Asian Cinema : The Official Asian Drama Thread

IS THERE AN ASIAN DRAMA WHERE..

...the leads don't end up with each other? Not because the other one died, or they were separated by some disease or something? But because of their own will. Something like, the lead guy pursues the woman, gives everything to her, but the woman doesn't want him, something like an unrequited love. Then the guy decides to give up, but then this time the woman, maybe realizing that she loved him after all, decides to get back with the guy but the guy doesn't want her anymore. Then this time its the girl who pursues the guy but its too late.

I'm tired of stories where the leads end up with each other. :(

Re: The Official Asian Drama Thread

This one was fun. I hope they have a second season.

The Private Detective That I Don’t Like (Watashi no Kirai na Tantei) (2014) (Japanese Comedy/Mystery Television Series) – After being extorted by his cute landlord, a private detective takes her along on his investigations. Ayame Gouriki cuts loose and is hilarious. She has very nice chemistry with the male lead as well. High energy and lots of fun, this series (8 episodes, 45 minutes each) never gets too serious. There are interesting, complicated murders to solve, and the girl’s ridiculous “explanations” for the crimes are fun to listen to. Mysteries are more fun with comedy!

Asian Film List
http://www.imdb.com/user/ur10058980/boards/profile/

Romance (2002) (Korean Romance/Drama Television Series) – A lady teacher unknowingly begins dating a highschool student, but then must deal with her feelings when he transfers to her school. This is soap opera-ish and contrived. The primary romantic relationship is unconvincing because they immediately fall in love after one or two days together. It’s ridiculous. Ha-neul Kim is a very charismatic actress but you have to give her something to work with. There’s almost no plot in this and no engaging conflict. It’s all just repetitive, boring, shallow romance with weak male leads. (Based off of the first 6 episodes.) Not Recommended

Asian Film List

Anyone who is up for comedy should watch MY BOSS MY HERO (Japan).

All the episodes are up in YouTube. LMAO this is a truly great series if you just want to forget your problems.

----
Did Ned Stark father you on some fishwife?

The pudding races are amazing.

Asian Film List

So so true! I love the slo motion and everytime they do it "Here comes the Hero" song is playing in the background.

----
Did Ned Stark father you on some fishwife?

It was the first tv drama that I watched and it still holds up as the best comedy drama I've seen. Also, Sorafune is *beep* epic.

Top 10 Favourite films http://www.imdb.com/list/t9JHDeBhWKQ/

I know that tune is amazing! I heard like a strings version of it and it was truly beautiful.

Have you seen Non Stop? I want to watch since my Japanese idol crushes are all there. I heard it is also a good comedy.

----
Everyyyyyonnnnneeeeeee.

Going My Home (2012) (Japanese Drama/Comedy Television Series) – Hirokazu Koreeda directs this series (10 episodes, 45-100 minutes each) about a middle-aged advertising executive (Hiroshi Abe) and his family. With Aoi Miyazaki in a supporting role, this has a fantastic cast with excellent chemistry. This director has a particular talent for getting the best out of child actors, and to no one’s surprise the little girl in this is fantastic. The character interaction is so realistic that it’s like hanging out with some really nice people. There are some hilarious moments of laid back, everyday comedy in every episode – which helps to maintain entertainment value. There are a number of cooking scenes, and there’s a fun recurring side plot regarding the possible existence of little Japanese gnomes. Pacing is slow, but this is a super pleasant experience that ranks high on the charm factor. Strongly Recommended

Asian Film List

FULL HOUSE

I was going over this thread and I can't believe I did not see a post of mine with a recommendation of FULL HOUSE..the Korean drama that started it all (for me).

I'm currently watching it again in honor of its 10 anniversary and I'll be back with an objective review. Hehehehe.

The Korean TV series shows that I've seen are listed below. Ratings are on a 5-star scale.

All In -- 4 stars. Centers around two former friends who rise through the gambling world as rivals, and of course their shared love interest. This was the first Korean TV drama I ever watched.

