think I get the difference between the big ones and the "Clubs"--I guess that's what they call the teams like that Turkish one with Zhu Ting, and I think that the 'regular season' of Club Play is going on now. But that's weird, too, because they just had the FIVB Volleyball Women's Club World Championship last week.

Just as I confine myself to the Asian Cinema board here, I'm only interested in the Japanese and Chinese Women's Volleyball teams. Serbia is kind of fun, tho. I like that 19 year old smasher. Not a lot of English language media out there. I'll struggle along.

And now I think I get the difference between the big ones and the "Clubs"--I guess that's what they call the teams like that Turkish one with Zhu Ting

Club and country are two separate spheres. This concept is familiar to any soccer fan but not necessarily so much to fans of baseball, basketball or American football. The club level is different from country to country. Brazil, Italy, Spain and Turkey (and probably many others as well) have professional leagues, much like the WNBA. As I said in my earlier post, the teams in the league are free to hire any player anywhere in the world (unless the league has a restriction on the number of foreign players per team). That is why you have a Chinese player plying her trade in Turkey. Other countries may have a semi-professional or even an amateur league only, where the players do not play full time – you won’t see any foreign stars playing there!

I understand now that the "National Team" is a fluid concept. I don't like it but I can live with it.

Yes, in a way. The Japanese NT coach has at his/her disposal every single player of Japanese nationality, no matter where they might play their club volleyball – in Japan, in Turkey, or in an American university. There are no contracts at the country level, so a player can be called for training camp and then dropped if her performance is not good enough. If they are selected to play in the Grand Prix one year, there is no guarantee that they will still be on the team the following year. I am not sure how they get paid; it probably varies from country to country.

and I think that the 'regular season' of Club Play is going on now. But that's weird, too, because they just had the FIVB Volleyball Women's Club World Championship last week.

I wasn’t aware of this tournament, but it doesn’t surprise me that it exists, as it is common in other sports. It is the equivalent of the Chicago Cubs play in a championship against the champions of Cuba, of the Dominican Republic, of Venezuela, of Japan and of South Korea. In baseball it doesn’t make much sense because MLB is so much superior to all other professional baseball leagues, but in volleyball (and in soccer) there isn’t the same disparity.

Don't give me songs

It appears I have the equivalent of "Math Block" when it comes to International Volleyball. I appreciate your replies. I'm getting closer, but you've thrown me for a loop with the Club/Country distinction.

If I might try a recap:

There are the Four big Tournaments you mentioned. They are staffed by nationals only and are fluid from Tournament to Tournament. (I went back and watched some Olympic Qualifying Tournament Videos. It's not one of the Big Four you mentioned but it counts. I noticed a couple players on the Japanese team that I liked but they didn't make it to the actual Olympic Team. So far so Good, I think, except it saddened me).

Below the big four, I get confused. Where do the Asian Games fit into this? It's like a regional Olympics that the National Team plays in?

Here's where I get lost again: a team like Hisamitsu Springs seems to be a part of Japan's Country League, but they also played in that FIVB Volleyball Women's Club World Championship last week. So they seem to be both Club and Country. I think I read somewhere they are limited to 1 or 2 "foreigners. Maybe that's just Japan.

And that Turkish teak Zhu Ting plays for ... is that also both Club and Country?

Below the big four, I get confused. Where do the Asian Games fit into this? It's like a regional Olympics that the National Team plays in?

Those four competitions are worldwide, with participants from every continent. In addition to them, there are also continent-wide tournaments for the national teams. For Asia, there is an Asian Volleyball Championship held every two years (I had to look this up).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_Women%27s_Volleyball_Championship

There is also a volleyball tournament in the Asian Games, which is like the Olympics in that it consists of a wide variety of sports, from Athletics and Swimming to Judo, Basketball and Volleyball. The difference from the Olympics is that only Asian countries participate, of course.

Here's where I get lost again: a team like Hisamitsu Springs seems to be a part of Japan's Country League, but they also played in that FIVB Volleyball Women's Club World Championship last week. So they seem to be both Club and Country.

No. There are no competitions involving clubs and national teams. Clubs play against other clubs and national teams play against other national teams. But clubs from Japan's league do get a chance to play against clubs from the Korean, the Chinese and the Thai leagues. It works like this: let's say that the Japanese league has twelve clubs. Hisamitsu Springs wins the league. This gives them the right to play in the Asian Club Championship, against the champions of the Chinese, Korean, Thai, Indonesian and Iranian leagues (that is just an example; I don't know which countries are actually involved). Now if they win that championship, they then earn the right to take part in the FIVB Volleyball Women's Club World Championship, against the top teams of Europe, the Americas and Africa

And that Turkish teak Zhu Ting plays for ... is that also both Club and Country?

Same thing for them. They play in the Turkish League against other Turkish teams (who may have players from all over the world in their squad) and if they win, they get a spot in the European Club Championship against the best teams of Italy, Spain, France, Germany, Poland, Russia, etc.. Win that, and they get a spot in the Club World Championship.

One interesting thing about the club/country separation is that you can have players who are teammates at one level and opponents in the other. For example, the Turkish team that employs Zhu Ting may very well have an American in the squad. So they play on the same team in the Turkish League, but during the Grand Prix if China plays against the USA they will be on opposite sides. Conversely, player A from Hisamitsu Springs and player B from Tokyo Giraffes will regularly play against each other in the Japanese league but if they are both called up for the national team, they will be teammates there.

