Asian Cinema : The Official Asian Drama Thread

Re: The Official Asian Drama Thread

I tried google it and I think that's the one you recommended. :p It's a 2 episode mini-series right?

I would actually say this is one long-ish TV movie divided into two parts. ;~}

MEK

Analyze only when necessary.
fortune cookie, 4-24-2010

hehe, and I cant watch asian movies or TV-shows without subs since Im from sweden and not asia. :p

I decided -- back in 2002 or so -- that there were certain things I'd never get to see if I insisted on waiting for subtitles. So, I started watching unsubbed film (for which I had no script translations). Most of the time, I can mostly figure things out.

MEK

ah cool, yeah, storywise, put in a grander picture, movies, irrespective of what nation they might be produced in often have a similar story pattern, it's the details of for an example asian cinema that fascinates at least me. plus, Im not too talented when it comes to languages though I now days understand at least parts of the dialogue in korean dramas after watching dozens of them (so long as it's not writers like Kim Eun-sook handling the dialogue)

I usually manage to get my hands on most recommendations from various forums I frequent, but I seem to have encountered problems with madame butterfly. You watched it while it was airing?

Forgot to mention how the show a gentlemans dignity also touches the very intresting subject "oppa culture" that seems to be a very disturbing and hush hush subject in modern korean dramaculture. Same goes for at least one of the minor characters in the so so show king 2 hearts butgot tired of that show after 7-8 episodes I though Ha Ji-Won would do something similar to her secret garden character. But while the character is similar, it has to many disturbing charactertraits found in 18 year old oppafanatic "unkissed" actresses with babyfaces starring in worthless k-dramas (for an example boys before flowers).

Well, I started learning Japanese on my own almost as soon as I started watching Japanese films -- watching Chinese and Korean films have not had the same impact in terms of language acquisition. ;~{

I bought Cho-Cho-san from Amazon Japan.

MEK

Well, I just purchased "The Master of Tai Chi" TV series from YesAsia without subtitles, so we'll see how that goes. I've waited long enough, and it looks like there will never be a subbed release.

Asian Film List
http://www.imdb.com/user/ur10058980/boards/profile/

Just finished watching an oldie, Autumn in My Heart and last year's My Princess.

Although a bit over-the-top on melodrama at times, I liked Autumn in My Heart. It's a story about two girls switched at birth and how their lives changed as they grew up. Sad story but good acting, especially by the child actors in the first few episodes. Also nice to see the earlier work of Won Bin and Song Seung Heon before they became famous.

My Princess, also starring the never aging Song Seung Heon, is a light romantic comedy about a poor girl who discovers she's a princess and the descendant of the last Korean emperor. Overall, a cute comedy.

I'm now watching Midas and liking it a lot. It's a story of a chaebol family's intrigues as the chairman looks to pick his successor intertwined with the rags-to-riches story of an ambitious ordinary man, set in the world of Korean finance. Exciting stuff so far.

"Autumn In My Heart" was pretty good. I liked it.

I just started "History of the Salaryman", which is a lot of fun so far. I'm watching it because I'm smitten with Ryeo-won Jeong ("Castaway on the Moon").

Asian Film List

feel free to give your thoughts about that show when you have watched it to the end. have had my eyes on it myself since a couple of weeks before it started airing last winter but haven't watched it yet even though I have been temped, Lee Bum Soo seems hilarious in the show from what I've read and heard. like the genreclassification of it too, melodram + comedy.

History of the Salaryman (2012) (Korean Drama/Comedy/Thriller/Romance Television Series) – This series (22 episodes, 60 minutes each) concerns a handful of employees at a major company as they engage in cloak-and-dagger schemes that involve research and white collar criminal activity. The first big positive here is the very natural and effective transition between multiple genres, with a seamless blend of humor, drama, suspense, and romance. The second big positive is the acting, which is very good from everyone, but the ladies really steal the show. Ryeo-won Jeong (from Castaway on the Moon) shows up (with firey red hair) and is simply outstanding as the spoiled yet loveable granddaughter of the rich company executive who is forced to work after she messes with her father’s pet chicken (I’m serious). This actress is flat-out one of the best in contemporary film. Soo-hyun Hong is also very good as the lady scientist, and Seo-hyung Kim chews the scenery nicely. Each of the main characters are given ample development. Pacing moves briskly, with different obstacles being introduced to keep things engaging. The one glaring negative is that there are some very unrealistic events and plotholes, especially with regard to how business is run and how evidence in legal cases is applied, but if one can get past that then they will find that the character-based dramatic elements work very well (especially during the second half). I strongly recommend this one.