Sungkyunkwan Scandal -- 3.5 stars. My wife recommended this one to me. I didn't like it as much as she did, but it was enjoyable enough. Best line: "Please...don't ever dress up like a woman again."

Stairway to Heaven -- 5 stars (actually, can I rate it 6 out of 5?). I don't know where to start on this one. Extremely moving and emotionally gut-wrenching story of star-crossed lovers and the evil stepmom and daughter who will do anything and everything to keep them apart. I was a basket case watching this. 2 episodes and I'd be so emotionally wrung out, I'd have to stop for a day or so. Everything Korean melodrama is known for--it's in here. In spades.

Save the Last Dance for Me -- 4 stars. Young rich guy has amnesia (twice!) and can't figure out if he should stick with the cute spunky girl he can't remember loving, or the family-approved "sisterly" girl he doesn't love with his heart.

My Lovely Sam-Soon -- 4.5 stars. Somewhat chubby and crass pastry chef falls into a love/hate relationship with her arrogant boss, who has his own issues with a girl that disappeared for 3 years but who has suddenly returned.
So much fun. Sam-soon is great!

Happy Together -- 3.5 stars. Pretty good drama about 5 adult siblings (half/step/full) who have a hard time getting back together after being separated as children.

Love Letter -- 2 stars. Overlong and somewhat overwrought story about boy and girl orphans who become friends at the parsonage. She loves him but he wants to be a priest. But then he loves her and doesn't know what to do. Then she is dying. Meanwhile, his real mother shows up, and his half brother, and *he* falls in love with the girl. Melodrama ensues. Bleah.

Shoot for the Stars -- 4 stars. Illiterate wannabe-actor falls in love with his manager's sister. Of course there are those out to thwart them at every turn. Very engaging characters well-acted by all (especially the always amazing Do-yeon Jeon, who, in my opinion is the best actress working these days regardless of country). Fair warning, Ms. Jeon is fairly annoying in the first few episodes.

Damo -- I have this on the shelf based on my wife's recommendation, but I haven't watched it yet.

Also, right now I've 5 episodes into the Chinese series The Handsome Siblings (aka The Proud Twins). Directed by Wong Jing, starring Dicky Cheung, Nicholas Tse, Fan Bingbing, and Yuan Quan. Also has Elvis Tsui. VERY SILLY. I don't know if I can take 40 more episodes of this.

Any Asian drama with this following

after finding perfect guy fiancee or something woman goes out with friend or on holiday get smashing drunk find out she married to guy she does not know then some how this guy is somehow her boss or something

any show like this?

I enjoyed All In and really enjoyed My Lovely Sam Soon. I saw the first handful of episodes for Damo but couldn't get into it. I disliked Happy Together.

Here is my most recent K-drama viewing:

I Need Romance 3 (2014) (Korean Romantic Comedy Television Series) – This K-drama (16 episodes, 45 minutes each) is grounded and realistic, with good performances and charming humor. It’s pleasant and romantic. This season focuses less on the side relationships than previous seasons, which means that the primary “love square” gets almost all of the focus. In terms of scriptwriting and pure ambitiousness, this is a far cry from the phenomenal masterwork of Season 2, but it’s still enjoyable to watch. Those cool freeze frames are back too. Moderately Recommended

My next viewing will be a Japanese series entitled All About My Siblings (2014) which stars Satoshi Tsumabuki, Eita, Hikari Mitsushima, Yu Aoi, Masami Nagasawa, and Ai Hashimoto!!!

Asian Film List

My review of FULL HOUSE

I'll try to be very objective here despite my love for the series. After watching it for the 3rd time since I first watched it, I can say that I still feel the same. Maybe because I can identify with the lead character, or I can relate to it somehow.