Don't give me songs

This is great. I've read a bunch of the Wikipedia articles but find your responses here more helpful to my thick head in getting a grasp on all this. Still have a way to go in understanding how some of the majors interact together (like, why didn't China play in the Olympic Qualifying Tournament--something they won must have pre-qualified them), and any overlap--seems there was some Asian Tournament that intermingled with the Olympics (I think I mentioned it above but have already forgotten, lol).

I think I have a handle on the Club/Country thing now. Your analogies to American sports I might know has been great. In the end it kind of saddens me, though. I'm much more interested in teams than individual stars. I love Zhu Ting but don't really want to go root for her while playing with americans and being coached by a whiny little bitch dude from the Netherlands. This is also why I like Japan. They play as a team. Sure they have a few that stand out but it's not like Korea where everything is "get the ball to Kim Yeong-keon". I also love the Japanese Zen Master coach.

Thank you for taking the time to bring me up to speed on this sport which seems a little less convoluted to me now.

ps-I wonder why the Rio games aren't available on YouTube. I found them with Chinese commentary in some forum ... but, and maybe you know this guy, I like that sort of drunken perv British guy that called the games on the stream feeds, not the TV broadcasts. He's funny, and is totally down with the Japanese team, and obviously has the hots for Saori Kimora ... "Saori's there! Saori's there!" Hilarious.

There's this playlist of the games but they are all Private:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnbbguaIRymPj1X7mDilkVDeKOIk7RRIi

My goal is to watch everything I can find with the Japanese and Chinese teams from the last couple years that might have the rosters I like and then figure out how to start moving forward. I did find three games I guess they call "The Friendly Games" between China and Japan last April--without commentary and not that good of quality but I loved it! China is going to be a major force for a few years now it seems. Several young, talented, big ass players. I'm not sure what Japan can do to break into the top tier of CHN USA SER BRA and RUS. They play smart and fast but they're just not big enough. My favorite individual player right now might be Boskovic, from Serbia. I love how she looks like a frightened 19 year old but plays like a monster. And I like Leftys--like your photo of Nagaoka.

(like, why didn't China play in the Olympic Qualifying Tournament--something they won must have pre-qualified them)

That would be my guess. I don't know exactly how it works but I know that there are different tournaments where countries have a chance to earn a spot.

Sure they have a few that stand out but it's not like Korea where everything is "get the ball to Kim Yeong-keon".

She is awesome! I also saw Korea in action in Rio (in the quarter-finals match they lost to the Netherlands). Too bad her presence was not enough to beat the Dutch. Here is a photo of her:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o211/mafepero/DSC_2693.jpg

ps-I wonder why the Rio games aren't available on YouTube.

Maybe because the rights to the Olympic Games come at a very high price and the owners don't like giving the images away even after the games are over? I am not sure. The CBC site (the owner of the Canadian rights) has some highlights of the finals and of Canada's games. The IOC site has some videos too, but again only highlights.

I did find three games I guess they call "The Friendly Games" between China and Japan last April

A "friendly" is international sports jargon for what is the equivalent of a preseason game. When preparing for a tournament, teams will organise "friendlies" basically for practice, without anything at stake.

I'm not sure what Japan can do to break into the top tier of CHN USA SER BRA and RUS. They play smart and fast but they're just not big enough.

My understanding is that Japan used to be a major volleyball power decades ago with their lightning speed but then other teams caught up and surpassed them with bigger size and brute force.

Don't give me songs

Kim Yeong-keon is totally awesome, probably the best individual player in the world right now. It is so cool you got to see these players live and in person. I tried clicking around your photobucket site for more volleyball shots to no avail. Do you have more?

I only uploaded a few of my photos from the Rio Olympics. I will see about putting the other volleyball ones in a zip file and uploading it somewhere.

Don't give me songs

Trailer for the new XXX movie with Donnie Yen and Tony Jaa. I'm gonna watch the HELL outta this!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCijCiTcnpo

More Japanese commercials

Just enjoy the last one, at 9:33
https://youtu.be/6G857yRzm5w?t=9m33s

BAND-MAID's new song YOLO. I just got the EP in the mail today!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKZbzcUdY1g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwm8Zskinsg

When I make my first billion, this is what the dinner entertainment for my friends is going to look like every night.

Die Beautiful full trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ0ERN2rZ7g

I cried after watching this.

====================
Remembrance-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFyBF4bunwo

I cried after watching this. - plsletitrain

What induced you to cry?

--- each brain develops its own preferences ---

lol good question elanor. Well, not at all related to the plot of the story. I deserve the broken-record award for saying this but what the heck, I love the lead actor/actress/actoress/whatever. Paolo Ballesteros.

Seeing him in the trailer, with good acting chops to boast of, showcasing his talent in make-up transformation and drama and comedy just gave me that "proud fan" moment. This is his first movie where he bags the lead role and it gave him the Best Actor Award at the Tokyo Film Fest. The movie also won awards from different award-giving film bodies.

Some forecast that this will top the box-office in competition with seven (7) other films in the Annual Metro Manila Film Festival. If I'm not asking too much, can he win the best actor award too? lol. It will elevate him in a semi-higher position as an actor as opposed to his 17 plus years of being a cameo or guest role.

I pray that this movie will top the box office and bag almost all major awards in the Metro Manila Film Fest. When that happens, expect a river of tears (of joy) from me.

====================
Remembrance-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFyBF4bunwo

🙋Thanks for the long explanation.

--- each brain develops its own preferences ---