Asian Film List

Im currently watching it too. I loved her in Castaway of the moon. But unfortunately I watched her in Pain before... A movie so horrendous the ppl who allowed it to be made should go to jail. hands down top 5 worst pieces of crap I've ever seen. And I've seen a lot, especially from korea

Have u watched other K-dramas... Evidence and bushiness plots are ALWAYS dumbed down to day nursery levels... Take Baker King, one of the mega hits in 2010... After many dumb twist and turns it ends with the two stepbrothers in possession of like 75 % of the company in total. At that point, they say, "well I dont want to run the company". So they just leave their sister in charge of this hugeass company. What the writers fail to mention is all the money they will get annually from company shares and so on + they can still pretty much do as they like with the company due to their sharepossession...

And in Shining Inheritance (and if Im not mistaken in city hunter) they try to make the watcher actually believe that it's a completely viable option to let all the employees be the runners of the company... That everybody have the equal amount of shares and therefor everybody can call the shots.

I usually just try to ignore especially the company running parts of the shows these days, if not, I will only get angry. Instead I try to focus on the whitty humor of the shows.

seems like Im gonna have second lead syndrome yet again with salaryman, I want Bang and Woo Hee to end up together, even though Im 99 % sure after watching like 8 episodes that that's not going to happen. It keeps suprising me how weird the koreans keep constructing their couple matchups.

Is Baker King worth watching? I was going to watch it based mainly on its huge ratings, but all I keep hearing is how "overrated" it is. I very much enjoyed "Gourmet" (aka "The Grand Chef"). Is it as good as that one?

I loved Shining Inheritance. Definitely the most infuriating antagonist in any K-drama I've ever seen. I wanted to reach through my television and strangle that stepmother.

Asian Film List

Oh, perhaps we have another Kim So-Yeon fan here? :) I suggest u watch prosecutor princess if u are a fan of her work. A really underrated drama in all categories.

Baker king vs Gourmet... hmmm I prefer Gourmet tbh, wonderful soundtrack, more talented actors and so on. And more "realistic" and satisfying story. I had to ignore constant hunger feelings during the episodes. The food in that show = art :)

I belong to the category saying baker king is a bit overrated. Especially the romance part of the story is horrible horribly written. Sure, the show has it's moments but the number of episodes are to many compared to the story. I have noticed that is a pretty common problem with k-dramas. Many times the story is to thin to properly match up with the amount of episodes broadcast.

And in the company parts in the show are record breaking in dumbness... In one episode the antagonist freakin "steal" companyshares by bringing his bodyguards and taking some documents from one of the protagonists... so stupid. :p and as I said, the unintentionally hilarious ending with the companyshares...

At the same time you cant help but feel a bit good when watching these shows, thinking to yourself how easily you would have outmaneuvered the antagonists :p

Sidenote: if we have any aspiring scriptwriters who want themselves a lesson in how to NOT write a story. Watch Fashion King. when ppl look back in say, 10 years or so at the mysteries of the past decade. one of the riddles is gonna be how fashion king managed to score double digits ratings... Worst piece of crap I've tried watching in a long time. My patience lasted for 11 episodes or so :p

Yep, I'm a fan of So-yeon Kim. The first time I saw her was in "Iris". I think I mentioned previously in this thread that I am currently in the middle of "All About Eve", but that series is going to take a while because I'm using my DVD rental service to watch it (instead of online or buying the DVD pack). I like So-yeon's character in that one so far.

I think I'll start Prosecutor Princess next, maybe in the next day or two. I've been eyeing that one for a while and your positive recommendation will make it a priority.

Asian Film List

Feel free to give your thoughts about all about eve. I've been thinking about watching that for quite a while by now. It has both Kim so-yeon and Jang Dong-gun in it after all :)

Btw. for the ppl who like History of the Salaryman. You should have taken your time to watch Giant before that show. It will make to story even more hilarious :p. Especially Jung Bo Suk:s cameo as Yo Pil-Yun is one of the most hilarious moments in the show as of yet (Im at episode 8) but if u havent watched Giant, u wont get it :p. Also, I loved how they made a comment in episode 7 or something about all the empoyees meeting up in the same restaurant, thats also from giant :p

Yo Pil-Yun:s laugter <3

stopped watching both my princess and midas somewhere in the middle. Princess cuz the characters tended to be more annoying than fun and not much of a proper plot. I found midas immensely interesting the first 10 episodes or so, but yet again, the story didn't really seem to lead anywhere. I gave up after around 10 episodes cuz I still couldn't properly figure out what the show was really about. The audience never really got to know anything about what was happening, all we were presented with was the main character going to work and his marriage getting shattered.