-----------------------------------------

Around 90% of the entire series takes place in the house, thus, the title. Unlike other series which are too complicated and incorporates too many themes (e.g. stories of the untimely demise of past lovers which turned out to be their grandparents, then came the story of the 2nd generation forbidden love, inject some stories of betrayal here, crime there, lost child here, found there, turned out to be a sibling of this character, etc. etc.--you get what I mean), this series has a simple storyline. And doesn't involve numerous actors too. Which I guess works well for most watchers who can only take so much. One thing I can commend with the story is the well-developed/well-learned love. You know there are too plenty series involving how many episodes yet the feeling is like this: the lead characters fell in love with each other because that's what's written in the script. One day they woke up, and voila! I'm so madly in love with you! With Full House, you feel in love with the characters. You know why the characters felt that way, you can feel them.

The plot highlights on a one-sided/unrequited love, from both sides. Quandaries are everywhere. And the actors in the series gave very good and realistic portrayals of their roles. The chemistry was very present. Song Hye-kyo was actually good in acting a dumb and naïve girl. It helps a lot that she was not overacting, unlike some other female leads where instead of trying too hard to act dumb and naïve to look cute turned out to be annoying.

Now let's go to the thumbs-downs: First, a fake marriage seems hard to do these days. So, that's quite an eyebrow-raising-situation there. Next, I can't speak for Korean culture, but a hot guy and a pretty lady living in one house, with no emotional attachment at all seems another eyebrow-raising-situation. Some might also find the incessant and childlike yelling to each other during their petty quarrels as annoying. But personally, I wasn't annoyed because it aimed to show their hate for each other.

The series had a very registrable and fitting soundtrack too. Overall, I give this series a 9/10. I think no series will dethrone this as being my most Favorite Korean drama.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention. That end kiss was a disappointment. I was waiting for a long and passionate kiss and all I got was a mere pressing of lips.

Re: My review of FULL HOUSE

First KDrama that I really fell inlove with so it holds a special place in my heart. I love Rain and Song Hye Kyo. They have great chemistry.

I am a sucker for arranged/contract marriage/lead actor and actress live on thesame house situations so I enjoyed this tremendously.

And agree, the kiss sucks. The surprise kiss was better than the end kiss. However, I think before Kdrama kisses are very tame. It is only now that you see them kind of moving their lips.

----
Everyyyyyonnnnneeeeeee.

Right now I am addicted to a KDrama called Fated to Love You. And when I say addicted, I even watch the RAW files without subtitles because I couldnt wait to see what happens next. It has 20 episodes and as of today they just released ep 14.

There are cliche traps for any KDrama but overall it is saved by the fact that you will root for the lead actor and actress.

Anyone out there also watching this?

Also, cannot wait for Japan's Mischievous Kiss part 2 (Love in Okinawa.) The first one was great and I believe is the best out of all the versions (versus the Korean and Taiwanese one.)

P.S. As you can tell I like these love stories haha!

----
Everyyyyyonnnnneeeeeee.

I tried to watch Fated to Love You-- the Taiwan version--some years back. Never knew it had a Korean version until now. But I think I only got as far as episode 3 because I can't take the acting. I can just imagine the lead actors for the Korean version playing their parts well.

Havent seen the Taiwan one but the leads in the Korean version are truly nailing their part - especially the girl. She is perfectly fit for this role!

----
Everyyyyyonnnnneeeeeee.

Lately I am having a Korean drama phase so....

1. Marriage Not Dating (Korea) - This is too funny! I love it. The lead girl is truly remarkable and one of the best heroines there is in KDrama land.

Synopsis: A perfect man is forced to marry by his family, but he doesn't want to marry yet. To make his family give up, he introduces a woman to them, someone that they would never accept.

But we all know where this will go!

2. Fated to Love You - Very sweet and fluffy. The leads really have great chemistry. Im kind of addicted to them now. It is one of the best KDrama endings Ive watched so far.

Synopsis: An ordinary woman happens to spend one night with the successor of a large company. She finds herself being pregnant and having a contract marriage.

But we all know where this will go!

