Clerks : Asking for a pack of cigarettes?

Asking for a pack of cigarettes?

Did anyone else find strange that people just went in there asking for a pack of cigarettes and not naming what kind? I mean when I go to buy cigarettes I name the brand like ''can I get a pack of Lucky Strike?''. But these people just go in there asking for cigarettes and the cashier throws them a pack.

Now, I don't live in the U.S. but is that really how it works?

Re: Asking for a pack of cigarettes?

@isakregal People usually ask for a particular brand. I think it was an artistic decision to have them ask for "cigarettes." Some directors prefer it, I don't know why though. X-Men does the same thing, it has Wolverine ask for "a beer" rather than a particular brand.

Maybe it's to avoid an audience (remember movies play worldwide) not knowing the brand and causing confusion, or to avoid the accusation of product placement. I'm not sure though.

Some people probably don't really care either. Beer, cigarette. Brand doesn't matter.

Though your explanation is probably the correct one.

Straightedge means I'm better than you.

The trivia states that no cigarette brands were mentioned so there wouldn't be any legal actions or so.

OMFG an actual relevant message board post.

(like finding a diamond in a pile of coal)

THANK YOU

~~the coins in the jar are for charity,~~
~~the coins in the tray are for sharing~~

It was for the same reason that there is tape over the Hostess pies and other items. If you use a name brand, you need permission and that usually costs.

For the record, when you go into the Quick Stop and ask for "a pack of cigarettes.." you get a look from the clerk that makes it hard for a smile not to creep across ones face :)

When I worked at Walgreens people all the time would come in and say I want my cigarettes. They were the regulars. I got the same impression from the movie that some maybe regulars.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Pretty sure Kevin Smith didn't want to mess with using any brand names. The nudie magazine was never mentioned by name either when the guy asked for one.

DRAGON¸.•´¸.•*´¨SWAK¸.•´¸

To hell with cigarettes. Buy Chewlies Gum.

Yeah, it's likely supposed to be Wrigleys.

In the Qwik Stop, they only sold 1 brand of smokes - it cut down on the confusion, and it made doing inventory much simpler. Also, when customers would throw the unlit smokes back at you, you could just repackage them.

Brains are good, especially when sauteed with carmelized onions.

I've just always assumed that in the Askewniverse there's a tobacco company that makes Cigarettes brand cigarettes.

But really, it's the same reason people in movies go into a bar and order 'beer'.

Nails, right? Isn't that the brand that universe uses?

I hate IMDB's Signature policy...

In correct, highlight for the correct answer.

Nobody gives a *beep*

Kevin Smith said in one of his podcasts that Leonardo was a small town. Because of this, he and Bryan Johnson( also known as Steve-Dave in the other Smith films) knew pretty much everyone that came in the shop. Thus, after a few run-ins with each customer, they came to know what brand each person smoked. As a clerk, I can say that this is totally true. I have customers that I'll see in the parking lot and I'll immediately grab their preferred brand, whether it be Parliament Lights or Newports, and I'm right 95%of the time. Also, when making a movie, you don't want to use a specific brand, because if you do they have the right to sue. For example, Clerks 2 has an "I love NJ" shirt in the dance montage, and the company that makes those shirts sued because of trademark laws to the tune of a couple hundred thousand dollars. And considering Clerks was made for $27,575, I doubt a lawsuit from Marlboro was in their budget.

The reason behind this is so obvious if you know a thing or two about how convenient stores, gas stations, corner stores etc operate. 90% of the time the people who come into a store to buy a pack of cigarettes are REGULARS.. They say 'cigarettes' because the CLERK knows exactly what brand they smoke . It's highly unlikely that someone comes in and buys a different brand of cigarette and if they do, the CLERK knows.

Another reason is because of licensing agreements. If you mention a brand, you have to pay them money... so they won't use real company names.

If you watch Rolling Thunder, Major Rane orders a "beer, tap" and they bring him one, no brand named at all. On the flip side, Harvey Keitel orders a beer in Falling In Love and the poor server has to go through the entire roster of what they had. He hastily says "Anything, really" and the girl goes "Give me a break." (as to show they need a brand).

He went with Miller Lite, for those keeping score.

Another reason is because of licensing agreements. If you mention a brand, you have to pay them money... so they won't use real company names.

That's the only logical explanation. I don't think you need to debate further than that.

Only one brand of cigarettes in the Askewniverse: Nails brand Cigarettes. Just like in Tarrantino movies, the only brand of cigarettes is: Red Apple Cigarettes.

Sigh another idiot. It's because they don't want to use specific product placement. You don't have to be from the best country in the Universe AKA the United States of America to know this.