I have been thinking about watching both shows to the end, but have been prioritizing other shows and movies.

Just finished Rooftop prince. Overall a decent k-drama I must say. Many dramas out there tend to get stuck plotwise just to stretch things out and therefore there is never any real "diversity" in the story. This show pretty much says "*beep* that" and goes the easy was and just resolve things without too much drama for the sake of drama so to speak. the post production work in the last 10 episodes or so tend to be a bit sloppy though with weird storyarchs from time to time but at least the first 10 episodes or so are hilarious.

I'm currently watching unstoppable high kick. Hilarious show. I love the vice principal, he always says something funny.

Has Anyone Watch the Japanese TV show Troubleman? What did you think of it? Here's the Drama Wiki page: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/TROUBLEMAN

This is my murder-swagger, I wear the skin-trophy of my prey.

Based on the recommendations here, I've just finished watching Iris. Loved it! It's one of my favorite K-dramas so far.

Has anyone seen Love to Kill with Rain?

Now I'm in the mood for a good period drama and am considering either Damo or Chuno. Any thoughts on those?

if you like rain, get your hands on Fugitive: Plan B. Hilarious and really good looking show, as to be expected whith one of the biggest actors in korea starring in it.

Period is not at least my cup of tea. Have tried watching Dong yi and Hwang Jin Yi. which are both supposedly "good shows". Hated them both, even though some of my favorite actresses from the korean cinema scene are in them. The closest thing I have come to watch a whole period show is probably rooftop prince, which ended just a couple of months ago. They make fun of modern day ordinary stuff. Pretty fun thb, though the later half is suffering from a common disease among k-drama shows, the live-shoot system. where the usual result is a massive decline in storyvalue in the later half of the show. :(

Pleased to hear that you liked IRIS though, have you looked up Athena:godess of war?

Thanks for the recommendation, oscar-nilsson. I've put it on the list for future viewing.

I saw that Athena: Goddess of War was a spin-off of Iris. I may check it out later. Did you like it as much as Iris?

Hello.

I'm not a fan of Damo at all, but it has a lot of fans. Chuno is good, but drags a bit during the middle episodes.

In terms of period dramas I would recommend Dae Jang Geum (aka A Jewel In The Palace) and Jumong, as they are by far the best that I've seen. Also, Joseon X-Files is very cool as well.

Asian Film List

Thanks, ebossert for those recommendations. I think I'll start with Chuno as it doesn't require as much of a time commitment as the others. But they all sound really cool.

I finished My Little Chef (2002) last night. The interesting thing here is that the chef feels the need to chit-chat with the customers in order to then cook fancy meals that are perfectly suited for their specific taste and mood. The lead actress is very good, but this series also benefits from the presence of Hiroshi Abe. Good stuff.

Asian Film List

I'm excited for the upcoming 'To The Beautiful You' (SHINee's Minho) and 'Faith' (Lee Minho).

Where's my elephant?

Faith looks good.

Asian Film List

Has anyone watched Ikebukuro West Gate Park? What did you think of it?

This is my murder-swagger, I wear the skin-trophy of my prey.

I've just finished Chuno and really, really liked it. The parallel love stories were touching and the martial arts action was very good. I guess it helps that the lead actor Jang Hyuk, in an excellent performance, used to be a Taekwondo athlete.

I'm now watching Prosecutor Princess - a Korean take on Legally Blonde. It started out a bit silly and the fashionista prosecutor is over-the-top and clueless, but it's getting better. Of course, it helps that the same actor who played General Choi in Chuno is in this.

I've got a bunch of dramas in progress right now, but I recently started "GTO" (1998) and "Me Too, Flower" (2011). "GTO" is good, but not as awesome as its legendary reputation suggests. "Me Too, Flower" on the other hand has the makings of an awesome series. Ji-ah Lee is a fine actress, and it's nice to see her finally getting a meaty role that allows her to showcase her wide array of emotions.

Asian Film List

"Me Too, Flower" is actully quite enjoyable. The plot isn't precisely groundbreaking but all the actors are superb, they are the ones who really makes the show. Keep watching :)

Good to hear. I have about 6 episodes left.