3. I am also watching Hirugao (Japanese drama) about a housewife who befriended another housewife and egged her to have extramarital affairs. However, even though I hate cheating storylines, I cant help but be drawn with this. There is something about it. The soundtrack is nice too. It is not finished yet though.

----
I did not come here to eat fruit. Stannis was fuming.

3. I am also watching Hirugao (Japanese drama) about a housewife who befriended another housewife and egged her to have extramarital affairs. However, even though I hate cheating storylines, I cant help but be drawn with this. There is something about it. The soundtrack is nice too. It is not finished yet though.

Wow, I'm coincidently watching that one as well! Its good, isn't it? Love the main theme: Never Again.

George Lucas talking about: 'Hey, give it to me, I'll fix it. I'll make 20 more of them'

All About My Siblings (2014) (Japanese Drama/Romance/Comedy Television Series)

Five adult siblings live together and help one another thru various conflicts and obstacles in this J-drama (11 episodes, 45-60 minutes each). This bends around cinematic genres with excellent craftmanship, at times shifting between them in mere seconds. In sibling fashion, tempers flare and there is much in terms of emotional banter (and wrestling!) between them, but it’s very entertaining to watch because it has genuine content and character development behind it. The family is exaggerated a bit in its wildness, but it never relinquishes it’s foundations in realism. The script, conflicts, and drama are all very well written. Last but certainly not least, the level of youthful acting ability on display here is insane (Satoshi Tsumabuki, Eita, Hikari Mitsushima, Yu Aoi, Masami Nagasawa, Ai Hashimoto, etc.). Everyone gets their chances to shine, and the constant interactions between these talents is a dream come true. It’s a major rarity to find this many excellent performances in one place. The Japanese film industry is in great hands.

9/10

Asian Film List

Japanese drama plz name it?

this drama bout this reporter who live on his own and has older sister who he disowned because she did not bother to go to the parent funeral cause she was actress now he has to take care of his niece who her self is actress like her mother who he tried to get interview.

now she living with him in his tiny apartment long side her manager clumsy woman

any ideas

second one japanese drama

Its this bout this woman who find this box inside is guy injury she help him but then take him as house pet

Plz help me

thanks for the second title

anyone knows the first one

Guy a reporter bout to report on young actresses and her dog boo boo banjo i dont know but was to late his sister come in she actress he does not like her cause she choice her job over going to her parent funeral but now young actress annie anna i dont know her name in his apartment now finding out this actress is his niece

any ideas plus clumsy manager who funny

My recent k-drama viewings have been:

Rooftop Prince - really enjoyed this one. A good combination of "fish out of water" comedy, romance and historical. Highly recommended.

To The Beautiful You - a "girl disguises as a boy" story set in the realm of high school sports. Not a typical romantic comedy, but enjoyable.

Cheong-dam Dong Alice - enjoyable rom-com with a lot to say about class differences in Korea and the importance of connections.

Queen Seundeok - riveting historical drama about Korean's first female ruler. Loved the concubine villain!

Warrior Baek Dong Soo - good martial arts historical drama. Bonus: lots of "dashing warrior" eye candy for the ladies.

Film Trek Asia: http://filmtrekasia.blogspot.com/

plz help me find this title of asian drama

first episode of a drama : in the wedding day family found out that the bride run and they forced the bride's sister to marry the boy instead. she didn't want to marry but was forced... do you know which drama it is ? :(( i cannot find it :((

First Class (2014) (Japanese Drama Television Series)

