Beauty and the Beast : What do people think of the idea of Belle and Gaston being together?

What do people think of the idea of Belle and Gaston being together?

Why not? She's the hottest woman in town and he's the hottest guy. She could change the Beast and make him a better person so couldn't she help Gaston become a better person too?

Re: What do people think of the idea of Belle and Gaston being together?

Good point. Depends on whether Gaston wanted to change or not. We see right away that Gaston is dismissive of reading, despite the whole town knowing that's Belle's passion. He throws her book in the mud. Beast gives her a library.

That being said:

She's the hottest woman in town and he's the hottest guy.

Part of the movie's message is that should not matter.

Seize the moment, 'cause tomorrow you might be dead.

But the beast was a jerky human once too, if gaston had been cursed and put in a position where he had no choice but to learn to be better, then he could potentially learn the same lesson beast did.

He had the chance to redeem himself after the Beast spared his life, but instead he chose to literally stab him in the back.

Indeed, that is when we know that there's no chance for Gaston to become good.

Intelligence and purity.

In the end, Gaston was a ego centric dick. He reminded me of Phoebus from Victor Hugo's Hunchback of Notre Dame (obviously not the Disney version, the original novel by Victor Hugo) and/or Cal from Titanic. We should probably bear in mind Rose essentially didn't want to be with Cal in the long run for the same reason Belle didn't want to be with Gaston. If you or anybody else have checked my profile, you might know I don't like Titanic; I consider it my least favorite James Cameron film as opposed to thinking Avatar is his weakest, but I'm still not going to be biased and as someone who sat through that three hour chick flick, I can honestly say Gaston was no different than Cal. Although personally, I don't get why Cameron didn't make Cal a womanizer like Gaston or the depiction of Phoebus from the original novelization of Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo. All three characters were basically no different than the captain of the high school football team who is an ego centric ass hole who all the women, especially the preps and cheerleaders fawn over.

Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, and My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fan

I don't get why Cameron didn't make Cal a womanizer like Gaston or the depiction of Phoebus from the original novelization of Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo.

Gaston's not a womanizer, actually, as there's zero evidence that he's even slept around, unlike with, say, Lumiere, where they kinda ram it down our throats in this film (especially Human Again) and in different mediums. Actually, if anything, considering he completely ignored the triplets who crushed on him, it's actually very unlikely, if not completely impossible for him to be a womanizer. Now, I'll acknowledge he's a male chauvinist, believing males to be superior to women in every way, but he's not a womanizer, at least, not in the film and comics. Now, in the Broadway Musical, yes, he most certainly was one if his comment about he and the triplets having their "rendezvouses" after marrying Belle is anything to go by.

You are definitely on the mark with Phoebus in the original Hunchback of Notre Dame book, though.

Yeah, that was shtty of Gaston to do! Stabbing someone after they showed you mercy and compassion by deciding NOT to kill you after they saw how scared you were? *beep*

Drake is repetitive. He just raps the same thing over and over as if he is in an insane asylum!LOL:D

I know this has been mentioned many times, but maybe Gaston should've gotten the beast curse like the prince did. IDK if the writers at Disney had seen Jean Cocteau's version and if they did, maybe they didn't want to copy too much from that version. I think I've heard rumors that any similarities between Disney's version and Cocteau's version are merely coincidental so maybe that implies the writers didn't see Cocteau's version.

Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, and My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fan

Belle should have chosen gaston he was cool hated beast

I can definitely confirm that at the very least Woolverton didn't see the Cocteau version and in fact she went out of her way to avoid seeing it (not to mention apparently she based Gaston on several of her exes).

I can tell you for sure that is a bad idea, I mean while he liked her a lot she didn't like him and i think at all, or in the very least romantically interested in him in the very least. And to her father she calls him rude, and even that he is not the one for her. Ands outside the home a few minutes before, Gaston pretends to have Belle's side when Belle tells Lefou ":don't talk about my father that way". And the after the explosion and she runs to to basement, he and Lefou are seen laughing behind Belle';s back. Plus she is the herioine and Gaston is the villain, and that would not be a good match at all.