Asian Film List

I'm watching To The Beautiful You, largely because it stars Minho from SHINee. He's far from my favourite character though (that would be the doctor with the great hair, or the other potential love interest guy), and honestly it isn't that good compared to other similar dramas I've seen. Still pretty enjoyable, but the plot doesn't make much sense to me.

May start Faith, now that I'm caught up with To The Beautiful You. I'm usually not into historical dramas as much, but Lee Min-ho...

Where's my elephant?

Moment In Peking (2005) (Chinese Romance/Drama Television Series) – Set against the backdrop of early 20th century China, this television series (44 episodes, 45 minutes each) follows the ups and downs of the upper class Tsang clan. The big positives here are: (1) Zhao Wei in the lead role, (2) the beautiful period clothing and sets, and (3) the cultural value. Zhao basically plays the intelligent daughter who gives advice and tries to keep everyone else from causing trouble. The first 10 episodes concern the matchmaking of different young women and men. It is unpredictable regarding who will end up marrying who. Afterward, the married couples have their own problems to solve for much of the middle episodes. The final 15 or so episodes focus on the deadly conflict between two families. One negative with this series is that many of the characters are annoying and unlikeable. The elders are a bunch of busybodies who apparently have no life of their own, so they have to interject themselves into every little aspect of their children’s lives. The younger adult main characters are whiny brats who go through long stretches where they complain instead of “manning up” and dealing with their problems in a proper, classy fashion. This dysfunctional family is a complete and utter mess for the most of the series, but there is some positive progress made after episode 30. There are some cheesy, soap opera-ish moments, but overall this is well made. Viewers with an interest in Chinese culture will enjoy it more than others.

Asian Film List

I'm glad I finished a few of these series before the NFL regular season starts.

All About Eve (2000) (Korean Drama/Romance Television Series) – This drama (20 episodes, 50 minutes each) is about two girls, Sun-mi (Rim Chae) and Young-mi (So-yeon Kim), who compete against each other to become a news anchor. So-yeon Kim is insanely gorgeous, and she plays a multi-dimensional, ultra-competitive protagonist that has likeable and unlikeable traits. It’s a very good performance, because sometimes you feel like smacking her in the face, but minutes later you feel like giving her a big hug because she is consistently plagued by her shady past. The first 10 episodes are better than the second 10 (which have a few eye-rolling moments, and the two idiot side characters get annoying). Both actresses make this worth watching, and the theme song is catchy too.

I do need to fit in "Biscuit Teacher and Star Candy" over the next few weeks, because I have the DVDs rented out.

Asian Film List

Five Fingers

Apparently this kind of thing is called a "makjang" drama. It's easily the most absurdly soapy thing I've ever watched, Korean or otherwise. Rich family, two sons who are pianists, and drama over which one will inherit their father's company — the mother's biological son, or the father's illegitimate son. There's a lot more going on than that but it would take me forever to detail all the convoluted soapy details. There's murder, adultery, miscarriage, family tragedy, people being framed for murder, etc. though, and I think I love it.

Where's my elephant?

I've warmed up to To The Beautiful You a lot more. Even though the plot doesn't make sense it's cute and fluffy enough for me to really enjoy it, especially because of Lee Hyun-woo, whose outfits make me feel even sadder that I'm too broke to buy clothes right now. :(

Where's my elephant?

is it as good as its japanese counterpart? Hana-Kimi is hands down the funniest show I have ever watched :p. Gonna see everything in one batch when it has finished airing and Im trying to lower my expectations until then so as to not be dissapointed :p

eh probably not bcz it does seem quite flawed but I am really enjoying it now, like so excited for a new episode at this point. I am so in love with Lee Hyun-woo's character because he's just so cute and loveable and awesome and always insanely stylish. I never saw the Japanese one tho, I hope the plot makes more sense in it since it's sort of the original (aside from the manga?)

Where's my elephant?

I'm currently in the middle of the Horror board's October Challenge, but I'm already getting the itch to watch a newer K-drama. If anyone has more recs, let me know. I'm gonna get ramped up on K-dramas again on November 1st.

Asian Film List

Over the past few months I've watched the following Korean shows:

A Love To Kill - The story was OK but the real highlight is the fantastic performance by Rain Bi as a vengeful brother. Great music too.

Pasta - I enjoyed this one mainly for the cooking theme but the romance between the chef and the cook wasn't always believable.

Full House - I really liked this cute, fun romantic comedy. The chemistry between the leads was great.