A girl (Erika Sawajiri) gets a job as an assistant at a fashion magazine, but soon realizes that it is a cut-throat environment. The execution here is very different from the popular American film “The Devil Wears Prada.” The boss is the primary source of support, while every single woman in the office is a back-stabbing wench who tries to sabotage her competitor’s plans. The script is on the shallow side near the beginning, and some have written this off as merely a series of soap opera-ish cat fights between insanely hot women, but the script accomplishes more than its reputation suggests. It does develop its characters as it progresses, which results in some interesting interactions and plot turns. You wanna punch some of these girls in the face, but the cool thing is that you’ll end up liking some of them by the end. Yes, it is unrealistic and ridiculous at times, but that element actually enhances the entertainment value significantly. I must admit that some of these episodes were damn exciting and I laughed out loud at the sheer absurdity of events at times. (Each episode begins with a really cheesy English intro that will make the viewer chuckle every single time.) The female centric cast give energetic performances, and the pacing is brisk in this J-drama (10 episodes, 36 minutes each). This series has a deceptive quality to it, and even if it doesn’t, it’s still deliciously entertaining. Recommended

Asian Film List

Discovery of Love (2014) (Korean Romantic Comedy Television Series)

A woman’s relationship with her boyfriend becomes complicated by the reappearance of her former flame. This is a nicely written K-drama (16 episodes, 60 minutes each), which is evident during the restaurant scene during the opening episode. The dialogue is especially strong and the performances are top notch (especially Yu-mi Jung). The characters are multi-dimensional, with some traits that are likeable and others that are unlikeable. At times it is difficult to decide who should end up together, and that makes things interesting and unpredictable because the relationships ebb and flow. The romance is very detailed in how it is portrayed, which shows the complexity of romantic relationships and creates an interesting dynamic between the three leads. It does not remain static, but develops and morphs frequently. Many funny moments peppered throughout each episode, but it stays realistic and avoids getting wacky or silly (the tone does get progressively more serious during the latter episodes). The final episode does feel a bit superfluous and drawn out, but this is good stuff.

Asian Film List

Catch-up post. Almost all anime.

Attack on Titan (2013) (Japanese Anime Action/Horror Television Series) - A medieval-like world of humans has become almost completely extinct due to the arrival of bloodthirsty, vicious, humanoid giants. The remaining survivors live in a walled-off kingdom and attempt to fight back before their impending extinction is realized. This begins with an epic opening episode that communicates the dire situation. Things go from bad to worse quickly, which creates a strong sense of hopelessness that is supplemented with graphic violence that creates a horrific feel. There is tons of action involving humans battling numerous giants. The creativity is excellent and many of the battles are both mind-blowing and thoroughly exciting. There are also some shocking surprises! The animation itself is very nice. The characters are well developed and given the dangerous situation the viewer will care for their well-being. Fast-paced and interesting, this is a must watch anime (25 episodes, 23 minutes each). Strongly Recommended

Kids on the Slope (2012) (Japanese Anime Drama/Romance Television Series) – Set in the summer of 1966, an introverted high school student befriends two of his classmates and discovers jazz. This is a basic friendship drama with good character development and a sprinkling of romance. There’s not as much music as you might expect in this anime (12 episodes, 23 minutes each). Recommended

Bakemonogatari (2009) (Japanese Anime Comedy/Drama/Horror/Romance Television Series) – Two highschool students (a boy and girl) meet fellow students who have problems with supernatural apparitions. This series (15 episodes, 24 minutes each) is both unique and highly entertaining. The presentation is a bit awkward at first, using split-second flashes of images and words during every scene, but the viewer gets used to it and it eventually creates a great visual experience. The script is driven by fantastic, sharp dialogue and many hilarious one-liners (one of the more interesting and riveting episodes takes place in the back seat of a car). Even the playful dirty talk works well, and there’s a lot of sexual tension on display. Animation has excellent use of color. Horror elements are present but lightly applied in this nicely crafted genre-bender. As an added bonus, most episodes have a completely different opening song and intro. Strongly Recommended