Yeah but she felt the same way about the beast at first until she got to know him. If Gaston had a big house with a dungeon and he locked her up forever then she would eventually learn to love him, it worked for the beast. It was very noble of Gaston to defend her father's honour in front of her.

I'm kidding of course, I don't actually want Belle and Gaston to end up together. I'm mostly just sad for the village, Gaston was the heart of that town and he was in the prime of his life

Yeah but she felt the same way about the beast at first until she got to know him. If Gaston had a big house with a dungeon and he locked her up forever then she would eventually learn to love him, it worked for the beast. It was very noble of Gaston to defend her father's honour in front of her.

Okay, you later said that you were kidding. But I want to reply to this anyway: Belle only started to like Beast after he saved her life and changed into a better person. So if Gaston had gone through a similar developement... yeah, then things would probably have been different. But he didn't change for the better; he changed for the worse!

I'm kidding of course, I don't actually want Belle and Gaston to end up together. I'm mostly just sad for the village, Gaston was the heart of that town and he was in the prime of his life

I like to think that the villagers started to respect Belle and the prince, so they could become their new leaders.

Intelligence and purity.

Okay, you later said that you were kidding. But I want to reply to this anyway: Belle only started to like Beast after he saved her life and changed into a better person. So if Gaston had gone through a similar developement... yeah, then things would probably have been different. But he didn't change for the better; he changed for the worse!

Well, technically, Belle only started to like Beast after he gave her that library. Even after the wolf attack, it's implied that she didn't exactly like him (she entered a vicious argument with Beast, pretty much blaming him for what happened without even acknowledging she was at fault, and when Beast was about to give her the library and requested she close her eyes, she basically glared at him with suspicion before heeding his request when he stated that it was a surprise.). But yeah, no way in heck Gaston would gain Belle with his actions.

I like to think that the villagers started to respect Belle and the prince, so they could become their new leaders.

Yeah, though that's assuming the French Revolution doesn't occur shortly afterwards, which going by Glen Keane's commentary on the setting of the film, it may very likely occur afterward. And even there, I'm more concerned with how Belle will end up regarding the French Revolution than how the villagers will end up (and I don't mean being killed by an unruly mob. No, I actually mean something far WORSE than that: she actually JOIN an unruly mob.). In fact, I fear she'll be so drunk in Enlightenment thought that she'll end up leading the Jacobins over to the village and trying to burn it down, also backstab Adam (and yes, Adam IS the Prince's official name, as even Paige O'Hara indicated it was his official name). And her reasons for joining is simply because her literacy had her buying the French Philosophes's words easily even when she should know better. In other words, she'd ironically be to the French Enlightenment, what the triplets were to Gaston.

You might be wondering, why on earth would I think something like that. It's simple, really, because that's EXACTLY why the French Revolutionaries did what they did (and bear in mind, a lot of them were definitely literate. Robespierre, for example, was a former lawyer). For example, Louis de Saint Just, Maximilien de Robespierre, and Jean-Paul Marat specifically cited Jean-Jacques Rousseau's ideals for the world as being inspiration for several of their horrendous actions among others (for example, Marat deliberately made himself disheveled and dirty in presentation in order “to live simply and according to the precepts of Rousseau.”, Robespierre declared “Rousseau is the one man who, through the loftiness of his soul and the grandeur of his character, showed himself worthy of the role of teacher of mankind.” in a speech, and at the National Assembly, many times Saint-Just invoked Rousseau's name for the more bloodthirsty of the murders). And he is not even the only major influence on the French Revolution and its excesses. Jean-Baptiste Carrier, for example, when organizing the infamous French Weddings at the Noyades in the Loire, specifically referred to them as Le flambeau de la philosophie (The torch of philosophy). If that phrase sounds familiar to anyone, the Marquis de Sade frequently used that expression (yes, THAT Marquis de Sade, the same guy who gave "Sadism" its name, and the same guy who wrote 120 Nights of Sodom). It wouldn't even be the last time Sade's name was invoked, either: Apparently, Joseph LeBon and his wife had guillotine victims at Arras undressed and placed in crude positions at the batteries nationales that were inspired by the illustrations of 120 Nights of Sodom. Even Voltaire and Denis Diderot played a huge role in the events of the French Revolution, namely, they published books that demonized Christianity in every way and made sure they were cheap enough for even the Peasant class across France to afford them, and it inevitably worked. If people who were clearly literate could be swayed easily by their silver lies, what makes you think Belle has a chance at resisting them, especially when she has not demonstrated any degree of critical thinking regarding literature.