I recently saw these three:

Fate Zero (anime) - outstanding
Madoka Magica (anime) - very good
A Gentleman's Dignity (K-drama) - excellent

I've started these:

Beethoven Virus (K-drama) - good so far
Fate Stay Night (anime) - good so far

Asian Film List

As an FYI to all, there are two new K-dramas that just started. They star two of my favorite TV actresses!

I Miss You (aka Missing You) - starring Eun-hye Yoon (from Coffee Prince, Lie To Me, etc.) http://asianwiki.com/I_Miss_You_-_Korean_Drama

The King of Dramas - starring Ryeo-won Jeong (from Castaway on the Moon, History of the Salaryman, etc.) http://asianwiki.com/The_King_of_Dramas

I saw the first two episodes for both of these, and they are quite good. "I Miss You" is very serious thusfar, but very high quality in terms of acting and character development.

Asian Film List

i think i'll check out the king of drama,

i've seriously got it bad for Ryeo-won jeong.

hey ebo, have you watched anything from BRIDAL MASK (south korean tv drama)
it's an action/adventure type of show, 28 episodes.

it might be the next one i get stuck into, looks good.

I have not seen Bridal Mask, but I am a fan of the lead actor. I'll probably check it out eventually.

Asian Film List

The King of Dramas turned out to be very entertaining, even though the latter episodes scrapped the suspense elements are were a bit slower.

I Miss You is definitely dragging out a bit. It was extended to 21 episodes but I'm sure they could have wrapped things up in 16. Nevertheless, I'm a Eun-hye Yoon fanboy so her presence is enough motivation to slug through the remaining 3 episodes.

I haven't seen many K-dramas recently due to huge quantities of movies that fell onto my lap, but I'm going to continue stalking, er I mean following, certain actresses in my next K-drama project:

Style - Ji-ah Lee
Twelve Men in a Year - Jin-seo Yoon from "Voices" and "A Good Day To Have An Affair"
Color of a Woman - So-yi Yoon from "Shadowless Sword", who I have not seen in anything else!
King 2hearts - Ji-won Ha, nuff said
Arang and the Magistrate - Min-a Shin

Asian Film List

I'm currently 10 episodes into "The King of Dramas" and it's awesome. I hope they continue to keep the brisk pacing and engaging conflicts. Ryeo-won Jeong is awesome in it, which is no surprise.

I'm currently 8 episodes into "I Miss You" and it's good. The first four episodes are real nasty though, so it's difficult to survive all of the misery and suffering that the characters go through. The current episodes are more enjoyable.

I was also able to finish another Ryeo-won Jeong series:

Which Star Are You From? (aka What Planet Are You From?) (2006) (Korean Romantic Comedy/Drama Television Series) – Three years after the death of his girlfriend, a man sees another woman who looks exactly like her. A bit clunky during the opening episodes, but there are some interesting dilemmas and conflicts presented. The characters go through transitional stages and feel their way through the awkward scenario. Ryeo-won Jeong is excellent as she portrays a country bumpkin with sincerity and complexity. On the negative side, both of the “mother” characters are annoying in their childishness behavior, and the final episode is rather weak, but this is a good K-drama (16 episodes, 60 minutes each).

Asian Film List

After a bit of a break from watching K-dramas, I've just finished Faith: The Great Doctor with Lee Min-ho. I really enjoyed the combination of historical drama, wuxia, romance, time travel and villains with fantastical X-Men-style super powers. Lee Min-ho held his own as the stoic 14th century warrior and the villains were particularly memorable. This genre may not be everyone's cup of tea but I thought it well-done and entertaining.

Flower Boy Next Door

I'm watching Flower Boy Next Door and I LOVE IT. Makes me feel so nice and the male leads is super dreamy and it's only ~45 min an episode because it's a tvN drama! I've loved all the tvN dramas I've watched so far so I think if I pick up another after this it'll be another from that channel, like Reply 1997.

Where's my elephant?

Based on recommendations here, I've watched the following dramas:

Padam, Padam - Lovely, touching story and surprisingly down-to-earth, despite the fantasy elements. I'm a fan of Jung Woo Sung (have mostly seen him in action films) and here he is almost unrecognizable in the role of an ex-con.

Shining Inheritance - Loved it, especially the lead female and grandmother characters and their relationship.

Currently on the list to watch:

Bridal Mask
King 2 Hearts
Runaway Plan B
All In
Jewel in the Palace