Nisemonogatari (2012) (Japanese Anime Comedy/Drama/Horror/Romance Television Series) – This sequel to “Bakemonogatari” is very impressive. The plot is a nice mix of everyday interaction and supernatural apparitions. The animation is excellent, with very colorful, unique environments as well as stylish presentation. The humor is much naughtier than its predecessor (even pedophilia and incest are toyed with at times), and things do get very sultry despite the fact that there is minimal sensual physical contact between the characters. This really works in an unexpectedly classy way because the script is sharp, witty, and delightfully playful. An expertly crafted blend of tasteful and inappropriate content creates a unique experience. Like its predecessor, this anime (11 episodes, 24 minutes each) contributes some different intro songs to enjoy. Strongly Recommended

Tazza (2008) (Korean Drama Television Series) – This K-drama revolves around a street gambler who plays the card game Go Stop. There are some good actors here, but the execution is very soap opera-ish and drawn out. It feels more like a late 90s/early 00s K-drama than a more recent one. The conflicts and plot just don’t hold interest. Watch the theatrical film instead. (Based off of the first 5 episodes.) Not Recommended

Fullmetal Alchemist (2003-2004) (Japanese Anime Action/Drama Television Series)– A young boy and his armored brother perform alchemy and seek out the Philosopher’s Stone. This feels a bit too episodic at first, but that changes after a little bit as some key overall storylines and villains emerge. For such a highly acclaimed series, the script is not particularly well-written – which leaves the overall length (51 episodes, 25 minutes each) unjustified. I actually stopped caring about what was happening after a while. Still, it is generally watchable. There’s some entertaining action and the story does get better in patches. This is definitely overrated though. Features the most useless, incompetent armored warrior you’ll ever see. Recommended

Asian Film List

Medical Top Team (2013) (Korean Drama Television Series) – This K-drama (20 episodes, 60 minutes each) depicts the process of treating patients by a team of doctors, considered the best in their fields, as a power struggle ensues in the hospital. The primary focus is the need to balance the hospital’s needs with that of the patients. Ryeo-won Jeong plays an icy role, but she somehow makes her character likeable and nuanced. Her conflict with her boss is very engaging and intense. Some suspenseful, lengthy surgery sequences to enjoy too. The supporting actress Yeon-seo Oh is just about the cutest thing I’ve ever seen. On the negative side, the plot gasses out and the latter episodes become weaker.

Asian Film List

Some recently watched dramas that I would recommend:

Doctor Stranger - Excellent medical drama with action, romance and good villains.

Gu Family Book - Enjoyed the martial arts and the gender twist on the Korean gumiho. Choi Jin Hyuk makes a very sexy gumiho!

You're All Surrounded - Good cop drama with interesting characters.

Film Trek Asia: http://filmtrekasia.blogspot.com/

Gu Family Book was good.

Asian Film List

I'm currently watching the Death Note J-drama and I like it quite a bit so far. This show follows the previous storylines fairly closely, but also changes the specific scenarios in significant ways to keep things fresh and different. This is not a carbon copy adaptation. Light is not a pure genius here, exhibiting weaknesses and mistakes – at times he seems to be outmatched by L. Ryuk is nuttier than ever and is an absolute riot, and he’s given lots of screentime. The lead actor is a bit stiff for the first few episodes, but he grows on you.

I hope this maintains its entertainment value throughout all of the future episodes.

Asian Film List

It didn't quite finish as strong as it started. I think the first 6 or so episodes were better than the last 5, but this is pretty good stuff.

Asian Film List

Wait, there is a Death Note J-drama???? They remade it? Huh, fancy that.

Bale out.

Now that October is over, I usually get back into K-dramas, J-dramas, and anime series for a few months.

I started "Ex-Girlfriend Club" (2015), which is entertaining so far. I'm a big fan of the lead actress Ji-hyo Song (from "Emergency Couple"). It's only 12 episodes long so hopefully I can finish it soon.

I also started "Yoo-na's Street" (2014), which stars Ok-bin Kim. That one is 50 episodes long, however, so I'm not sure how long it will take to finish.

Asian Film List

I really enjoyed Ex-Girlfriend Club. It's a Korean romantic comedy television series from 2015.

