Asian Cinema : The Official Asian Drama Thread

Re: The Official Asian Drama Thread

It was a bit depressing, but very good. A happy ending, rather than a sad ending. More full on like the dramas from Korea than GMC or Office Girls, but I'd definitely recommend it if you like those sorts of shows. I never did until recently, but now I can't get enough. GMC was the first Asian drama I ever watched (I ran out of anime and it was based on a manga) but they're my favourite shows on Netflix these days.

....I binge watch on my weekends. Office girls only took me since I posted that, last night I started Miss Rose. There are quite a few of the same actors from Office Girls in it.

Worst. Rescue. EVER!

I'm way behind on my Asian television series, so after the October Challenge finishes, I'm going to dive into a bunch of television material for a few months. This will include anime.

YouTube Asian Movie Review Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/anticlimacus100

My first K-drama rewatch is in the books. I still very much enjoy this one.

Killer K (aka Little Girl K) (2011) (Korean Action Television Series) – After accidentally foiling a black market drug deal, a highschool girl must fight off hitmen and take down an underground organization. This series is very different from most K-dramas for two main reasons: (1) it’s only 3 episodes in length (65 minutes each); and (2) it has bloody violence and nudity. The tone is mostly serious and gritty, with a few lighter moments peppered in. Plot is generic, but the fights and shootouts are quite good. The lead actress (Han Groo) is not only scorching hot but also carries the dramatic moments well.

The Village: Achiara’s Secret (2015) (Korean Drama Mystery Television Series) –Achiara is a small and peaceful village with nearly zero crime. A young woman arrives in the village to research her ancestry, but discovers a corpse in a nearby woodland area. She teams up with a police officer to find the truth. But in doing so, the ugliness of the village is revealed. It is a bit difficult keeping track of names and relationships at times, but this is an absorbing murder mystery with more red herrings to shake a stick at. The solution to the mystery is nuanced. Geun-young Moon is good in the lead role. Recommended

This one of the big ones from this past year.

W (2016) (Korean Thriller/Drama/Romance Television Series) – A romance takes place between a man who exists within the webtoon “W,” and a woman (Hyo-joo Han) who is in the real world. The woman’s father is the webtoon artist who makes the protagonist’s life a living hell, creating the murder of his parents by the hands of an unknown killer. But as the comic world comes to life and clashes with the real world, the people of both worlds are confronted with danger. This is an interesting premise that has been done before, but this K-drama (16 episodes, 60 minutes each) carves out its own identity and develops in unpredictable ways. In fact, it’s virtually impossible to predict what’s going to happen from one episode to the next. One reason for this is that it gradually adds layers and develops the “rule system” of this particular comic book world, which offers many intriguing turns of events and some wicked plot twists. Most fortunately, the storyline is presented organically and naturally. This show does make an admirable attempt to sufficiently close as many plotholes that it reasonably can, but it still feels a bit contrived in spots (especially during the final few episodes, which are a bit anticlimactic). Hyo-joo Han expresses a very nice range of emotion in this, giving an energetic performance. This is very entertaining and briskly paced, with a solid theme tune and some comic book imagery. There is also one particularly effective special effect that is used on one character’s face during the middle episodes. Strongly Recommended

Oh My Venus!--My thoughts.

This stars A-listers of Hallyu, Shin Min-Ah and So Ji-Sub. (I was going over the thread and I'm surprised no one mentioned this, or did I miss it).

I thought this will bring back my Kdrama binge but I BAILED OUT HALFWAY OF THE FIFTH EPISODE. (Its a total of 16 episodes).

Disclaimer: The series is actually a cute one. I just have my own issues I still need to sort that's why I can't standing watching dramas like this. lol

What irked me is the overused knight-in-shining-armor played by So Ji-Sub's character. I like Shin Min-ah's role here. She's a lawyer, so she's principled, dignified, and level-headed. So Ji-Sub plays the role of a descendant of a business mogul who's knighted to succeed in the Chairmanship. He is a black belter, which means he's disciplined with his body's health. Their encounters lead to So Ji-sub coaching Shin Min-ah to lose weight and bring back her body right before she got fat.

And here's where my patience was tested: You know one time of them meeting in a very unlikely encounter I can stomach because drama/fiction/love story but putting around 3 or 4 times when the guy "saves" the girl in a place where no one else seems to be around and the guy seems to be in such a perfect timing and cue kinda puts my eyes into roller coaster land.

I finally gave up when the girl was already starting to fall for the guy.

But that's just me. I'm pretty sure anyone who will watch this will like their chemistry. Recommended to anyone except for those who's like me.

====================
Moment of Peace-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL89st1UqMo

Descendants of the Sun

Have you seen Descendants of the Sun (2016)? I think it was a big hit in Asia last year. One of my friends, who's a K-drama fan, highly recommended it (I haven't seen it because I'm not into K-drama). It stars Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo.

Re: Descendants of the Sun

I haven't seen it yet but yeah, it was a big hit in Asia. I like Song Hye Kyo and I kinda like Song Joong Ki's face, he has the charm.

I'll watch this next and post my thoughts about it. Good timing, I was wondering what to watch next.

====================

I heard Song Joong Ki was very popular in Asia last year (maybe he still is). He was in a lot of adverts, everyone had a crush on him. Since my friend raved about him, I decided to check out his films. I watched Penny Pinchers not too long ago, and he's quite funny and charming (good actor, too).

I hope you won't be disappointed. I look forward to your reviews.

Yeah they had a huge following the time their series went on air on some Asian countries. I'm pretty sure he has earned a lot of followers since then. He kinda looks good but I haven't seen him talk or act (even if it was shown on peak tv hours in the country--because I live under a rock) so I don't know if I'll like him.

I hope this won't disappoint as I'm already starting to feel like The Grinch. I can't seem to find another K-drama to rave about. I'll start watching it tomorrow probably. I'll post my thoughts as soon as I'm done. :)

====================

First Class: Season 2 (2015) (Japanese Drama/Comedy Television Series) – Welcome to the festival of b*tches! This television series (10 episodes, 45 minutes each) follows our protagonist from Season 1 (Erika Sawajiri) as she continues to navigate the treacherous fashion magazine industry. Like its predecessor, it is unrealistic and ridiculous at times, but that element actually enhances the entertainment value. There is a ton of blackmailing and back-stabbing to enjoy. The credits even list the “official power ranking” of all of the girls at the end of each show; and the fact that the rankings change wildly during every episode just accentuates the absurdity of everything because characters get “screwed over” by stuff that seemingly comes from out of nowhere, then they will be “saved” by something else that seemingly comes from out of nowhere. If a business ran itself like this in real life, it wouldn’t last long. Regardless, the pacing is brisk and the hilarious English speaking narrator is back! I especially like the funny scenes of wagyu steak eating with the Kawashima sisters. One thing I will say is that Season 2 was not quite as entertaining as Season 1, probably because it seemed to spend less time in developing each plotline – opting instead to simply use them to blow up the “power rankings.”

Recommended, if you liked Season 1.