Clerks : Video Rental Stores in Movies

Video Rental Stores in Movies

The last video store in my area finally closed its doors this past week and it got me thinking about what movies feature video stores, be they central parts of the plot or just the setting for a singular scene...

The one that came to mind right away was "Clerks," obviously, and Randal Graves' place of employment, RST Video, which is connected to the Quick Stop Convenience store. It was located in Leonardo, NJ.

Another one that comes to mind is "Serial Mom" where Matthew Lillard's character Chip, gorehound that he is, works at a video store. The real-life location was Video Americain located in Baltimore, MD.

The last one I could come up with also features Lillard and it's "Scream" with Jamie Kennedy's character Randy working at one. The real-life location was Bradley Video located in Santa Rosa, CA.

I'm sure there are a number of others one out there, so hopefully some of you guys can help add to the list!

Re: Video Rental Stores in Movies

Yeah video store were once so prominent but now they are few and far between. I do have a Family Video in my hometown though.

This is certainly one thing that is dated about Clerks and Clerks II. If they make a Clerks III I find it hard to believe that video stores have survived that long and likely Randal might be out of a job.

One movie you didn't mention where a video store is central to the plot is "The Fisher King."

This is certainly one thing that is dated about Clerks and Clerks II. If they make a Clerks III I find it hard to believe that video stores have survived that long and likely Randal might be out of a job.

Not necessarily. A lot switched to dvd rental.

Can't stop the signal.

It's been awhile since I watched it(actually re-watching this first one which prompted me to peruse this board) but don't they agree to start their own business together at the end of "Clerks II"? And, if they do make "Clerks III"(just found out about it when re-reading the trivia here), how much do you want to bet it's a comic book store to mirror Smith's Secret Stash irl?

Oh, and hey there PreachCaleb. We meet again. lol

I would like, if I may, to take you on a strange journey.

I have a Family Video about 15 minutes away from my house.

What are you talking about? You just said there's one in your town. I have 3 Family Videos within 20 minutes of me.

It's amazing how fast rental stores crashed. DVD rental was alive and well throughout the first decade of the 2000's. In 2009, my city had 11 stores where you could rent movies, today we only have 3.

Thought of a few:

James Marsden's character in Sugar and Spice has a scene or two where he begins working in a video store to supplement income for his pregnant girlfriend.

Fight Club has that brief scene where they're using those industrial magnets to wipe all the VHS tapes at the rental store

I just asked my girlfriend if she could think of any and she said "The Holiday". Jack Black and Kate Winslet go into a rental store for a scene

Be Kind Rewind is a great film about a video store and how dvd's pushed it away

Not a central figure but in American Psycho there's a recurring line about how characters need to 'return some videotapes.'

Look up under the keyword section on imdb video store.

Blockbuster Video in "Jurassic Park II" and there is one in "Last Action Hero".

🏈

Be Kind Rewind, with Jack Black.

Molly Shannon works in a video store in Superstar. She is in charge of rewinding all the movies, which she ends up watching them in reverse as well.
No, it's not a video store, but Empire Records was also awesome with a record store setting.
And I know there are more, just can't recall right now. I seem to remember a fight scene in a movie where they knock over a video shelf, but that film escapes me, as well.
Clerks is one of my all-time favs. As a past BBV employee (99-02) this movie is so relatable and hysterical to me. Anyone who has ever worked in retail can totally relate.

"The Big Hit"

A running gag is Wahlberg's character having to return a overdue video(Roland Emmerich's "Godzilla" iirc). He gets his revenge on the uppity clerk who keeps pestering him about it when the store gets blown up in a fight between him and Lou Diamond Phillip's character near the end. Thank god for that "Golden Shower" promotional stand-up though otherwise Wahlberg's character wouldn't have survived the explosion. lol

I would like, if I may, to take you on a strange journey.

Sorry about your video store. The last man standing in my area closed its doors about 6 months ago as well.

I was sad in a nostalgic kind of way until I realized I hadn't even rented a video/DVD for at least the past 5 years.

Never defend crap with 'It's just a movie'
http://www.youtube.com/user/BigGreenProds

Remote Control from 1988. Kevin Dillon is a video store clerk who discovers their latest release is brainwashing people and driving them to kill.

Two others that I thought of were The Lost Boys and The Fisher King. I worked at a video store in West Hollywood from 1988 to 1997 which just closed at the end of last year after being in business for 32 years. When Clerks came out, we played it on the monitor all the time, as well as Serial Mom. REWIND!!!! By the way, loved the roast beef, hated Annie.

"Great theater makes you smile. Outstanding theater may make you weep."

"Muriel's Wedding." Although not exactly central to the plot, Muriel (or I guess at this point in the movie I should say "Mariel") works in a video rental place when she and her friend move away from Porpoise Spit. In the scene where the poor schnook is working up the nerve to ask her out, Muriel is playing the royal wedding (Charles and Diana) over and over again on the store monitors and on the little tv that she has on the counter.

Cool.

The Fisher King

What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.