A film producer must deal with her ex-boyfriend and his other ex-girlfriends because her company has decided to make a film based off of his webcomic, which is a chronicle of his actual relationships with those ex-girlfriends. The story develops primarily into a situation where the various protagonists work on pre-production for the film but must somehow keep their relationships a secret to avoid scandal. This K-drama (12 episodes, 60 minutes each) really kicks into high gear during episode 5, which has some very entertaining scenes involving the “re-writing” of the webcomic, as well as some hilarious character interaction. From this point on, the series continues to operate at a high level. The tone is really effective because it avoids long-stretches of seriousness and melodrama, but at the same time the script is great at developing the characters. The fairly short episode length is also a big benefit because the pacing never drags and the story does not feel drawn out at all. Character interaction feels natural and some K-drama cliches are safely avoided. I’m a big fan of Ji-hyo Song and Yoon-ji Lee, but all of the actresses put in charismatic, charming performances. The male lead is very good as well.

Asian Film List

Two Weeks (2013) (Korean Drama/Thriller Television Series) – After a man is falsely accused of murder, he is targeted for assassination by the corrupt businessman who set him up. He then escapes police custody to stay alive and save his leukemia stricken daughter who is set for a bone-marrow transplant. The plot is somewhat generic (e.g., The Fugitive, etc.), there are some contrivances, and it does have a soap opera-ish feel at times, but this is more than entertaining enough to overpower its flaws. In fact, there is good character development and endearing character moments that drive the drama. The story moves along nicely and there’s enough tension to set up the getaways and chases. The lead actor (Joon-gi Lee) does a very good job. The bad guys are sufficiently dislikeable, which adds some effective conflict (like most K-dramas, it restricts the protagonists to being noble and by-the-book while the criminals get to use every sleazy maneuver they can imagine). An entertaining television series (16 episodes, 65 minutes each). Recommended

Asian Film List

Hi! School – Love On (2014) (Korean Drama/Romance/Comedy)

High school students go through love and maturity as an angel becomes a human being after accidentally saving a male high school student. It’s nice to see Sae-ron Kim in a lighter role for a change (she’s usually getting abandoned, abused or kidnapped). Unfortunately, even she can’t save this K-drama (20 episodes, 55 minutes each) because it is incompetently written and painfully repetitive. The opening 10 or so episodes are watchable, due to an infusion of humor, but after that it’s all downhill. Conflicts frequently involve fellow jerk students who try to frame the protagonists for various offenses, which is sufficiently infuriating but also way too repetitive and shallow. The main dilemmas severely drag and are soap opera-ish. After a while everyone acts like a child (even the adults) while they mope around, pout, and complain about how much their life sucks. All they do is whine, whine, whine. This creates a situation where everyone – even the protagonists – become unlikeable douchebags. Not Recommended

YouTube Asian Movie Review Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/anticlimacus100

Sion Sono is such a nut!

All Esper Dayo (2013) (Japanese Comedy Television Series) – In Notsu, Oita Prefecture, a variety of sexual perverts are inexplicably endowed with supernatural powers in this J-drama (12 episodes, 30 minutes each). High school student Yoshio Kamogawa (Shota Sometani) is one of them and can read other people’s minds. He befriends some other oddball characters and hopes to one day save the world. Sion Sono co-directs, which is obvious due to the number of upskirt panty shots (and leg shots). The humor is relentlessly sex-themed and perverted, but it’s also delightfully light-hearted. I'm not the biggest fan of sex-based humor, but this is phenomenal stuff! Tons of laugh-out-loud moments in this one. This isn’t just a compilation of jokes, however, because some dramatic elements creep up at times and are well-executed. The characters are properly developed too. The finale episode is one huge curveball, and I really liked it. Sometani is perfectly cast as the lead. Kaho has played some disturbed characters in the past, but she’s totally awesome here as a spiffy, tough-as-nails chick. Erina Mano is smoking hot, by the way.

Re: Esper Dayo!