Even in current history, there's some precedent. Don't forget that the so-called "most intelligent person ever", Jean-Paul Sartre, actually called that mass-murdering terrorist Che Guevara "the most complete human being of the century."

Sources in case anyone needs them:

*http://www.stephenhicks.org/2010/01/07/rousseau-and-the-french-revolution/
*http://www.culturewars.com/CultureWars/Archives/Fidelity_archives/parricide.html
*http://www.westernfreepress.com/2012/09/15/psychopaths-sociopaths-and-obama-supporters/
*http://www.wnd.com/2006/04/35810/#LFe1HvZ0eTHxBBmT.99

You're such an uninformed, idiotic little bastard who is too young to be involved in these kinds of things!

And Adam is NOT Beast's official name. Paige O'Hara never said anything of the sort, you pathetic little whimp! 😡

Oh, geez, you're back as a thorn. Honestly, Alex2424121 was right to ban you after all the crap you dealt on Disney Wiki, and I wasn't even the one who suggested he ban you that time, he came to that decision after you frankly insulted him.

You're such an uninformed, idiotic little bastard who is too young to be involved in these kinds of things!

First of all, I'm 26 years old (27 coming this Valentine's Day), so I'm not too young to be involved in this. If anything, saying I'm too old for this is a bit more accurate. Second of all, I've gotten out of college, and have spent a LOT of time getting myself informed about actual history, and not the crap they call history right now in education with the peddling of Cultural Marxism, otherwise known as Political Correctness.

And Adam is NOT Beast's official name. Paige O'Hara never said anything of the sort, you pathetic little whimp! 😡

Really? Because this video has Page O'Hara confirming it and saying that, and I quote, "Disney will always deny it": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dafZc5xGLNE

Belle did save him from the wolves after he saved her, which shows perhaps the beginning of affection, or at leas the acknowledgement that she appreciated what he had done for her. And i think she was already beginning to be fond of him before he showed her the library, when he leads her there and tells her to close her eyes, she seems happy to follow his lead, she is not suspicious or anything, she seems relaxed in his company.

I don't think the french revolution will occur in Belle's lifetime, or at all in the fantasy France that she inhabits.

Belle did save him from the wolves after he saved her, which shows perhaps the beginning of affection, or at leas the acknowledgement that she appreciated what he had done for her. And i think she was already beginning to be fond of him before he showed her the library, when he leads her there and tells her to close her eyes, she seems happy to follow his lead, she is not suspicious or anything, she seems relaxed in his company.

This doesn't look like she's particularly happy to follow his lead, it looked more suspicious or anything: http://www.caps.media/199/1-beauty-and-the-beast/full/beauty-and-the-beast-disneyscreencaps.com-6009.jpg Not to mention Beast had to insist that it's a surprise just to get her to go along with it.

I will concede that she did save Beast from the cold after he in turn saved her from the wolves, though after that she basically blamed him for the events that transpired, despite the fact that, if anything, she was most responsible for what had actually happened.

I don't think the french revolution will occur in Belle's lifetime, or at all in the fantasy France that she inhabits.

Glen Keane confirmed that the film took place in mid-to-late 18th century France (ie, the 1700s), that means the French Revolution actually IS very likely to be in her life time. Besides, the film also had the Baroque period mentioned at one point by Cogsworth.

i think in the picture she looks more curious than anything.

And I can't really imagine the French revolution occuring in the fantasy magical France that they inhabit. They don't usuallym have revolutions in fairy tales.

well, it would make the whole film a bit pointless really. if belle isn't going to end up with the beast, what would you call the film?