Clerks : Street hockey???

Street hockey???

When I first saw this, I figured Dante played recreational ice hockey (hence his bitching about missing a hockey game), but then it turned out to be street hockey. I mean, really? Grown men in their 20s so devoted to street hockey??? It would make a little more sense if he was 10-12 years old...

Re: Street hockey???

Yeah its sorta like how Brodie in Mallrats was so excited about going to the mall for the day. He was how old, like 22-23? When I was that age, I was that excited about going out to bars and clubs. Still am

cheaper to film street hockey, than ice hockey.. low budget films may have plot points that were dependent on $$$

you're right though... kind of a stretch to believe they would play on the roof too..

It's a commentary on how big of a manchild Dante is that he freaks out over a street hockey game with friends, non-competitive, so much that he complains to his boss about missing it. The reveal that the game Dante was freaking out about wasn't recreational ice hockey but rather just something he did some afternoons with friends. Something got lost in translation because back in the 90s being a manchild who did that was kind of endearing or fun while today it's seen as total immaturity and not in a good way (see Edgar Wright with his Cornetto Trilogy on how manchildism is seen today).

Your day could be worse

One needs to remember that Clerks is based on Kevin Smith's life in his early 20's and that Dante is based on himself. If you have ever seen his show Comicbook Men, his crew from NJ to this day still play street hockey.

I don't believe Dante was being a manchild. I offer this as a counter:

Dante was in his early 20's, a college drop out, worked a low wage job, was stuck in a rut, and realized he was going no where in life. The only passion that he had was for a weekly street hockey game, which was most likely his medium for releasing steam and built up anger. Everything in his life revolved around this weekly game. Being called into work on his day off, resulting in missing his weekly passion, rightfully set him off. Did he whine like a little girl? Yes. Pathetic? A little. Manchildish, not so much. He could have just gotten hammered a bar every night or got high as a kite watching adult swim nightly instead. What's worse?

I'm in my early 30's and I still play competitive beer league ice hockey every Friday night. There are guys who are like Dante: 20-35, live at home or on a friends couch, low wage job or no job, going no where in life. Their life revolves around mens league hockey, often playing 5 nights a week in various leagues (rarely paying). We call them the 'professional mens league players' not manchilds.

Exactly, these were manchildren. Look at Seinfeld for other cultural references, albeit an older crowd in there. These guys focused on the minuscule and something like an afternoon hockey game was extremely important to them.

They have these organized leagues here in Massachusetts, it's a little ridiculous how serious they are about playtime. Sort of like those middle aged basketball games that hog of up the courts for teenagers who want to get a few hoops in.

Well it's a bit more than street hockey since he was wearing skates. That makes it roller hockey. The only guy running was the guy that wanted cigarettes.

I bought it.

It seemed their excuse to all hang out with one another. The way they dressed, the guy roller bladed, equipment... it seems some or at least one of 'em probably played ice hockey on the side.

What I don't totally buy, & I completely let it go cuz the movie's awesome, is playing on the roof- with 1 f'n ball lols.
No way hockey works without some physical boundaries/walls/hedges/etc to keep the ball in play/nearby. They had to have simply been playing shinny, sans big shots lest one of 'em had to climb down every other shot to grab the ball.

My friends & I played street hockey usually on a driveway, one end 'walled' with closed garage door. The open end wasn't much of a thing, could at least find the tennis balls we'd shot out in the actual street from the driveway.

What I don't totally buy, & I completely let it go cuz the movie's awesome, is playing on the roof- with 1 f'n ball lols.
No way hockey works without some physical boundaries/walls/hedges/etc to keep the ball in play/nearby. They had to have simply been playing shinny, sans big shots lest one of 'em had to climb down every other shot to grab the ball.

LOL, I had the same thought. Hockey -- even street hockey -- can get pretty rough. There's no way anyone would ever play on a roof with such short walls/guards. You'd think the chances of getting knocked down and falling off while fighting for the ball would be pretty high. And, even more glaringly, a ball falling off the roof isn't even a possibility, it's just flat-out inevitable.

That said, this didn't bother me. I guess I just laughed it off and let it go. In fact, it was so ridiculous that I can only assume Smith was just having fun with an absurd concept.

It's not even about road hockey being rough.

I grew up playing on driveways & one end always needed to be a shut garage door. The open end had to face an opposite neighbour's empty driveway because no way would we want to f up someone else's car.
We used tennis balls btw.

I don't see what's so wrong about it. People are passionate about different things. Anyway, it just made the scene funnier finding out that this was what he was pissed off about.

Poorly Lived and Poorly Died, Poorly Buried and No One Cried