I'm confused by all the Esper Dayo Psychics! stuff. I assume what you're talking about here is Everyone Is Psychic! Minna! Esupâ dayo! (2013).

Then there's Minna! Esper Dayo!: Bangai hen Esper Miyako e iku (2015) presumably a TV movie about the Series. And then The Virgin Psychics Eiga: minna! Esupâ da yo! (2015) a theatrical movie that looks like the same group. Seems weird.

Re: Esper Dayo!

Yep. The Japanese tend to do that with their more popular television properties. They'll make "specials" (or made-for-tv films) based off of them, and then they will spin them off into theatrical films.

Reply 1988 (aka Answer Me 1988) (2015) (Korean Drama/Comedy/Romance Television Series)

This takes place during the late 1980s and involves a mischievous teenage girl and her life-long male friends. All of the characters are developed very well, and the interaction is very realistic. The romance is effective too, and you will have no idea which boy will end up with the girl (if any). I really enjoyed the portrayal of sibling relationships as well, especially the female lead and her older sister. The lead actress is fantastic, and the little girl toddler is hilarious. There is a nice mix of comedic and serious moments within each episode. Events also frequently parallel memorable events from Korean history. It’s fun seeing the many 80s cultural references too, from both Korean and other countries (especially music). I do have three fairly minor gripes: (1) the sheep sound is used too much during the gags; (2) a few of the male characters are annoyingly passive with their romantic feelings; and (3) the final handful of episodes seem to drag out a bit. This K-drama is solid (20 episodes, 90+ minutes each).

I'm loving all these dramas on Netflix...but I can't find any of them on IMDb, short of googling the alternative title I see it under, then copying and pasting the Korean or Japanese title into the IMDb search bar. Apparently, the titles I'm seeing these shows under aren't even listed as alternative English titles, and it's not like Netflix is an obscure company that no one has ever heard of.

Is this a problem for anyone else?

(At least I eventually found this thread. It should keep me going with some recommendations.)

Worst. Rescue. EVER!

bump

I enjoyed this one quite a bit.

Good Doctor (2013) (Korean Drama/Romance Television Series)

A man with avant syndrome and developmental disability has a mental age of a 10-year-old, but he strives to become a paediatric surgeon. One of the strongest aspects of this K-drama (20 episodes, 60 minutes each) is the acting. Chae-won Moon is a convincing female lead, but the key component is Joo Won as the male lead because he doesn’t go overboard on the mannerisms and fall into obnoxious “Forrest Gump” territory. The writing of the dialogue and characters is very good too. The protagonist is talented in terms of memory and diagnosis, but incompetent at dealing with people in a tactful way, which makes the viewer conflicted as to whether or not he should really be a doctor. Some of the side characters transition between being likeable and unlikeable, which is a nice touch. There is some political scheming within the hospital, and the technical language did sound convincing. There are some melodramatic moments, but they work and I teared up a few times. Some genuinely funny moments are peppered in as well.

Good Morning Call (2016)
It's kind of typical high-school J-drama with popular guy and "plain-Jane" girl. It's funny and the lead actress is super cute.

Office Girls (2011)
Taiwanese drama with poor, plain girl vs. cute rich guy type of story, but entertaining and the lead actress is very good.

Both are on Netflix.

I loved Good Morning Call...I've been debating what to watch next, and Office Girls was on the list. I think you've convinced me

Worst. Rescue. EVER!

The "movie" they've sat down to watch a couple of times now in Office Girls is actually the last drama I watched on Netflix, Autumn's Concerto...which I thought was cool, because these are the only two Taiwanese shows I've seen. What are the chances the characters in this would watch the only other show I'd recognise?

Worst. Rescue. EVER!

That's cool indeed. Did you like Autumn's Concerto? Was it sad? Office Girls is my first T-drama. I hope you'll like it. I have only watched the first 10 episodes or so. I was binge watching so I decided to take a break. I love Good Morning Call, too. It's so cute.